• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

When should we stop riding? -- perspectives of an older rider

Wow... Riverbank :thumbup and a TL1000R, I hope to see it on Ebbetts pass next summer :ride

Last edited:
Wow... Riverbank :thumbup and a TL1000R, I hope to see it on Ebbetts pass next summer :ride

if i can ever get this damn machine running reliably.its one problem after another but i cant part with the bitch.for better or for worse right.i wanna hit the sierras more this summer.i mainly ride hwy132 to snelling then merced falls and back.i'll let you know if i head out that way and when.the only friend i has that rides is puttin' around on his v-star.just keep an eye out for a tl with corona fairings.

Last edited:
I can only assume I would ride alot longer with a diaper on, than I do now without.

Test your assumption. We anxiously await your conclusions.

(pics or it didn't happen :twofinger)

OP here. Wow, I did not realize that this old thread had been revived. I appreciate the comments all have posted. Now that two more years have passed since the original post, I figure I should give you all an update:

Yes, I am still riding, commuting dalily across the Bay Bridge. I intend to continue riding for a very long time to come, but I may make some adjustments. When I can, I now head into the City at about 9 or 9:30 AM, when the commute traffic is not quite as thick. This actually shortens my commute time, is less claustrophobic, and thus more enjoyable. I also have a long term plan to work from Berkeley one or two days a week, but implementing that plan while I continue to carry a very full case-load has been problematic. I also plan to increase my pure pleasure riding time, but I need to make more time in my schedule to do that. As soon as I get my son's bike running again, he and I will be doing some weekend traveling together. I don't see me getting into racing, but I may try dirtbike riding again.

I believe my aging has stopped, because I don't feel any older now than when I was a few years back. By carrying out my New Year resolution to get back into better physical shape, I expect I can maintain sufficiently. (Thanks to those who posted up the physical training tips. I will be trying those out, and will report back with my experiences for others to consider.)

I still have not had any crashes, but I did come close a few months back. See this post for details: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273387

That scared me a bit for a while, but I am pretty much over it. I now take better precautions when riding through the toll plaza area. I am also working on containing my anger when someone does something stupid. I have not dragged anybody out of their car yet this year.

To the younger guys that take the "ride fast, die young" approach to the extreme, you are making a big mistake, and I truly hope you do not have to pay the price. I know bravado is perceived as "cool", and probably attracts the hotties, but your chances of getting laid when you are dead or maimed are slight. There is a lot in life to live for, including more riding, and more lovemaking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

We moved your thread here to 1Rider because you had some excellent insights about riding, risk, and reward, and because it promoted good discussion of the subject.

I'm glad to hear that you continue to ride and are enjoying it.

I cant imagine not riding

I am 44

I will say that the 180 mph lane splits have stopped

I am in no real hurry to get anywhere now

one too many funerals

This is one of the best questions I've seen posted on here. I'd have to say that it is different with ever individual. Some people are old beyond their years. I've seen some guys that are in their mid 50's that can twist a sportbike up the mountain faster than most death crazed early 20 year olds. Then again I've also seen some guys that are barly 50 years old but look/react like an 80 year old. If you are in shape and are able to physically and mentally handle riding I say keep at it. Once you are unable to do so its time to hang up the helmet for good.

This reminds me I need to put an anonymous tip to the DMV about grandma... shes too old to drive these days. She wont admit it but she is a danger to everyone else on the road.

Great thread... as usual I'm a little late.

I am about OP's age. Been riding since high school. Coast to coast etc.

I used to commute the highways and toll roads of Chicago. Then did the Mighty 101 from San Jo to Mountain View for a couple decades. Finally did 280 from SJ to Cupertino for about 6 years.

The best thing I've done for my riding enjoyment/safety is to retire and quit that #$%^&* commute. The apparent dangers oveshadowed the enjoys.

To compensate for the thrills of a 70 MPH blast up the highway at 7:00 AM in the fog, I took up Land Speed Racing. Point it straight, wring the throttle, then work for more $peed.

It is truely a miracle that I've made it to this age. I've slowed down, tried to improve my situational awareness, and generaly work towards being less of an insufferable jackass on public roads. Granted that doesn't stop the "young woman on cell phone rear ends biker at stop light" syndrome.

