• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

WTF, Dublin High Kid Jumped at School

got that right. I would think just knowing an SRO is somewhere on campus is a significant deterrent, esp for a parent-vigilante. An SRO at the front of the school could have seen the masked group of people entering campus.

If the outcome reveals that he was beaten up for dressing down a bully I hope that mother gets jail time. Done with these stupid racist (because she used the n word) idiots getting away with bad behavior. I’m assuming mom is one of Dublin’s plastic fantastic white ladies.
Do we know the mom in question is white?

We do not thus the “assumption.”

"I want everyone to know that my son was mistaken identity - it wasn't even my son that they wanted but one of his friends," she said.

Police say this isn't a random incident, but no arrests have been made. School resource officers are still investigating.

Barfield is making calls for unity. Her restaurant, Cherie's Southern Kitchen, will now host a Unity Prayer Brunch on Sunday with part of the proceeds going directly back to Dublin High's football program.

"Because we want to ensure that our students are safe and locking the door in the back is not the answer," she said. "So if we can give them enough money to where they can hire full-time staff to be on site and present so this doesn't happen to anyone's child ever again, I will continue to raise as much money as I can."

Dublin Unified School District send the following statement following our report:

"Following this incident, we have increased adult presence in the locker room area at Dublin High and adjusted access to this area of campus. We have asked Dublin PD to increase its presence on the campus. Site and district leadership will review physical security, safety procedures, staffing, reporting, and other security-related concerns. Counseling support is available on all campuses for those left feeling insecure or uneasy."

The school district did not share any details on the student who approached the victim with her mom. However, Barfield told us the student was suspended.

Keeps getting clearer, but still... wrong kid? Daughter with Mom??

Sounds like the family is doing OK, but a bummer the young man will miss his first football game. :(

Typical BARF thread is typical. Mistaken identity. Sucks for the kid, but life experience. Don't surf the phone when people are threatening, IME.

All the same, Cherie's Southern Kitchen (https://cheriesouthernkitchen.com/) looks darn good. Can't beat authentic southern Cajun. Gonna grab lunch there when I go to pick up the Genesis. Thanks BARF for the tip...best thing I can do is to be Cherie's customer.

Typical BARF thread is typical. Mistaken identity. Sucks for the kid, but life experience. Don't surf the phone when people are threatening, IME.
That last detail doesn’t make sense and has struck me odd the whole time. Unless he was trying to contact someone, and he hasn’t said that.

I think he was trying to de-escalate. Ignore the threat, etc. That didn't work.

"I was just sitting there on my phone and they jumped me" sounds exactly like something a kid would tell their mom. Thats probably an exxageration, downplaying his part in some way. But it doesnt matter, especially at a school. He got jumped in a locker room completely outnumbered with an adult there.

The situation seems like an adult caused the battery of a minor, using 4 other people. It seems like that adult deserves jail time. But as many are saying, we are still just guessing.

Part of the trouble with this, as many other cases, is the disparity of information being reported. Earlier, I’d shared reporting from KCBS that said the victim had stood up for a developmentally disabled kid and insulted a girl in the process. His mom says it was a case of mistaken identity. I read another report that included a phrase saying the kid’s father had followed the victim into the locker room. I couldn’t tell which “kid” they meant. The article had vibes of being AI generated and I wondered if the reference to a father was an AI hallucination.

Meanwhile, the victim’s mom is suing the school while calling for unity. That might not be completely incongruous, but I’m getting a funny feeling about some of the things she has been quoted as saying. Then again, context is everything and I think the reporting is leaving that out.

Lol, I just tried to have AI write a fake story that masked that one but make up a bunch of details. I'm obviously not very good at AI because it told me to go pound sand.

Not sure what Dublin High's access situation is. At the middle school I work at there is a fence around the perimeter of the school. The front gate is open in the morning and afternoon to let the kids move through but during the day the gates are closed and the only way into the school is through the office.
Of course someone could climb over the fence but it's far from being open to anyone.

I read on SFGate that two former students had been arrested in connection with this.

So a guy I work with had this to say (his son attends Dublin High):

"Dublin high update: The student that was attacked is a known bully since Mid school per the student that I talked to last Sat. and said he got what he deserved"

:Popcorn

He may be a bully but adults beating up children is never ok.
I’m sure the criminal and civil cases that are coming will have a field day with this.

There is certainly a range of seemingly opposing narratives in this story. It would be good to remember the facts are not all in.

Completely agree that adults beating up a kid isn't OK.

Yeah, I'm not condoning adults beat up kids (or anyone). Just passing along a tidbit from a guy I work with.

Completely agree that adults beating up a kid isn't OK.

Can't agree fully. "Kids" these days can mean some pretty capable fighters. Add in the group attack mentality prevalent on most social media distributed fights and age don't matter one bit. Most videos are kids against adult (or other kids against kid). Size being the determiner, I don't care about the age.

Back