• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Ratchet helmet strap? (vs D ring)

Operating the helmet D ring is very, very, very low on the list of physical and mental tasks in motorcycling. If another helmet strap retention system works for you, great. I spend more time each day thinking about the Roman Empire than how my helmet strap is fastened.
I didn’t realize you were a student of the Roman Empire! :laughing

thanks everybody, I'm guna hold off buying. Cycle Gear (SEDECI) has a new modular fiberglass ADV helmet coming out this week (my store isn't even getting them till next week). Looks a lot like a AT950 but supposed to be lighter, but the weight isn't listed so ????

Anyone who ever used a scissor jack knows those F9 results are far from accurate
The torque values aren’t very meaningful but where the failure occurs is. It’s no surprise at a that the only case where the strap is the weak link is the D ring. I’m certain that would be repeatable.

For me this is a bit like a Coke vs Pepsi argument, I think both are about as safe as the other, personal preference is the deciding factor.

Having said that, I bought a Schuberth and just could not get used to it, it was too uncomfortable. I'll stick with the D ring.

Well I made a decision, Ordered a LS2 Citation II today. It's got a ratchet strap???? Haven't seen one in person but the LS2's I tried on fit me well. 1390g with a flip down visor (probably not the XL weight?), 6 fiberglass shell sizes and looks like it has good vents, 22-06, etc Guna give it a try.

Impressed they got the weight down while still including a sun visor. Looks like the euro version is also offered in carbon...

Brilliant. The lack of a ring is my only complaint with the ratchet strap.

Impressed they got the weight down while still including a sun visor. Looks like the euro version is also offered in carbon...

I returned it. I really liked the helmet but the strap pulled the ratchet into my neck. The ratchet wasn't bad but the strap was located farther back than "normal" so it kinda pulled against my neck. Trued on some Shoei's today with a ratchet, none of them pulled at my neck like this.

Honestly, helmet shopping sucks. Thought it would be cool getting a new helmet, I F-ing hate it.

As with everything, do as you see fit. No ratchet for me until there are integrity standards and third-party testing.

Back