Riding vintage bikes helps in this effort.... well the slowing down anyhow.

I offer no solutions OP. But I gotta believe thinking is better than not.

Tonerjockey

Great thread to read through different perspectives. I'll share the thoughts of a young rider just got into riding.
Every time riding on highways I have the question of "What's gonna happen if some Ahole driver clip me on the side while I'm at 80mph?" floating around in my head while riding. And sometimes, I could picture it too. But then I ask myself what are the chances? I mean, you could just be sitting in your house doing nothing and next thing you know, a plane crash landing on top your roof. I just think that you'll go whenever your number is up, cant help it. But I still try to ride safe like stay under 90mph max, look and blinker when change lane and scan ahead/look where I going, and all that safety precaution stuffs. Cuz I guess all this help to make it longer before your number is called.
So my bottom line is as long as I still can have fun and enjoy it, I'll ride. But if I'm at the point when I'm physically incapable or too overwhelm with all the worries that would affect my performance on the road and somehow would endanger others in the process, I'll call it quit.
Age is not really the factor here. I know people in their 20s who just quit after a few years just cuz they said they didn't wanna deal with the "consequences."

Every time riding on highways I have the question of "What's gonna happen if some Ahole driver clip me on the side while I'm at 80mph?" floating around in my head while riding. And sometimes, I could picture it too. But then I ask myself what are the chances? I mean, you could just be sitting in your house doing nothing and next thing you know, a plane crash landing on top your roof. I just think that you'll go whenever your number is up, cant help it.
I call that the "risk equivalence fallacy". Here's a hypothetical example:
"Dude, that was a really messed up pass you made on the SUV going into that blind turn. If you're gonna do shit like that, you need to find someone else to ride with, because I won't put up with it."

"Sand in your vagina, mate? You could fall in the shower and die. But you still take a shower don't you?"​
The problem with comparing a motorcycle crash to falling in the shower or getting hit by a falling airplane is the vast difference in probability. If you're doing 80mph in, say, 60mph traffic, it's far more likely that a driver in the next lane won't see you and will swerve into your lane than it is that an airplane will hit you any time in the next 50 years.

To prevent a car from clipping you at 80mph, you need more than just luck; it takes knowledge, judgment, and skill. With experience you'll learn how to avoid that and most of the other dangers riders face every day. But it takes some effort to learn how to anticipate problem situations and not be there when they happen.

But I still try to ride safe like stay under 90mph max...
Read the 1Rider thread "Good Speed / Bad Speed". Safe speed is more than just a number. Sometimes 90mph is perfectly safe. At other times, 25mph can be deadly. Learn how speed contributes to crashes and you'll be able to judge safe speed for the situation.

Here's to a safe riding season! :thumbup

The problem with comparing a motorcycle crash to falling in the shower or getting hit by a falling airplane is the vast difference in probability. If you're doing 80mph in, say, 60mph traffic, it's far more likely that a driver in the next lane won't see you and will swerve into your lane than it is that an airplane will hit you any time in the next 50 years.

Another issue is that being hit by an airplane is, for practical purposes, a set risk that's outside our ability to control. Motorcycling is not: your chances of being injured are greatly affected by your actions during the course of a normal ride. They increase with dangerous riding habits, and decrease with safe riding habits.

Statistical averages don't reflect the actual level of risk each individual rider takes -- they reflect motorcycling and it's culture as a whole.

I know I'm late to this, but when I taught the wheelie school I had a student who had been riding four years longer than anyone else present had been alive. He was 74 I think. Took the class, took his time, did alright, had a good time and went home in one piece.

My dad is 54 and will keep riding until he's no longer physically capable. I'm almost 28 and will also ride until I can't. Adjustments have to be made. He now rides Harley's and at a slower pace. I now ride track days for the most part.

We're all addicts, some of us just receive interventions before others.

when you run out of money, or your wife complains too much, or you neglect your home, or all your vacation days turn into track days, or when you neglect your children, or when you neglect your career, or when you neglect your beer, need I go on? :)

Back