• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

When should we stop riding? -- perspectives of an older rider

Alex and Budman, I'm in for lunch and beers! You guys have great stories.

I've obsessed motos for many years, and I am actually glad to see them leaving my garage, though it's a bit hard. I can always buy another one. The 750 is gone and the 1000 is going in a week or so. The Sv after that. I have enough room in my garage now that I put in that weight bench/preacher curl/leg lift machine I've been wanting.

Alex, I remember how your back was a problem for quite a bit. I'm not looking forward to the experience. Unfortunately the progressive deterioration has reached the point that I have no choice.

Now I am thinking about car track days, dammit.

Alex and Budman, I'm in for lunch and beers! You guys have great stories.

I've obsessed motos for many years, and I am actually glad to see them leaving my garage, though it's a bit hard. I can always buy another one. The 750 is gone and the 1000 is going in a week or so. The Sv after that. I have enough room in my garage now that I put in that weight bench/preacher curl/leg lift machine I've been wanting.

Alex, I remember how your back was a problem for quite a bit. I'm not looking forward to the experience. Unfortunately the progressive deterioration has reached the point that I have no choice.

If you guys do this in the south bay I'd love to join...

Lunch would pretty much have to be on a weekend.. a well planned Friday would work.

I think Alex is still in the So Bay... maybe meet in the middle somewhere. I will get with Alex and you via PM. Butch too.. in case he can make that work.

:Port

I think Alex is still in the So Bay... maybe meet in the middle somewhere. I will get with Alex and you via PM. Butch too.. in case he can make that work.

:Port

I'm retired, we can meet in Maui!

Ya ever done one? Seems like it'd be the bomb, especially after doing it on two wheels, but I'll tell ya what: after doing track days for a couple of years in a car I gave it up and ended up going road racing because I actually felt safer. :wow

People thought it was crazy that I felt about it that way, but that's the truth. Something about being strapped into 3000 lbs of metal hurtling along at 100+ and then having an off-track excursion scared the bejeezus out of me. You're just along for the ride at that point. At least on the bikes when we crash we get to slide on our butts across the infield. The car guys are the crazy ones, if you ask me.

So sorry to hear about this, Ernie. Then again, leaving it on a high note like you did has gotta feel very good! As for what's next, how about a little woods bike like someone else suggested? ...yeah, that's the ticket!

(I'm a junior old fart at 60 - retired. Happy to join in for a lunch run, fo sho).

Last edited:
Catching up, I'm bench pressing 79% of body weight and have great strength. So nice to recover so soon. Sadly, the nerve pain isn't going away and an operation is on the horizon, though it won't be soon, given that Kaiser is wisely allocation ward space to future Covid cases.

My Dad stopped riding between his early to mid 60's. I can't remember the exact year.

He had an amazing early 90's Yamaha Yirago (an awesome bike), but what he ended with was a 1986 Yamaha Maxim, which is one of my favorite bikes to this day. He had a scare riding in town and that was it.

He said that the reflexes just don't work the same at a certain point. I respect anybody who is willing to let it go and exit this lifestyle safely and with good memories.

Well... this thread is gold for me in many ways. Started at the begining and went through all of it. Ernie rocking at 69 - 1/2 and beyong. Made me smile for sure.

Many here have matured into perhaps the thought of not riding or have quit. Some are no longer with us. :rose

I do love the time warp available on BARF and the Mrs. no longer thinks I should quit.... at least not out loud. :laughing

Off for 3 days of fun tomorrow and I believe I will be the geezer in the group :afm199
That is AOK because I am still doing it, enjoying it and I too love the folks who I ride with.
The best of times :Port

Moto people can be pretty special. :ride

This hits close to home. I'm currently 66 and in good shape. I've been riding , mainly sprotbiles , for over 46 years. Physically I'm in pretty good shape, although I do have a bad left knee with limited range. So I did the Right Thing and decided to get back into track days. Yes I'm slower than when I was racing but I think aggressive riding is keeping me mentally sharp. I'm probably delusional but , on the street, I feel I'm riding better than ever. I have enough experience to make up for some of the physical parts. I ride swiftly on the street but I leave a good safety margin , although to others it may not look like it. Again, experience. But I can see the end of my two wheel days way off on the horizon. Its an individual choice when to stop. Before I quit completely ill probably have a Can Am for a couple years.

Mad

You made several posts in this thread Mad. Back when you were in your 50's as I did.
Fun to go back and look at those perspectives 10 years or more later.

I'm 67 now and still having fun! Riding a Hypermotard now cause the ergo's are so forgiving ( I can't ride a sportbike for even one lap anymore...hurts too much). Going to TH this weekend for the PTT finally then planning to switch to dirt bikes for the wet months.:cool:

Attachments

• 107460837_10207420786113588_3809810779542035720_n.jpg
    107460837_10207420786113588_3809810779542035720_n.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm 67 now and still having fun! Riding a Hypermotard now cause the ergo's are so forgiving ( I can't ride a sportbike for even one lap anymore...hurts too much). Going to TH this weekend for the PTT finally then planning to switch to dirt bikes for the wet months.:cool:
Wait, a sport bike isn't ridden because of pain, but you're getting on a dirt bike? Of the friends I still have that ride, the ones who walk funny is because of dirt biking.

lol...yah, it's the knees. I can barely get my socks on anymore. The Hyper and my dirt bike don't require the knee bend like a sportbike does.;)

I have been non-crotch rocket rider for a decade. Fake knee does not bend so tall bikes only.
I would LOVE to ride dirt bikes, but between the fake knee and back issues and wrist... not in the cards.

Still loving two wheels though. About the only thing I do where I forget my age for the most part.

I can't believe I haven't posted in this almost 20 year old thread.
So, i turned 66 this year. Been riding since i was 15 years old. Since about 2016 I've retired from riding at least 3 times. But something always brings me back. I haven't ridden on the street since 2018, but that track kept me going. I have no desire to buy a street bike. Even with my sons ninja 400 sits in the garage, i never give it a second thought. But it's nice to have it there if I get an itch. I do have my trackbike. But i haven't done a trackday in over a year. A couple of friend are talking about doing a trackday in October, if I have the sv, ill take it out. If it's been sold by then, I'll have no regrets. My last posted retirement was because of arthritis in both hands. I get shots for that now and that helps to function. Now it's arthritis in my lower back that's creeping in. So the writing is on the wall for me when it comes to being involved in riding.
All I can say is thank you to my parents for allowing a 15 year old kid to buy a honda 125 streetbike. That bike changed my life and will be ever grateful to my parents and motorcycling. ❤️
Sorry if i have any typos. It's hard to type on a phone when your eyes start to water.😥

Last edited by a moderator:
Back