• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Ratchet helmet strap? (vs D ring)

norcalkid

Moto(s)
DL650
CRF250 Rally
Yamaha Aerox 155
Africa Twin
Have any of you tried a helmet with a ratcheting strap? I was kinda thinking of trying a LS2 but no D rings is a big hang-up for me. Have any of you tried non D ring helmets? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I've had a Schuberth for sometime and prefer ratchet strap. You can still manage ratched with gloves on ;)

I'm completely content with my ratchet strap in my Shoei. I think it works great.

It's more "complicated" than a D ring, and even, potentially, less secure. But I think that even if a D ring combination is stronger than a ratchet strap, I think they're both strong enough that my head would fail before either of them did. That said, I wouldn't recommend riding around with a single click of the ratchet.

I've had a Schuberth for sometime and prefer ratchet strap. You can still manage ratched with gloves on ;)
Same. The ratcheting straps are definitely more convenient and I feel they are just as safe. And they are super easy to remove, just grab the little tab and give it a pull...

I'd been wearing the Schuberth for a few years now. I just got a new HJC and it took me a while to readjust to the D-rings. And sometimes its hard to find that little snap that holds the end of the strap from flapping...

I think either are acceptably strong but have no doubt d-rings are stronger.

Two identical helmets:, Except, one with Ratchet system the other with DD rings.
I’ll choose the ratchet.

I'm a ratchet kinda guy.

I still prefer the D rings. They confirm better and feel less bulky to me. My brother loves his helmet with the ratchet.

LS2 with a ratchet strap. Works well, but miss the D rings for locking helmet to bike.

Once I went with the Shoei ratchet,... it'll be hard for me to go back to D rings.
However, I do miss being able to hook my helmet by the d rings,... but not enough to go back to it.

I have a Shoei and a Schuberth, both with ratchet straps, as well as older helmets with D-rings.

You couldn't pay me to buy a D-ring helmet now - ratchet straps work great, are simpler with gloves on, and tend to catch less and/or have less of a flappy end smacking you in the face from the breeze.

As to whether they're as safe as D-rings, I mean... Shoei and Schuberth? If they're happy with them, I'm happy with them - they're not going to use 'untrusted' technology.

It's had to imagine an incident that challenges the integrity of the securing device without first compromising the integrity of the body its attached to. Ratchet clasp is a rare improvement in a world were "new and improved" is usually just different.

I have a ratchet strap on my Caberg Tourmax european helmet and I love it. I have no more D rings on any of my helmets. I modify them with a buckle but I rather have a ratchet strap.

Anyone convert a D ring helmet to one with a ratchet system?
A quick search shows it can be done but does it work well in real life?
Any recommendations on the “best” kit?

Are there any statistics on this, safety and/or failure stats, other than "what I prefer."?

Back