• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

just finished "Bad Monkey" which I read in a couple sittings...

Currently finishing this... I find it fascinating.

"Mastery" by Robert Green

"What did Charles Darwin, middling schoolboy and underachieving second son, do to become one of the earliest and greatest naturalists the world has known? What were the similar choices made by Mozart and by Caesar Rodriguez, the U.S. Air Force’s last ace fighter pilot? In Mastery, Robert Greene’s fifth book, he mines the biographies of great historical figures for clues about gaining control over our own lives and destinies. Picking up where The 48 Laws of Power left off, Greene culls years of research and original interviews to blend historical anecdote and psychological insight, distilling the universal ingredients of the world’s masters."

Downloaded the series of these. Gonna start tonight. Pm if you got a tablet that reads epub files and I can email you the link. Three books 1800 total pages.

Divergent.jpg

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
Categories: Non-fiction, history, adventure/exploration, bibliography
Published December 15, 2009
Author: Candice Millard

I purchased this book over Valentine's weekend when out on our date night my wife and I found ourselves yet again at a bookstore. I finally started reading this shortly before I left for my business trip last week, and I had it finished within a few days. Entirely too soon in terms of trip, and leaving me wanting more from the same writer (thankfully I was satisfied there upon my return to the states).

Candice Millard is a former writer and editor for the National Geographic magazine, and combines detailed research with the type of story telling that has you immersed while actually learning some really interesting history along the way. Not only does she provide excellent, detailed context for the main narrative, but she manages to pull us into the key relationships that will decide the fate of this epic adventure when the fecal matter starts to hit the oscillator.

Things start out grandiose in Brazil, with much pomp and circumstance, as Roosevelt is warmly received (in most places) and goes on a small speaking tour in Brazil before commencing on a voyage into the Amazon. The Bull Moose had always been an avid naturalist and hunter, and looking for a new challenge (following his failed bid for an unprecedented third term in the White House) he agrees to lead an expedition of naturalists, sponsored by the Smithsonian museum, down a known tributary of the Amazon in search and collection of new and rare specimens for the museum.

The best laid plans of mice and men however, in conjunction with a last minute change in itinerary, turn what should have been a mildly risky naturalists' gathering expedition into a descent down an un-mapped tributary so rife with incessant peril that it soon becomes clear that successfully navigating this unknown river has become a one way journey in which hangs the balance of life and death. Gripping stuff, I couldn't put it down, and highly recommend it. Very manly reading.

A+

I've picked up and started reading her only other published book: Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President. This one is about President Garfield, and only shortly into the book Millard has vividly set the stage describing Garfield's stroll through the Centennial Fair, where the anthems of all 49 nations in attendance were played (except that of the US, which wouldn't have one for another 50 years), and where young Alexander Graham Bell makes an appearance.

In a few short paragraphs she also describes enough of Chicago, the wooden buildings, wooden sidewalks, wooden-planked streets, the 100 days of drought, and late autumn setting that saw much of city stocked and ready for the winter with plenty of additional wood, hay, and kerosene, to leave little to the imagination of what kind of inferno consumed the city shortly after a small barn fire started on the west side. It had been less than 10 years since Custer and his men had been butchered, and less than that since President Andrew Jackson signed the bill forcing all Native Americans onto reservations. It was particularly striking to realize his bust still adorns the $20 dollar bill to this day, while the plight of many Native Americans continues to worsen.

Not too far into this book yet, but thoroughly enjoying another very entertaining glimpse at a piece of history.

Modern Bushido

Just finished reading this book about some history of the Samurai and Bushido. There's a lot of philosophy written by a modern day Samurai that has lineage that go back. Im fascinated with their culture. If you are too highly recommend it.

image.jpg

My next book I might be reading Delta Force written by a Colonel. My friend emailed me the link awhile back.

Last edited:
Just finished reading this book about some history of the Samurai and Bushido. There's a lot of philosophy written by a modern day Samurai that has lineage that go back. Im fascinated with their culture. If you are too highly recommend it.

image.jpg

My next book I might be reading Delta Force written by a Colonel. My friend emailed me the link awhile back.

interesting… i'll give this a glance after I finish shogun

Im currently finishing up Men In Green Faces by Gene Wentz. A great book detailing Special Operations conducted by Navy Seals in the deltas of Vietnam. Its clear that the author is a U.S. Navy seal and not a lifelong author, but its still a damn good read.

I recently finished The Lone Survivor by Marcus Latrell and holy shit this book blew me out of the water. Great book by the man who survived a hellish attack in the mountain ranges of Afghanistan. The movie is shit on a stick compared to the book.

Im currently finishing up Men In Green Faces by Gene Wentz. A great book detailing Special Operations conducted by Navy Seals in the deltas of Vietnam. Its clear that the author is a U.S. Navy seal and not a lifelong author, but its still a damn good read.

I recently finished The Lone Survivor by Marcus Latrell and holy shit this book blew me out of the water. Great book by the man who survived a hellish attack in the mountain ranges of Afghanistan. The movie is shit on a stick compared to the book.

I agree with you on Lone Survivor. Loved the book. The movie, the ending sucked not like how it is in the book.

Hmm I'll look into Men In Green Faces. I heard about this one I think.

Dude right!?! With such an amazing story, who the hell would change it. Also they needed to go into detail about what the soldiers were really thinking when they first stumbled across the sheep farmers. Thats the main staple of the whole fucking story imo. If they didn't have to worry about the bullshit liberal media of america, things would have been a whole lot different on that mountain. Really pisses me off.

Men is green faces is great man. Started reading after I read that they guy who fired on bin laden, decided he wanted to be in the military because of this book.

any interesting non-fiction reads that i should look into?

I just finished reading "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Cmdr. Chris Hadfield. It was like a field guide on how to be a more effective human being in every situation. Highly recommended.

Decided to read these a 2nd time. I know their not novels but really good informative reading.

Just finished "The Circle" by Dave Eggers.

Whoa. Predictable I suppose. The ending is great.

Took the graphic novel V for vendetta on my trip with me.

Man it's just so good. So good. The movie really changed aspects that made the GN what it was. Movie was fun and all, but man the novel is so much smarter and more philosophical. Just a great read.

I've read snow crash a couple of times now. I'm actually listening to it right now on my commute. It's just that good.

I've read snow crash a couple of times now. I'm actually listening to it right now on my commute. It's just that good.

If you like it that much, you should read some of his other books. Stephenson is probably my favorite author, but Snow Crash is my least favorite of his books.

I just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Absolutely incredible. Hilarious, technical, nerdy, and gripping. Loved every page.

Last edited:
Back