• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

post a *PIC* of your latest purchase (can be anything as long as you purchased it)

Cool, gotcha.
Question: When would this normally be used? Initial lathe / mill setup to verify actual speed(s) vs what is identified on the machine's speed - feed plaque?

Yeah. More apt for back in the day when all machines were run from a belt and linesahft system, and you wouldn't know how fast it was running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qt5tltnvF8

You just stick the point end onto the spinny part for some period of time and read how many rotations and then figure out the RPM, or you can put a wheel on it and put against the side of a drill bit or round bar in the lathe to measure cutting speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWlkobzKgk

The only reason I got it was to make my toolbox heavier. :laughing

Last edited:
Mee Too. Mine was ten bucks...:cool
attachment.php

And here I thought it was a drift punch with a swing o’meter gauge so you knew how hard you hit it...:rolleyes

Last edited:
Speaking of tools. Had to step up my torque game recently. I already had the 3/8” Techangle years ago. The stuff I do now requires a lot of torque to yield on smaller fasteners now. And my 1/2” was so old, I figured it was time to get a proper 1/2” setup.

Attachments

• E0C46D4A-B1E8-4A46-8032-4D98B94C5C75.jpg
    E0C46D4A-B1E8-4A46-8032-4D98B94C5C75.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 303
^Interesting. Where are torque to yield fasteners popping up? Like bolted together sub frames or something? What are you describing as "smaller." 3/8" diameter and under?

Could have bought 50 AAPL shares for the price of those

More like 8 but yeah I get it, this stuff is obscenely priced.

^Interesting. Where are torque to yield fasteners popping up? Like bolted together sub frames or something? What are you describing as "smaller." 3/8" diameter and under?

All dem “yurapeein” cars.

Never thought I’d see torque to yield on something as small as M5 bolts. But yeah, they do it.

Speaking of tools. Had to step up my torque game recently. I already had the 3/8” Techangle years ago. The stuff I do now requires a lot of torque to yield on smaller fasteners now. And my 1/2” was so old, I figured it was time to get a proper 1/2” setup.

Im so happy I dont have to buy tools anymore, only thing I worry about now is if my pen has enough ink to finish the bill. :rofl

Crazy. So how is TTY different from Angle Torqueing? I just had to remove my clutch pack and the shop manual called for 40 deg angle torqueing the bolts after an initial 40 Nm torque.

About every two weeks someone breaks a torque wrench at work. Couple of weeks ago they broke two in one day. Guys use them with a crowfoot attachment to get around 275 ft/lbs and they keep breaking in the same place.
Company keeps buying cheap Jet brand, not sure if there’s a replacement warranty.

Crazy. So how is TTY different from Angle Torqueing? I just had to remove my clutch pack and the shop manual called for 40 deg angle torqueing the bolts after an initial 40 Nm torque.

I said it wrong. Torque to yield also means one time use bolt. And you will almost always be installing a torque to yield bolt by tightening to a specified torque specification first. The is the “torque” part as it cinches the bolt down. Then the specified amount of angle you turn it after stretches the threads close to the point of failure. Hence the “to yield” part.

I have seen specifications to measure x threads in xx millimeters to determine if you can reuse something like a torque to yield cylinder head bolt. And sadly I have done it. Operating under what warranty pays for and what they won’t really makes me sick sometimes. But bolts like this really should always be replaced every time. The bolt was weakened once already the first time it was installed. Why change that it will be strong enough to hold a second time.

Making this for Christmas. I didn't want to shop tomorrow so I figured I would just do a little time travel instead. Glad I got back in one piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_145301_01_compress77.jpg
    IMG_20201223_145301_01_compress77.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 46
Making this for Christmas. I didn't want to shop tomorrow so I figured I would just do a little time travel instead. Glad I got back in one piece.

Yum.

(It was packed tomorrow, you know?)

Last edited:
Back