• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's the face behind the screen name?

picture-51.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Back in the day! A buddy and me were buying CHP bikes at auction for around $600 to $900 when we could scrape up the cash. The frame on this one was a '68. My buddy kept the "Shovelhead / generator motor" and the tranny. I bought a new motor (74 cubic inch Shovelhead -$801.00) and new tranny ($324.00), bobbed the fender at the hinge, shortened the fender struts, molded in the tail light, had Arlen Ness make the tank and pullback handle bars (Actually if I remember correctly it was his father-in-law that made the tank and bars for me. He was helping Arlen with fabbing stuff at the little hole in the wall shop on East 14th St.) Got a Sportster front end, re-stemmed the triple trees to fit the FLH frame, put 6" over tubes on it, chromed the brake drums and new spokes, laced the front drum to a 3.00x21 rim, rear was stock 16" rim chromed. Wrap around oil bag was chromed, all chrome work was done by Advanced Plating in Oakland, old guy that owned the shop sure knew is stuff. I left the motor stock except for replacing the stock cam and hydraulic lifters a Sifton solid lifter cam setup (cam, lifters, pushrods). Made a huge difference in the way the motor ran! :teeth
At that time, here in the Bay Area, any paint job that had a "skull and wings" on it was not accepted unless you were were part of an "exclusive fraternity". Happened to be at the Cow Palace bike swap meet, held in January each year and was asked by some members of the "exclusive fraternity" if I liked my bike and wanted to keep it, if so the skull and wings had to be removed. :wow So, I re-did the paint on the bike to what is in the picture. Eventually went to 2" over front tubes and bike handled better, didn't stop worth shit, but did handle better. Rode that bike for a lot of years and on lots of bike runs, to Clovis (once, but that's another story!), the Frog Jumps at Angels Camp, and the early Redwood runs. Ah... back in the day!

4233664673_c52969575f_b.jpg

Last edited:
For posterity

I'm the goofball waving to the google vehicle.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 98
Oh what the hell...Subsgal and Submrnr :p

Attachments

• jmeaster1.jpg
    jmeaster1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,210
Back