Ratchet helmet strap? (vs D ring)

I need to pull the helmet open with both straps to put it on my head, then pull out each side to unfold my ears with my finger so I gotta have the D rings undone for sure.

I love the D. Wait, that came out wrong.
I had an Airoh with a ratchet and really liked it. Current helmets are all D-ring, though. I have plenty of faith in either and really like the convenience of the ratchet. As someone else already said: two identical helmets, one with D-ring one with ratchet: I will choose the ratchet.

The D ring isn’t something I ever thought needed improving. On a slow day it still takes less than 10 seconds to fasten, I can live with that.
It’s like another thread from a few weeks ago where folks wanted a better solution to earplugs. Until aliens drop some new tech Im gonna assume humans got this one right the first time with foam earplugs and helmet D rings.

I am not familiar with the testing or certifications of such helmet locking devices over the last decade.

I am familiar with a BARF member who lost his life in an accident on Hwy 25 south of town on a group ride. A pickup truck backed onto H25 from a side/dirt driveway into a field and the rider collided with the back of the truck. Relative to this thread- he had a quick locking gizmo for a chin strap and I found his helmet 100' from the crash site "unlocked".

Godspeed fifthrival/Martin

Last edited:
To be completely honest, I didn't know ratchet helmet straps were a thing. I've never seen one in person and while helmet shopping, I've never seen one either.

D-ring may be old tech but to me seems like ratchet straps are fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Or engineers/designers doing stuff just for the sake of doing stuff. shrug

i’ve gone ratchet, I’ll not looking back.

But With this scenario: If I was unexpectedly about to fall out the door of an airplane and … there is a helmet strap I could grab to save myself, I would … think its better to be double D ring type.!

All the best.

Surprised no one has invoked Fortnine yet. He basically puts all the systems to the test to see how much force is needed for a connection to fail.

Even D-ring helmets can pop off if you don't bother to use them correctly and tighten them properly. Ratchet and D-ring systems are both non-immune to operator error.

Well in that case, surprised my reading comprehension hasn't improved after all these years... :facepalm

Operating the helmet D ring is very, very, very low on the list of physical and mental tasks in motorcycling. If another helmet strap retention system works for you, great. I spend more time each day thinking about the Roman Empire than how my helmet strap is fastened.

This thread seems like some kind of a test to find the least important topic people will argue about.

Back