• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's gone Solar

Renegade means no permit and no pge solar plan. Zero export, because you don't want to pay to send power to grid. It should be minimally invasive, like you just install a new outlet on a backfeed breaker, place a couple ct's around l1/l2 mains, then plug & play.

I'd like to be able to have power when the power is out, ideally using my 6kwh 24v lifepo4 battery.

I'd like to be able to supplement a couple/few thousand watts, evenly(split phase), and not have to run main power(2/0 cables) through the inverter.

I would not say there are a lot on that site. There might be two, there might be zero.

Renegade means no permit and no pge solar plan. Zero export, because you don't want to pay to send power to grid. It should be minimally invasive, like you just install a new outlet on a backfeed breaker, place a couple ct's around l1/l2 mains, then plug & play.

I'd like to be able to have power when the power is out, ideally using my 6kwh 24v lifepo4 battery.

I'd like to be able to supplement a couple/few thousand watts, evenly(split phase), and not have to run main power(2/0 cables) through the inverter.

I would not say there are a lot on that site. There might be two, there might be zero.
Well any electrical you install into your box would fit that category. I'll likely be doing just that through my transfer switch. I installed it myself and got it permitted. It's literally a 14-50 plug with 6 manually switched circuits and will be doing just that. The automating, and exactly what you want automated could be more complex, but there's no reason you can't hook an inverter/ charger to your battery bank and energize the "outlet". Pge doesn't need to know anything about it. Your county and insurance provider are another story.

You have prismatics? I've got a couple old Scoot batteries that are lfp 18650s and some 8s 50ah lipo batteries in planning on utilizing for power savings. Likely going to run 1 then 2 3kw inverters as my "generator".

Well any electrical you install into your box would fit that category. I'll likely be doing just that through my transfer switch. I installed it myself and got it permitted. It's literally a 14-50 plug with 6 manually switched circuits and will be doing just that. The automating, and exactly what you want automated could be more complex, but there's no reason you can't hook an inverter/ charger to your battery bank and energize the "outlet". Pge doesn't need to know anything about it. Your county and insurance provider are another story.

You have prismatics? I've got a couple old Scoot batteries that are lfp 18650s and some 8s 50ah lipo batteries in planning on utilizing for power savings. Likely going to run 1 then 2 3kw inverters as my "generator".

The thing I didn't quite like about using dedicated circuits is that you're leaving power in the table if they're not using everything. Seemed like backfeeding a 240 plug into the main panel would be better, then you just control usage on your own. Doesn't seem like many systems are setup to run this way though.

Yes, prismatic cells from Docan. I know most proper home systems run on 48v, so I'd be fine with building another pack.

One thing I don't like about the Legion kit, it looks like it's 120v only.

The thing I didn't quite like about using dedicated circuits is that you're leaving power in the table if they're not using everything. Seemed like backfeeding a 240 plug into the main panel would be better, then you just control usage on your own. Doesn't seem like many systems are setup to run this way though.

Yes, prismatic cells from Docan. I know most proper home systems run on 48v, so I'd be fine with building another pack.

One thing I don't like about the Legion kit, it looks like it's 120v only.
I bet an auto transfer switch would do what you're wanting, except in reverse. Treat your battery like the grid and transfer to the grid when you're depleted. Not a bad idea, but I already had my switch and got all the batteries for free so.....

With something like that I'd want more reliability than the typical Chinese diy supply. I'd check out victron to see if you can design something that'd work. They have decent enough 24v stuff for the rv people too.

Last edited:
I think the next step is the design team will reach out to you (us) in 2-3 weeks after the assessment. I think that happens BEFORE the permit is submitted because at that point you can still add more panels, powerwalls, etc. At least that is what the guy told me on his way out the door.

So, have you heard anything yet?

Welp, we have a Zinsco panel which apparently suck and could have problems in the future.

"Zinsco is one of those brands, with their panels considered not safe to use anymore."

Looks like we'll need a new panel to go forward at all with solar...

Welp, we have a Zinsco panel which apparently suck and could have problems in the future.

"Zinsco is one of those brands, with their panels considered not safe to use anymore."

Looks like we'll need a new panel to go forward at all with solar...

I am not a tax expert, but I believe you can get the 30% tax credit on the panel replacement if it was a condition of installing solar. And, yes, they do suck. I had a 20 amp breaker with 29 amps running through it without it tripping. Serious fire hazard.

Flip

I am not a tax expert, but I believe you can get the 30% tax credit on the panel replacement if it was a condition of installing solar. And, yes, they do suck. I had a 20 amp breaker with 29 amps running through it without it tripping. Serious fire hazard.

Flip

I'll check into that. Thanks!

I got one quote with a service upgrade to 200a, I think it was 30% off the entire quote.

Yeah. And as I am researching, I think upgrading the panel is what triggers the requirement to meet the "new" code which requires a three foot clearance between the gas meter and electric panel. Which sucks ass for us as there is a cement pad which the AC sits on to the right and the gate to the front immediately to the left. Still checking but I'm bummed that it's looking like this will be a lot more $$ than I thought it would be.

Think I'm out for a pro install. They want like $15k just to trench to my meter, never mind all the actual solar equipment/installation.

Think I'm out for a pro install. They want like $15k just to trench to my meter, never mind all the actual solar equipment/installation.

Holy crap! How long is that trench? We could easily do 400' in a day in hilly terrane. $250/d for trencher and $250/d for the worker/operator. You might look into a 3rd party to do the trenching if not yourself.

Yeah it's clearly a mini profit center in itself. I think it's a bit over 300'. Is it even necessary? Why can't you connect at the house? They definitely seemed confused by it, so I'm guessing they don't do many rural installs.

You can connect to any panel fed by the main as long as that panel has the capacity to handle the back-feed breaker. Then at the main you label the breaker that feeds the panel you connected to as the SOLAR breaker. This is commonly done. The required solar labeling must be done at both panels. No biggie.

Crickets since the inspection, and we are now on the opposite side of their timeline. Tis a waiting game now...

Same.

I was hoping you'd heard something by now, as you had your site inspection about a week before I did.

Same.

I was hoping you'd heard something by now, as you had your site inspection about a week before I did.

Yeah, as soon as there is progress, I'll share, but right now it's just a matter of waiting and patience. I figured maybe another 1-2-3-6 weeks until I hear something, lol.

Smaller companies in the area have already installed systems within the same time frame, lol, but I think we knew what we were getting into with Tesla Solar ;)

Just received (and approved) official plans for the install. They're going to initiate the PG&E process while I slap another layer of shingles on my roof.

Much excite, very solar.

Back