• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

When should we stop riding? -- perspectives of an older rider

superhawk,

See you list Prescott Valley, AZ as your location. My brother is giving serious consideration to moving there. One of his concerns, coming from the warmth of SoCal, is the winters. He didn't move back to SF Bay after college because he said he ached all the time in the marine climate.

How do your bones feel in that region? Any other info would be appreciated.

Bill

PS, I'm 70 and still ride long far.

superhawk,

See you list Prescott Valley, AZ as your location. My brother is giving serious consideration to moving there. One of his concerns, coming from the warmth of SoCal, is the winters. He didn't move back to SF Bay after college because he said he ached all the time in the marine climate.

How do your bones feel in that region? Any other info would be appreciated.

Bill

PS, I'm 70 and still ride long far.
Hey bill, the seasons are just like the bay area, the only difference is that it snows between december and march. But the snow is short lived. Average cold day in the peak of winter is 35 degrees. Gets colder overnight. No sub zero temps. Summers here are on average 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. The past summer we had a couple of weeks where the temps averaged 95. Now we're averaging 85 and dropping. I don't even own a heavey winter coat. Rarely wear gloves.The tri-valley is growing, but no whete near what the bay area was in the 50"s.
If he decides to visit. Send him my way, I'll give him a tour.đź‘Ť
Btw if he rides. There are plenty of back roads to choose from

For me its the weight, loading my Triumph in/out of my airstream.
I have found myself a little trapped on occasion, if I start too close to the door.
I'm slowly separating myself from her, another year or two, , ,

Living in Morro Bay gave me the aches, haven't felt them here, in the heat of summer.
We get freezing here in Cottonwood, @ 3 K' My hands are gonna hurt.
But no more marine layer of with the ache of arthritic humidity.

Last edited:
Adding to the perspective. Went on the Rydther Rally. 300 plus miles getting there had me worn out. I hit the room by 10:45 rather than going to the bar with the younger set. I was the OG in the group by a couple years. I could tell it was different than when I was 50 and the youngers would give me the inspiration to party like a rock star.

Took Saturday off to make sure riding home was a good experience. It was and the 320 did not wear me out like Friday had. I am wondering how much longer I can handle those 300 mile days and continue to act like a man much younger than 66.

Dropping this post so in 10 years I can look back at it and analyze where I really got old.
I think riding will still be in the mix, but those full day rides might not be. Spent a little time in Hawthorne thinking about some of the guys who rode there at my current age and I valued as friends. :rose

Made me pause and think when the last police officer that stopped me on my bike, and looking at my license, told me that: "You're too old to be riding like that."

"Yeah, you're probably right." Got me out of the ticket. Ten year later, now, I probably should take his advice.

Adding to the perspective. Went on the Rydther Rally. 300 plus miles getting there had me worn out. I hit the room by 10:45 rather than going to the bar with the younger set. I was the OG in the group by a couple years. I could tell it was different than when I was 50 and the youngers would give me the inspiration to party like a rock star.

Took Saturday off to make sure riding home was a good experience. It was and the 320 did not wear me out like Friday had. I am wondering how much longer I can handle those 300 mile days and continue to act like a man much younger than 66.

Dropping this post so in 10 years I can look back at it and analyze where I really got old.
I think riding will still be in the mix, but those full day rides might not be. Spent a little time in Hawthorne thinking about some of the guys who rode there at my current age and I valued as friends. :rose
Apologies budman that I didn’t rally round the Hawthorne youths to be the rally OldestG.

Thanks for the synopsis. He put his place in SoCal up for sale. Must be serious!

He used to ride. No longer has an M-1. Thinks he's too old. He's my YOUNGER brother, the damn sissy!

I'll probably get down that way to look at whatever he decides to buy. Can look you up. Did the long haul from State of Jefferson to Prescott by car. That might be undesirable for even my arse. on the bike.

You will know when it’s time to hang up your gear and stop riding.

I gave up riding gradually. First, I got a sporty convertible which became my new commute vehicle. Then my wife got Alzheimer’s and required care so I stopped all riding and gave my motorcycle to another BARFer. After she died, I figured I’d get another bike but then I had a stroke so I never got the FJR1300 I’d planned as my next bike.

Sometimes life will dictate when it’s time to stop.

Back