prepping for touring

crick

Doodler
Moto(s)
BMW R1200RT, f800ST, sold: honda vlx600, Suzuki GSX600F
Name
aLbert
Hi guys!

I'm planning on doing a long ride down to SoCal to visit family and just takin' it easy and enjoying the ride as i go down there.

I've done all-day rides around town for like 8-9 hours, but it was all local, so i was never afraid of being stranded.

So far, the best advice i heard was "Whatever clothes you plan on taking, take half of that. Whatever money you plan on bringing, bring twice as that."

-I've got plenty of luggage room with panniers, tank, and topcase along with a duffel.
-GPS handy dandy
-planning on getting extra bulbs for the headlight/blinkers
-got an airHawk
-got allweather riding gear

pretty much covers it?

i'm not planning on camping so no camping gear.

anyways, advice and comments are totally welcome, if there's somethng i'm doing completely wrong or words of warning, please dont hesitate

thanks in advance :)

Bring jumper cables, in the event that something happens to the charging system and you can't get the bike bump started.

Also wouldn't hurt to have a small electric compressor and/or hand pump :thumbup

Wouldn't hurt to stash some duct tape, wd-40, bailing wire, zip ties, and assorted tools in your tool kit if you don't already have them.
Never know when you'll need something :)

The problem you're running into is that you have "too much" room for a short trip and you're going to end up carrying way too much gear for such a short ride.

What you need is this: a slightly beefed out tool kit with zip ties in three sizes, a reliable and small electric pump that will plug into your BMW plug, some "string thing" tire plugs from Kragen and a good idea how to use them. (you should always have these things on your bike anyway)

Check you oil before you go, make sure your tires will make it to your destination (and back if you don't plan on buying any), put gas in the bike and ride. The F800 is a reliable bike, you don't need to be ready for armageddon.:)

Skip the jumper cables. They're too big, and if your bike has never shown issues with keeping a battery charged while running or not, you'll not likely suddenly have charging issues. Skip the mondo tool kit unless you know how to use it all and are inclined to dismantle your bike on the side of the road (instead of calling the tow service.) Skip the light bulbs. Same reason- and besides you can get a suitable replacement from any auto-parts store or car dealer. In fact, you'll get the same bulbs from the VW dealer as the BMW dealer but you'll pay less than half. There are only so many types of bulbs out there, just about every auto place has most types.

You're not riding into the middle of Mongolia- you're riding along a very populated, very well traveled corridor with lots of people and lots of civilization. If you didn't bring it you'll be able to buy it, or ask for help. The chances of either are small.

Tire plug kit and something to re-inflate with are essential.

Here is a list I use every year for my ride to Oregon.
Your use may vary.
Keep your bags loaded evenly.

• 1/4" socket with extension and 8mm, 10mm, 12mm
3/8" socket with 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
• Open end wrenches
• Crescent wrench
• long flat screw driver
• Two Phillips screw drivers with different size heads
• Extra bungies and zip ties
• Duct tape
• Flash light
• Nylon rope
• Air pump
• Tire plug kit
• Strap for connecting luggage
• Leatherman
• Electrical tape
• Spare fuses
• Spare nuts and bolts
• Allen wrench set
• Shop manual
• Camera
• Log book
• Credit card
• Cell phone

I've made the ride to LA a few times on my bike using just a WWII back pack attached to the passenger backrest. How long are you going down for? What part of SoCal? Those two questions should dictate how much crap you need to pack.
Must haves IMHO:
zip ties (longest size, they can be cut down if too big)

leatherman

tire plug kit complete w/CO2 inflator (inflator is designed to get you to a real air pump. small enough to carry in your riding jacket)

duct tape & electrical tape

fold up allen/torx key set

liner for your jacket & raingear.

Assumptions:

- Your bike is fairly new and in great condition.
- You are determined not to fall down.

Then:

- a slightly beefed up tool set per boney's suggestion
- a tire patch kit
- a method of inflating a tire (a pump, or a handful of CO2 cartridges)
- a pair of rubber gloves and a rag or two
- a small can of chain lube
- a *basic*, *basic* first aid kit, if you care
- a disc lock
- a digital camera

All other items, including underwear, are optional. Again, as boney pointed out, SoCal is not Mongolia. You can always buy, beg, or borrow along the way. (I wouldn't lend or borrow underwear, but that's just me.) :twofinger

I wouldn't bring too much cash. I use my credit card for gas and just about anything. I keep only enough cash for a day or two's meals. Again, there are banks along the way, if you need cash.

The most overlooked scenarios of being stranded are:

- I lost my wallet.

- I lost the key to my bike.

- I lost the key to my disc lock.

So, keep your wallet secured, and bring spare keys. :)

:D

thanks so much guys! definitely added a lot of things i missed. I for one forgot flashlight in there.

A friend recommended at least a bottle of oil

I'm a belt, no need for chain lube WOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning on taking 101 down to LA - family in rancho area. Figure i start easy with a ride to LA before doing something farther like oregon or... an ironButt :eek:

it's up for grabs whether i wanna stop off in the middle of cali and just browse around there for a day.

