• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's gone Solar

I just got notified by Tesla that local permits were approved. Now I'm just wait for them to schedule installation.

Same boat - I got the notice on Tuesday (May 9th) :thumbup

45mins after posting this ^ I get this email...

Your Energy Installation Is Scheduled for Monday August 21, 2023

Last edited:
Same boat - I got the notice on Tuesday (May 9th) :thumbup

45mins after posting this ^ I get this email...

:thumbup

I'm right behind ya brotha! I got a call today and a follow up email that stated...

Please send over the photo of the cleared area inside your garage by responding to this email with an attachment.

Your installation date will be assigned within 24 hours of closing out this request.

:thumbup

I'm right behind ya brotha! I got a call today and a follow up email that stated...

They haven't given you an estimated install date? That means you're almost certainly going to be pushed out further than my date (Aug. 21st). Maybe we will have it "turned on" right around the same time as the rain starts :rofl

They haven't given you an estimated install date? That means you're almost certainly going to be pushed out further than my date (Aug. 21st). Maybe we will have it "turned on" right around the same time as the rain starts :rofl

Well, just got my installation date. It's May 19th.

Freaking seper solaris d!ckheads send me a docusign with my panel configuration and it's not what we agreed upon so I say no to it and send them a pic of the agreed upon configuration and the guy emails me back telling me this is their satellite image of the optimal design so I have to remind him of standing in my driveway pointing at my neighbors Frankenstein house of solar panels gone wild and how I don't want to ruin the aesthetic of my remodeled home and as long as my bill is cut in half I'll be happy and, if he questions me one more time we can always call it quits. Geez, what does it take to get what you want these days?

Freaking seper solaris d!ckheads send me a docusign with my panel configuration and it's not what we agreed upon so I say no to it and send them a pic of the agreed upon configuration and the guy emails me back telling me this is their satellite image of the optimal design so I have to remind him of standing in my driveway pointing at my neighbors Frankenstein house of solar panels gone wild and how I don't want to ruin the aesthetic of my remodeled home and as long as my bill is cut in half I'll be happy and, if he questions me one more time we can always call it quits. Geez, what does it take to get what you want these days?

I'd simply connect with these two people on LinkedIn letting them know you are a customer looking for an escalation contact within the company:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-almond/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelly-shawhan/

Let your contact know that you are spinning up a conversation with the founders (John and Kelly) on how to make things right. If your contact wants to make this easier, you're happy to continue the conversation as long as it includes A, B, and C.

Still no date set for my install. Not a terrible thing as I still haven't put the new shingles on. :laughing
Plan is to have them delivered on Friday and start fresh on Saturday morning. S'posed to be in the 70's all weekend so it should be a good time once I get them all up on the roof.

Still no date set for my install. Not a terrible thing as I still haven't put the new shingles on. :laughing
Plan is to have them delivered on Friday and start fresh on Saturday morning. S'posed to be in the 70's all weekend so it should be a good time once I get them all up on the roof.

Since we are both WSC, did you sign off on your layout drawing? I did about a week ago. Install is August?? I wonder if people will drop out and the install will move up accordingly. Hope so.

Yes sir, everything signed and approved and filed.

They received the second check a month ago. Really hoping to get everything powered on before the summer heat.

The installation crew has been up on my roof all morning. Installation is under way. :cool

Ok, what do you guys think? Is this acceptable?

This where they installed my Inverter in the garage.

attachment.php

They left this hole in the sheet rock connecting the Inverter to the main power panel on the other side of the wall.

attachment.php

Is that an acceptable way to finish the job? I'm thinking they should have done a sheet rock repair around that, and not left it open like that. What do you guys think? Should I insist they fix this before paying the bill?

Attachments

• 20230520_140403.jpg
    20230520_140403.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20230520_140409.jpg
    20230520_140409.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 128
I’d start with a detailed read of the contract you signed with them and see if it says anything about repairing walls or restoring finishes to the way they were originally. It may or may not. But starting with that is the way I’d go. From there it becomes a discussion with the vendor, putting the same question to them as you did with us here, including the pictures. See what they say (assuming there isn’t anything in the contract that would indicate they are indeed responsible for patching it up).

I’d start with a detailed read of the contract you signed with them and see if it says anything about repairing walls or restoring finishes to the way they were originally. It may or may not. But starting with that is the way I’d go. From there it becomes a discussion with the vendor, putting the same question to them as you did with us here, including the pictures. See what they say (assuming there isn’t anything in the contract that would indicate they are indeed responsible for patching it up).

I found this in the contract.

6. Installation. We will contact you to schedule installation of your System. During installation, we might choose to make minor repairs commonly needed to install the System at no additional cost to you (like simple electric upgrades and roof preparation). We promise to repair or pay for damage we directly cause to your home or your property during installation of your System. If we fail to do that, please let us know, and we will make the repair (or have someone repair it) at our cost (and that will be your only remedy). But you need to let us know in writing and within a certain amount of time following the damage: within 10 years for Solar System installations, 4 years for Powerwall installations and 1 year for anything else.

So I'm not sure if that is considered damage or not. I know they had to make holes in the wall to connect the Inverter. Just seems to me it should have been finished to close up the open hole around the connection. That does not look like a completed professional job to me. Makes me a little concerned about what I can't see up on the roof.

Last edited:
Well, I would say that an open hole in drywall is damage if the wall didn’t have an hole in it before. So step 2 would be to let them know in writing with the pictures (per what I said in previous comment - just like you did here).

You might want to call them first and ask them about it - being a pretty small thing they may not require quite so much formality. An email might work just fine - not sure whether legally that constitutes “in writing” these days or not.

If that allows entrance of critters then I'd definitely have them fix it.

If it's just cosmetic, I would just fix it myself.

I think you're going about it right. Ask about it and try not to cause a bigger stink than necessary. I'd be most concerned about the job done around the outside hole(s) they need to make through the stucco and onto the roof. Comparing with mine, I would say that inside hole isn't top-tier professional...in my unprofessional opinion. And although my inside work looks to have been done a bit nicer but still sort of open, the exterior hole was made and filled in perfectly. They even painted the outside metal conduit to match the house.

Chances are they can either fix it easily or have a contact for someone who can.

best of luck

Last edited:
It gets worse. This is how they left the exterior wall.

attachment.php

I'm concerned about the condition of the roof that I can't see.

Attachments

• 20230521_125054.jpg
    20230521_125054.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 174
yeah, I wouldn't be happy about that either.

Attachments

• solar_outside conduit from wall.jpg
    solar_outside conduit from wall.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19
I'd climb up there and assess the roof situation before I made any calls or send any emails.

The condition of the roof would definitely decide the tone.

Back