• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

prepping for touring

Since we're talking touring stuff, I'm gonna get all geeky and preachy.:nerd

Use what you want, but here's why I DO NOT use CO2 cartridges:

They are a limited air supply. Period.

Should your tire continue to leak slowly or dog forbid your plug didn't set right, you're out of air. Right there on the side of the road you're no better off then when you started because YOU'RE OUT OF AIR. Get a cheap compressor or a small bicycle pump (and be ready to pump forever) if you want to know that you'll be able to ride after a flat. CO2 cartridges are guesswork, and only a limp-home thing at best.

The flat tire is the single most easily fixed and completely disabling issue you can have on a motorcycle. As I see it, you can either be ready to throw in the towel on a day's ride by not being ready for it, or you can spend a half-an-hour on the side of the road getting the tire back into shape so you can continue. That includes having the proper tools to plug the tire, and the proper equipment to air that tire up to the proper pressures to keep riding. In my somewhat extensive experience of long-distance riding and flat (tubeless) tires, that means carrying the el-cheapo sticky-string-thing tire plug kits from Kragen (they come in a yellow package and have all the tools), and a decent small compressor. Forget Slime- but not the Slime air pumps, they're pretty good. Forget the BMW tire plugs, the foil will tear and the plugs will dry out before you use them. Forget the Stop-n-Go plugger, those things only last a short while- until the steel belts in your tire cut the rubber plug. Don't buy the plugs wrapped in blue or red plastic. Nodoby knows if you're supposed to take the plastic off, which is impossible and messy, and if you put them in with the plastic on they come right out when you start riding.

Get the stuff that works and know how to use it.

It's you're choice. It's your ride. If you want to spend a good portion of you day messing around with stuff that "kinda works," or allows you to "limp home on low air pressure" go right ahead. My ride is not going to be anything but slightly inconvenienced by a carelessly lost nail or screw.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would carry inferior, and even improper equipment to fix something as easy as a flat, when all the equipment can be had for less than $40, is packaged small enough to carry all the time, and can be employed without much inconvenience or delay.

[/rant]

Whew!:ride

Last edited:
hey boney,

before you replied, i actually put in an order for a Slime compact air compressor that works off of the cigerette lighter? is that alright?

You're right tho, i put the air compressor on order because overall it'll just come in handy.

but i do have the stop-n-go plugger with mushroom thing :/ actually i have both stop and go mushroom plugger and another stop-n-go that comes with the sticky string and rubber cement.

sooooo... you've had not-so-good experience with the mushroom plugger?

hey boney,

before you replied, i actually put in an order for a Slime compact air compressor that works off of the cigerette lighter? is that alright?

You're right tho, i put the air compressor on order because overall it'll just come in handy.

but i do have the stop-n-go plugger with mushroom thing :/ actually i have both stop and go mushroom plugger and another stop-n-go that comes with the sticky string and rubber cement.

sooooo... you've had not-so-good experience with the mushroom plugger?

Does your bike have CANBUS? If so the slime compressor wont work if it is plugged to the BMW outlet. It will create a short, best to get a manual foot pump or directly wire it to your battery.

I have had a good experience with the mushroom plug.

Bring some JB Weld, cheap insurance that will seal anything metal.

Does your bike have CANBUS? If so the slime compressor wont work if it is plugged to the BMW outlet.

Huh? Are you saying that the compressor draws too much power to work from the BMW accessory socket?

The BMW sockets are electrically the same as a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. The big difference is that they are monitored and controlled by a computer. The computer will shut the sockets down if it determines that they are operating outside of normal operating parameters.

You can't plug a 12 volt charger into the plugs, but barring an over-draw condition, a small compressor should work fine.

Okay... I did some reading...

The slime compressor specifies a 10 amp requirement, but actually draws a hair under 5 amps.

The BMW factory accessory socket is specified for a maximum 5 amp draw.

So while it *should* work in the factory socket, using the slime compressor that way is not officially supported. To be honest, I wouldn't take the chance of being stuck on the side of the road that way.

The good news is that the slime compressor includes battery clamps. Just make sure you know how to get to the battery on your BMW. On some models, access to the battery is impossible without the correct tools.

Okay... I did some reading...

The slime compressor specifies a 10 amp requirement, but actually draws a hair under 5 amps.

