• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

Reactions: bcj
Last book, Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks.
Andrea Lankford.
About rescue stories, from stupid thinking humans without awareness.
Long hours, low pay, little emotional support, hard core rescues, death.
Everything I didn't think about when I was "waffle stomping" Yosemite backcountry, solo.

Side note, way too many deaths this year in our National Parks, I haven't looked for a total, but that number isn't something they want to share. The heat has been a bigger factor, hard to work around.

Now, I'm back into Shogun, can't get enough, , ,

for park ranger stuff I recommend:

1) Book by Carl S. Chavez about his career with the Calif. State Parks - in particular, his first small book about his first assignment - wintering over in Bode with his new and pregnant wife. Carl went on to be Supt. of Parks.

A Year in Bodie: A Park Ranger's Diary

2) Biography of John H. Riffey - the last true all-round ranger - who work and was buried at Tuweep (Troweap) North Rim Grand Canyon. Its an excellent read - I read most of it on site while waiting for a flatbed tow out after our Jeep broke a tranny fluid line.

John H. Riffey The Last Old-Time Ranger

Back