• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The 1Rider Video Collection

Lanes splitting PSA from the CHP

This was taken down when the guidelines were taken down, but I hope to see more of this stuff in the Spring time when the Media blitz before Motorcycle Safety month engages.

Last edited:
Motorcycle Riding 101: Earning the M1 License!

This is about the MSF course, but still pretty applicable.
If you are thinking about riding.. think hard about taking a course.

"On this episode of Wide Open Throttle, Jessi Lang learns the intricacies of the laws of physics in her first motorcycle training course. Find out how she fares on two wheels and see if she earns her M1 license!"

And if you are riding already and ready to learn more.. take a Intermediate or advanced class.

Last edited:
Here are some general tips.

At first I thought what is this about due to the dudes helmet, but after watching the video it did cover some good stuff and is worth watching.

Last edited:
Here are some general tips.

At first I thought what is this about due to the dudes helmet, but after watching the video it did cover some good stuff and is worth watching.

1:45: "One thing I always try to do--I've even heard cops say this too--is try to go at least 5 miles an hour faster than the flow of traffic."

Has any cop, anywhere, ever said that??? Probably not. As a general rule, it's terrible advice.

Obviously, "at least" doesn't belong there. Even omitting that, it still isn't a good rule. Sometimes +5mph is a good idea so you don't linger in a blind spot. But if, going with the flow of traffic, you can position yourself away from traffic in adjacent lanes, why speed up? Doing so will momentarily put you IN THE BLIND SPOT of every car you overtake.

Good call Dan.

Vid was not perfect but a lot of it applies.

I take 90% on an info share if it does not put someone at risk.
Actually maybe 5% in this case. What do you think about the rest of his tips?

What do you think about the rest of his tips?
:thumbup Balls of feet on footpegs, not arch.

:nchantr Two fingers on clutch, one finger on brake. Depends on your hand and your bike. Always use what you would need for maximum braking, because you don't want to reposition your hand if a low-decel situation suddenly turns into an oh-shit situation.

:thumbup Cover brakes in traffic. Harry Hurt recommended this 40 years ago, and it's still good advice.

:thumbdown At least 5mph faster than the flow.

:thumbup High beams. Daytime only in traffic, of course.

:thumbup Watch for gaps when splitting. The lane-change cut-off is the most common kind of lane-splitting crash.

:thumbup Courtesy wave for drivers who make room when you're splitting.

:thumbup Lane position to maximize view to traffic ahead. He emphasizes ability to see debris in the road, but a more important consideration is to be able to anticipate traffic events.

:thumbup Check for red-light runners before entering intersection on fresh green.

:nchantr Always wear earplugs. Meh.

:thumbup Carry a tire plug kit.

:nchantr Watch for critters. Not high priority when commuting in Irvine during rush hour.

:thumbup Lateral space cushion from adjacent lane. In the video, he raises this when he's in the #2 lane of 2, and the #1 is occupied. There have been arguments on BARF about this, though the context is usually mirror image--rider in #1. Enchanter and I (and others) have taken this position while some have argued for a position tight alongside the occupied lane, better to be seen in drivers' mirrors.

:thumbup Use both brakes in traffic.

:thumbup Be careful on painted lines.

:thumbup Get braking done BEFORE turning at an intersection.

Good post Dan. Solid commentary.

I will do two fingers on the brake myself. Often do that in the hills too where you can find critters.

Still.... that helmet. :laughing

Riding at night

Last edited:
Excellent lane-splitting video

I've cross-posted this from the lane-splitting thread for additional exposure:

This is one of the best lane-splitting how-to videos I've seen. It demonstrates lots of good practices.

The narrator/rider, a moto-journalist at Ultimate Motorcycling, has a great attitude about splitting that contributes to a safer, lower stress commute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not seen that before.

Superior commentary. She gets it. :thumbup

Overall it is a good vid, but...

The helmet camera is not ideal for long videos, it can induce a bit of motion sickness in viewers.

She maintains her initial splitting position when in the gaps between traffic. Arguably the riskiest place during the split. I suggest that moving into the empty lane gives a bigger space cushion. Sometimes 1-2ft can be a lifesaving distance.

She maintains her initial splitting position when in the gaps between traffic. Arguably the riskiest place during the split. I suggest that moving into the empty lane gives a bigger space cushion. Sometimes 1-2ft can be a lifesaving distance.
I objected to that, too. She even makes a point of it at 1:40, "...try to ride as straight of a line down the channel as you can...in other words, don't weave..." But she then goes on to recommend caution when there's "an empty space like this to the right" as she enters the area of a gap in the #2. As you say, a few feet of space makes it easier to avoid a cutoff in that situation.

Last edited:
Here is a little safety piece from Randy Mamola.

Nothing we don't really know already.. and least most of us, but still cool.

Last edited:
Figured I would throw this in here too. Zak and I chatting riding after the pandemic and changes to the CMSP program.

107.7 The Bone

Not sure why my audio sounds weird... it is fine on regular zoom calls. :dunno

Last edited:
Well, it’s certainly impactful. I’m not sure how helpful it is though, tbh. I mean - I felt a gut punch as I watched it. Hard to debrief that after the guy is splattered all over the pavement. I wonder if it could be just as effective, or even more so, if he had narrowly made it through and lived. Wouldn’t change anything re what was done wrong and would’ve spared me the emotional jolt. I don’t need that first thing in the morning - or really ever.

It is a shock... To me it is just meant to make you think in the moment.
Make sure you are good to go. Guess I should have put a warning in.
I saw it yesterday morning and sure the hell got me going faster than a cup of coffee.

Excellent Videos on ABS vs. human threshold braking.

Last edited:
I found a hickup on the # of yougubes that can be posted with the Xenlife so adding some of those here so they will not be lost.
Avoiding collisions

Motorcycle Safety month general info

U Turns and the test - How to make it through

Bike inspection tips

How to stop safely in a turn.

Last edited:
Back