The BMW factory accessory socket is specified for a maximum 5 amp draw.

So while it *should* work in the factory socket, using the slime compressor that way is not officially supported. To be honest, I wouldn't take the chance of being stuck on the side of the road that way.

The good news is that the slime compressor includes battery clamps. Just make sure you know how to get to the battery on your BMW. On some models, access to the battery is impossible without the correct tools.

awwwww bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( but yeah, shouldnt be a problem. Access to the batter on the ST requires me to unscrew the center tank panel. Was hoping i had the convenience of just plug and play... but not a problem. removal of that panel is a nobrainer.

awwwww bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( but yeah, shouldnt be a problem. Access to the batter on the ST requires me to unscrew the center tank panel. Was hoping i had the convenience of just plug and play... but not a problem. removal of that panel is a nobrainer.

It might be plug and play. I'd try it out before hand. Worst case scenario, you blow your accessory fuse or trip a breaker.

Make sure you bring a torx set, just in case. The OEM kit on my GT won't even open up the battery cover.

It might be plug and play. I'd try it out before hand. Worst case scenario, you blow your accessory fuse or trip a breaker.

Make sure you bring a torx set, just in case. The OEM kit on my GT won't even open up the battery cover.

isn't that awesome? the standrard bmw toolkit is a handle and a double bladed screwdriver torx. :rolleyes

i'm reading only a 5amp power limit on the accessory outlet as well ;( i cant find a source for it on the net and havent checked the manual yet but that's what people are all saying :(

Found more info...

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=524159&page=2

pjripple, some of the older 1200RT’s & the R’s (not sure on the GS or ST) only have 5 amp circuits on the factory outlets.. The later RT’s seem to be in the 10 amp neighborhood (my 09 RT is 10 amps).. That is probably to protect the outlet sockets as those are the small connector small terminal sockets rated at only 10 amps.. They will take slightly higher than 10 amps but due to the small wire terminals they are only rated at carrying 10 amps max..

The outlets on the 1200 RT (all years) are controlled by a “crowbar” type overload protection circuit breaker in the ZFE module (basically a body module) & has nothing to do with the CanBus system.. It is just a basic power circuit with a (high tec) circuit breaker to protect it..
The circuit breaker protection in the ZFE module is auto re-setting at key down but can take a short while to re-set so sometimes a quick shut-off & re-start will not fully re-set the ZFE “crowbar” circuit..

The protection circuit is both voltage & amperage sensitive.. Mainly high amperage is the cause of the circuit shut down but as the voltage lowers the amps go up so what might be right on the edge of tripping the circuit protection riding down the road can easily trip the circuit protection at engine idle with brake lights & rear brake circuit pump running..

Type of heated clothing controller can also have an effect on the ZFE outlet circuit tripping.. The later pulse width type heat controllers pulse FULL power to the heated clothing but only do it for part of the time on lower settings so the ZFE still sees almost full amp draw for each pulse on the controller.. If two people are using heated clothing & both end up pulsing full power at the same time it usually ends up with an outlet shutdown..

You can add separate pigtails coming directly from the battery for each rider/passenger as that will allow full heated clothing usage without going through the ZFE circuit breaker (this is the quick,, simple ,, & easy way) OR, you can be more creative & wire the factory outlets directly to the battery through a fused harness.. Some do this with the factory outlets & get away with it but keep in mind the factory outlets are only really rated for 10 amps max so technically you only get about 120 watts per outlet at 12 volts (idle with brakes & other accessories on).. That should handle your situation but might not if using an air pump or more heated clothing on each outlet..

In your case you can probably just re-wire the REAR outlet to be battery direct (with an inline fuse of course) as that will ONLY place the riders heated clothing load on the front ZFE controlled circuit & place the passengers heated clothing load directly on the battery (not through the ZFE protection circuit) --that would be around 7.5 amps on each circuit & well under the outlet rating & well below the ZFE “crowbar” trip point..

Keep in mind that adding full time battery power to a factory outlet can allow the inside of the outlet to become corroded & oxidized if water ends up in the sockets & the water has anything like salt or other minerals in it (anything that conducts & oxidizes).. On my personal 09 RT I have both front & rear factory sockets wired to full fused battery power & using the older large terminal 20 amp outlets & they will turn green inside if I don’t blow the insides out with compressed air after each bike washing (probably because of my water softener)..

