• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The BOOK Thread

I’ve enjoyed the Prey series and especially the Virgil Flowers spin offs. Virgil was an occasional character who eschewed guns, wore alternative band T-shirts and fished. I’m on hold for his next book with his adopted daughter as the main character.

Just recently bounce in here, some interesting stuff that's being shared. Thx

Currently re-reading this book I picked up about 10 years ago for $5.00
It's a 1906 edition of The Call of The Wild.

Attachments

• The Call of The Wild.jpg
    The Call of The Wild.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 22
picked up a hardcover The Hobbit with 1st edition cover at Blackwell books in Oxford. They had a nice collection of Tolkein books there.

some of you bookish people may be interested to see the actual door that inspired Lewis's Lion, Witch a nd Wardrobe and Chronicles of Narnia. It's also in Oxford, where he and Tolkein were friends and fellow professors:

I remember Blackwells. The wardrobe door story sounds familiar, but that door doesn't ring a bell.

There's a His Dark Materials themed Oxford tour for people into those books. The author, Pullman, like Tolkien went to Exeter, though I don't recall which college was supposed to be the inspiration for the Jordan College in the books.

After bouncing off it maybe a dozen times, I'm finally getting through William Gibson's "The Peripheral". I reckon this is a much heavier read now than was when it first came out. The plausibility of it feels a lot more real now.

I read the chapter where "The jackpot" was described this morning and just needed to sit in my backyard alone for a few minutes to take it all in.

Just recently bounce in here, some interesting stuff that's being shared. Thx

Currently re-reading this book I picked up about 10 years ago for $5.00
It's a 1906 edition of The Call of The Wild.

Thatis pretty cool. I checked out a first edition of Annapurna (1950) from the SJ library. It was beautiful. I was tempted to “lose” it.

But no. Got one on Bezosland. Very, very cool book.

I remember Blackwells. The wardrobe door story sounds familiar, but that door doesn't ring a bell.

There's a His Dark Materials themed Oxford tour for people into those books. The author, Pullman, like Tolkien went to Exeter, though I don't recall which college was supposed to be the inspiration for the Jordan College in the books.

haha...clever!

That door is located on St Mary's Passage, very close to Radcliffe Camera. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.752...Yxljgxr2DnevZ_JmHx5Mm!2e10!3e11!7i5760!8i2880

I was thinking of doing the Inklings tour, but after finding out out the Eagle and Child pub was permanently closed, I lost interest. A shame, but Oxford had plenty of other old pubs around that satisfied.

Hey Butch,
I'll have to see if Annapurna is at the local library.
This one might be of interest.

Attachments

• The Totem Pole.jpg
    The Totem Pole.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 26
That door is located on St Mary's Passage, very close to Radcliffe Camera. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.752...Yxljgxr2DnevZ_JmHx5Mm!2e10!3e11!7i5760!8i2880
Our daughter probably pointed it out to us on one of our visits. I'll ask. It's been a few years.

In order we were probably fans of His Dark Materials (though not Pullman's other fiction), Tolkien, & Lewis.

I've read that Pullman's His Dark Materials was written as a refutation of Lewis' Narnia, and Narnia with its young women are bad message was well deserving of a response.

Just picked up We by Yevgeny Zamyatin to give a read.

this seems like a good place for this...

Poetry writing on the walls of Angel Island during the internment of Chinese (and Japanese). it's...sad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...17145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=029599407X

getting the tour of Angel Island is really interesting because we never get taught this place was the way it was.

DeYoung museum is having a reading from a few ancestors of Angel Island immigrants/interns in January.

https://www.famsf.org/events/national-angel-island-day-last-hoisan-poets-del-sol-quartet

good to remember it wasn't just the European Jews that were being held up from immigrating here.

The idea of "total war" was displayed in depth in the Musee de Caen in Normandy, Fr. Although the US had a role in stopping atrocity, we also had our role in creating a bit of it.

Last edited:
I just read "The Kaiju Preservation Society" by John Scalzi. Really entertaining with lots of references to current events.

Quick read, big fun. He wrote "Red Shirts" too, if you understand the Star Trek reference.

"Unfinished Tales" by (JRR) Tolkein.

Nice bit of extra insight into the history of Tolkein's world. I liked how all versions are covered if there are differences. Listening to these companion books is much easier for me than reading them, which can become tedious and uninspiring. Lots of dry details. But as a whole, I get a better color into the world I love to revisit.

"Universe in a single atom" by HH Dalai Lama

Super interesting learning about Buddhist scholars that utilize the scientific method as one of their ways to understand nature. His assertion that science is often Reductionist is a good point, as well as its lack of necessity to employ morals and ethics.

Just started “Ghost Wave”… Cortes Banks.
This is cool

If this thread is for sharing books that you have read, then I highly recommend reading The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. I consider it to be, perhaps, the most beautiful book ever written. It’s full of great wisdom on all subjects from children to work and from marriage and death. Give it a read. It’s a small book. I’ve found that it can be used as a reference for living a good and proper life. And the prose is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:
Follow a British sharpshooter in the Napoleonic wars, with a new fangled rifled weapon against smoothbores, in the 'Sharpe's Rifles' series. By Bernard Cornwell.

Checks all the romanticist boxes motorcyclists seem to have with books and movies.

Back