• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's gone Solar

I haven't paid a power bill in 4 year since buying my solar system.. But I bought it outright..

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but my recent solar installation includes a device that diverts otherwise unused solar power to the hot water heater. If you have an electric water heater this is probably your biggest single use of electricity, and with a diverter you won't pay anything for it unless you have an extended period of cloudiness.

The one I use (Catch Power) is specific to the Australian market, but here's an article that talks about them more generally.

I'm a bit confused about the value of this device. Is the notion that this is part of an end solution to completely decouple from the grid? This doesn't seem super helpful if you have net-energy metering.

Also the time when you need hot water usually pretty closely coincides with periods of time when the array is making minimal power.

I'm a bit confused about the value of this device. Is the notion that this is part of an end solution to completely decouple from the grid? This doesn't seem super helpful if you have net-energy metering.

Also the time when you need hot water usually pretty closely coincides with periods of time when the array is making minimal power.

The water heater stores energy, so we can heat it only when the sun shines and pay nothing. Furthermore the device uses only excess solar power.

Of course if you are paid for export to the grid at the same rate per kWh that you pay for import then it doesn't matter. For us it's about a 1:3 ratio.

So how much power are you guys producing daily? My system ... is now constantly producing 43-44 kwh a day with 16 panels.

My system has averaged around 55 kWh/day this month with a peak of 62. It's pretty amazing how much impact there is on production when it's overcast.

Attachments

• 2023-06-20EP.jpg
    2023-06-20EP.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2023-06EP.jpg
    2023-06EP.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
So how much power are you guys producing daily?

I think the real question is how much money will you end up paying for electric at the end of year 1? Or maybe even better - what did you pay for your system, and how much did you save in electricity bills?

Our system went live last year on July 14, sized to 108% of our average usage for previous two years. With less than a month to go we’re at about 113% of annual usage during the last 12 months, which includes a cool summer last year (no a/c) and a cloudy spring this year (lower production).

We’re on track to have zero electricity cost for last 12 months, not including the $10/mo interconnect fee.

who here is thinking about putting your power bill in your kid's name to circumvent a future fixed fee based on income? My step-son is 18 and in college, so he's the perfect candidate for our designated PG&E ratepayer :laughing

Retired parents would be another good option.

who here is thinking about putting your power bill in your kid's name to circumvent a future fixed fee based on income? My step-son is 18 and in college, so he's the perfect candidate for our designated PG&E ratepayer :laughing

Retired parents would be another good option.

Just spent some time with my bro-in-law who deals with all the regulatory stuff. He seems to think this rate deal will not go through. I hope he's right, I don't like it... But we do have a 19 year old son living us!!! :laughing

Contractors out of Dallas finished installing the Tesla panels today. Now the real wait begins.

Last edited:
Still waiting...it will be 5 weeks tomorrow since it passed city inspection. Probably about 3 weeks since they sent PG&E the paperwork to approve. Tesla took a good week after the passed inspection to even open up the payment method and then took about another week or so to confirm they received the payment.

Things just move slowly when you work on solar time I guess.

Things just move slowly when you work on solar time I guess.

Tesla's drag ass mentality

I should have my city inspection done tomorrow. A bit of surprise when Elon called me just a few minutes ago to ask if I would be available.

Just got a letter from Water Power Sewer saying I can cash out my $168 in credit or use it for billing credit. Never knew you could actually get money back I thought the best you could do is break even.

I've generated 17,500 ish kwH since getting the system, how do I calculate the actual "cost" to me value if I hadn't had solar?

Just got a letter from Water Power Sewer saying I can cash out my $168 in credit or use it for billing credit. Never knew you could actually get money back I thought the best you could do is break even.

I've generated 17,500 ish kwH since getting the system, how do I calculate the actual "cost" to me value if I hadn't had solar?

Use the cost of electricity per year you paid before you got solar?

I can cash out my $168 in credit or use it for billing credit...

I'm still trying to figure out the monthly bills I get from PG&E. I had them install a system that was a bit bigger than I thought I'd need so I'd have excess capacity for an EV and/or electric heat. So far I've generated about 10MWh according to the enphase monitoring app.

My cost for electricity varies by time of day and time of year but it seems to be in the $0.40 - 0.50 / kWh range. So for you, on the low end, that would be around $7,000 of power you've produced. To determine your "cost" look at one of your bills from before you had solar and see what rate you were paying.

Attachments

• NEM-total.jpg
    NEM-total.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 20
Back