• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Bikeriders

Seemed like a silly gripe, and I only referenced your post because I used the same famous photo you did. (Didn't want to "step on your toes". šŸ˜‰)

ā€œas historical as it is starkā€ ā€¦ :thumbup

I fear the depiction in the movie of Mr Lyon will be the biggest disappointment to me, as heā€™s a personal hero of mine. hopefully Iā€™ll be pleasantly surprised. :angel

It's coming out June 21st.

Last edited:
saw the free preview of ā€œThe Bikeridersā€ last night with a gaggle of motorcycle people here in SF and enjoyed the scene and the movie.

the folks I was with gave it good reviews, and my fears about the Mr Lyon character being disappointing were unfounded.

will be interested to hear what others think of it. :angel

well, I enjoyed itā€”and would not have felt bad if Iā€™d had to pay to see it. as was pointed out in the OP, itā€™s a dynamite cast.

of course, I thought SOA was high artā€”so perhaps Iā€™m not the best judge. :facepalm:laughing

I saw it yesterday. I could be wrong but I think Jonny's bike was an Indian. I liked the movie, it was solid but I can see how some wouldn't care for it. I feel Tom Hardy was doing his best Marlin Brando impression, he sort of copied his voice. Over all I liked but nothing too special.

well, I enjoyed itā€”and would not have felt bad if Iā€™d had to pay to see it. as was pointed out in the OP, itā€™s a dynamite cast.

of course, I thought SOA was high artā€”so perhaps Iā€™m not the best judge. :facepalm:laughing
SOA was high art!!! Well I became a biker fan boy at a very young age when clubs were really on the roads of the BA often and I was fascinated by those guys (and chicks).

So if you liked it I am sure I will. :thumbup

I really liked it. Good movie.

One of the things it made me think on was the women I dated that tried to make an ultimatum... it was either her or riding and those ladies ended being single again because asking me to stop riding is a non-starter argument.

hereā€™s a pic of Mr Hardyā€™s prop bike from the movieā€”the description I found on-line was that itā€™s a ā€œbobbed 1956 Harley-Davidson FLHā€:

F6305490-C516-429A-A0BA-1E273621AF59.jpeg

the paint job on the prop-bike tank certainly looks like some modern Indian motorcycles that Iā€™ve seen.

the NYT.com gave it a pretty good review on 06/20/24 (itā€™s a ā€œNYT Criticā€™s Pickā€)ā€”I thought the title of the review was amusing:
ā€œā€˜The Bikeridersā€™ Review: On the Road to Nowhere, Beautifullyā€

thatā€™s certainly the road Iā€™ve been searching for, all my motorcycle life. :laughing

hereā€™s a link to Mr Lyonā€™s website with a bunch of his famous motorcycle photos, and some of the audio recordings he made in the early 1960s of the actual people the characters in the movie were based on (read in the NYTs that 70% of the movie dialogue was taken from these audio recordings):
Bleak Beauty Blog

or to use Mr @Johndicezx9ā€™s appropriate synonym, ā€œstarkā€ ā€¦ :ride

Last edited:
Smithsonian article those who liked the movie might be interested in.

I'll wait till it's on cable and "might" watch as it does sound awfully cliche.

The Real Story Behind ā€˜The Bikeridersā€™ and the Danny Lyon Photography Book That Inspired It​

One of the things it made me think on was the women I dated that tried to make an ultimatum... it was either her or riding and those ladies ended being single again because asking me to stop riding is a non-starter argument.
Ryan Reynolds kicked his "Starter Wife" to the curb because she gave him that same ultimatum...

The "Starter Wife"? Scarlett Johansson....

A friend who recently saw it described it as hot topic hells angels cosplay, but she also doesn't ride sooooo. I'll probably still check it out, I did watch all of SoA and Mayans, so I guess there's no accounting for taste.

ultimatums are funny things. more malleable than we might think. but the point is well taken. differences are common. if they are more important than how two people feel about each at their core, then it likely wouldnā€™t be the one and only ultimatum challenging their relationship. misery averted. along with more than a few ā€˜go fuck yourselfā€™sā€™.

Back