I see these touring vids that just makes it seem so awesome to be out there on the road with great scenery... i want to goto there :)

i think a tire patch kit and a good tool kit sounds highly essential. will look into those.

what would the zipTies be needed for? i've seen them in a couple toolKits.

Zip ties + duct tape: how to put a motorcycle back together after something vibrated loose or you dump it.

Rather than or in addition to a flashlight, a led headlamp - that runs on regular batteries - not watch batteries. Chewing on even the AAA mag light is not fun,- you're going to need two hands.

Latex gloves - stay cleaner, and work well under your gloves in a pinch if you start getting cold.

Replace your factory tools with 'real' ones.

Every time I work on my bike - I only use the tool kit I've built for it, rather than the 30 year collection of stuff in the rolling tool box. When I don't have something, I either put it on the list, order it online, or stop and go buy it. It only is used on the bike - it doesn't end up anywhere else. Well, other than the torque wrench/air tools.

Try out the air compressor and other stuff before you're on the side of the road. I found out my compressor doesn't work at all because of the spokes and had to change to a 90 degree valve so it will work.

Track down a copy of the ultralight touring book that aerostitch sells/includes free with orders over $xx. Their windstopper jersey is the greatest piece of gear ever IMO.

I go for bicycle hand pumps over co2 or electric pumps since they are pretty impossible to break and provide an unlimited supply of air if you have to deal with a slow leak. Would suck to use up all your co2 and realize the plug isn't holding or there is another leak. Electric pumps are nice but I can never bring myself to trust them to work when needed. Its a bit more work to pump up a tire by hand but can still be done in a few minutes. They also pack smaller and are cheaper. Get one for mountain bikes that is high volume and find a place that you can always leave it on the bike.

I don't bother with a first aid kit since anything that can be fixed with the average first aid kit really isn't an emergency and can wait till you get to a store. If needed the duct tape from your repair kit and some super glue is great for holding a cut together.

Don't forget sunglasses or tinted visor and earplugs.

I don't know if you have the time but going via Yoesemite and Sequoia parks in th western sierra would be a great two day trip right now. I went through sequoia last weekend and it was perfect riding weather.

I go for bicycle hand pumps over co2 or electric pumps since they are pretty impossible to break and provide an unlimited supply of air if you have to deal with a slow leak. Would suck to use up all your co2 and realize the plug isn't holding or there is another leak. Electric pumps are nice but I can never bring myself to trust them to work when needed. Its a bit more work to pump up a tire by hand but can still be done in a few minutes. They also pack smaller and are cheaper. Get one for mountain bikes that is high volume and find a place that you can always leave it on the bike.

This looks like a good suggestion. Do you recommend any particular models? How do you know if one is "high volume"?

I am all for being prepared but realistically, you wont need much...

It appears that you have a new bike probably under warranty. In the very unlikely event that it breaks down you could just call road side assistance and let them take care of it. Do you want to potentially make it worse or invalidate your warranty? It sounds like you will be on the main highway anyway. BMW roadside assistance is pretty good.

Checking the bike out thoroughly before you go is the best preparation you can do.

I highly recommend highway 1 if you haven't done it before.

Zip ties are good, but other than that I would just bring flip flops and a swim suite for Socal. (All that even fits in just a tank bag!)

I am all for being prepared but realistically, you wont need much...

It appears that you have a new bike probably under warranty. In the very unlikely event that it breaks down you could just call road side assistance and let them take care of it. Do you want to potentially make it worse or invalidate your warranty? It sounds like you will be on the main highway anyway. BMW roadside assistance is pretty good.

Checking the bike out thoroughly before you go is the best preparation you can do.

I highly recommend highway 1 if you haven't done it before.

Zip ties are good, but other than that I would just bring flip flops and a swim suite for Socal. (All that even fits in just a tank bag!)

hahahaha! duely noted.

Right now what i have are some torx bits for the BMW (friggin star screws!!!!), got on order a ratchet that supports both 3/8 inch and 1/4 inch bits in a compact form along with a small adjustable wrench. Also got on order a gerber multi-plier tool.

Gonna stuff some electrical tape, some plastic tie-things, and have an emergency tire repair kit that comes with CO2 canisters. probably a maglight too... All very small and compact and all seems to stuff below the seat just fine.

I dont expect much to happen. Secondly, i'm not a gear head, so i doubt i can make any significant repairs - much to my sadness :( thirdly, you're right, i do have roadside assistance (both BMW and from progressive) ... so if anything... i should really prepare by bringing a phone charger? :)

i had contemplated on a first aid kit... just in case of something like a papercut :p

btw, thanks guys. all this is very very damn helpful.

Last edited:
Actually, yes... You should bring a phone charger. I was thinking about saying as much earlier.

Riding tends to be hell on phone batteries. Being out of range, and getting weak signals consumes battery power much faster than you might expect, and I can say from personal experience that it sucks to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without a working phone.

Bring a charger, and a Cigarette > BMW adapter.

Back