Again, I'd try using the accessory outlet first, but I'd bring the tools to get at the battery just in case (and anyway, I've needed more jumps than plugs in my lifetime.)

For what it's worth... I'd consider SoCal a local ride and plan according. IMO, it doesn't really become a long distance ride until it involves camping or hotel rooms.

Found more info...

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=524159&page=2

Again, I'd try using the accessory outlet first, but I'd bring the tools to get at the battery just in case (and anyway, I've needed more jumps than plugs in my lifetime.)

For what it's worth... I'd consider SoCal a local ride and plan according. IMO, it doesn't really become a long distance ride until it involves camping or hotel rooms.

thanks B!

yeah i dont consider SoCal a major threat to being stranded, but this information is really useful for future trips :) yay forums!

Don't put too much thought into it....just go. Don't make any changes to the bike a month before, take your visa, go riding.

In...er....50k plus touring miles accross the west I have yet to get a flat, nor have any of the other 6+ people that have gone. We've bought plenty of batteries and tires on the trips, but that was in the early days...

Get some luggage, bring cameras/chargers/phones/video cameras....etc...and just go!

The main thing you need is a better fricking route down!!!!

Take 25 to back roads to 33 to the canyon roads that drop you down on Malibu and then whatever from there.

Oil, bulbs, and jumper cables? WTF? :D Just messing with you but that's craziness.

Ride safe.

The main thing you need is a better fricking route down!!!!

Take 25 to back roads to 33 to the canyon roads that drop you down on Malibu and then whatever from there.

Oil, bulbs, and jumper cables? WTF? :D Just messing with you but that's craziness.

Ride safe.

a detour in vegas and then up to tracy? :)

WootZ

I just did my tripsies. Went 101 all the way down and it was a blast. took 10 hours because i kept stopping everywhere to take a gander :/ Scariest thing by far is strong gusty winds cuz i cant seem em coming :(

On my way home, i was in a hurry, and took the i5 back up. Thought i would get bored, but surprisingly, it was a really nice ride. I've never ridden the 5, only driven, and am amazed at how the scenery is just so different when you take away the car around you.

I loved it... and loved the fact that i had to stop every 100 miles just to clean my faceshield of bugs :D

overall, loved the trip! thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've had zero problems going up and down... and surprisingly, a single softTopcase was all i really need for storing all my clothes for a 4 day trip? :)

f800st.jpg

:thumbup

...and surprisingly, a single softTopcase was all i really need for storing all my clothes for a 4 day trip? :)

It depends on what you think you might need... In warmer weather, I can comfortably survive 4 days out of a 16-litre tailbag (including undies, socks, shorts, t-shirts, flipflops, a hygiene kit, a SLR camera, a patch kit, CO2 canisters, zipties, basic tools, lube and rags). I always stay in a motel anyway -- can do some handwashing each night if needed.

Join us for Hawthorne.

I carry less and less the more I ride.. Sleeping bag.. tent.. rubber bitch(iso mat) in a dry bag.. tire fixins.. lots of sox and some undies..food.. I carry food and water.. and enough sox to change twice a day.. clean sox FTW!!

jumper cables? (i'm giggling, that's funny) the BMW took kits are pretty complete so you probably won't need any tools.

Oh.. do not depend on electronic gizmo's for navigation. Stay oriented in case it breaks.. no other stress like the stress of being lost with no bearings cause the fucking gps broke down. This has happened to me twice.. I use a roll chart and maps now.

yeah i usually map the route out and have a hardcopy just in case, along with that, a gps, and an iphone, both with respective charging cables.

all my tools/firstaid/co2&tireRepair/tape/twist-ties underthe seat :D also have a small aircompressor stored in the pannier. Clothes slippers hygiene etc in the soft topcase, my tankbag holds things like camera, soda/redbull/food/ and charging cables.

the only thing i probably would not be for a DIY get out of strandedville is a completely dead battery... but then i probably worry too much about that.

btw: the standard tool kit that comes with most beamers today (or in the least mine) was a handle and a double sided phillips/starshaped (Torx) screwdriver for the handle. :(

had to go out and make my own for the trip.

Back