“This is my fucking road”

yeah - i was thinking strictly about, as i said, ‘more’ aggressive. not searching for the limit. doing that in an environment with roadside hazards (trees, cliffs, buildings, etc) is bat-shit crazy, even for the best riders. even experienced racers would have the sense to at least take their personal safety into account. except for isle of man types. and personally, i think they’re bat-shit crazy too lol.

What you describe, the phenomenon of going faster when one knows the road, is enabled by remembering turn configuration of turns one can’t fully see. By definition, this is an indication of out riding sight lines, which sooner or later is likely to not end well.
Compound that with a willingness to buzz other riders and you have a deadly combination.

What you describe, the phenomenon of going faster when one knows the road, is enabled by remembering turn configuration of turns one can’t fully see. By definition, this is an indication of out riding sight lines, which sooner or later is likely to not end well.
I always feel the need to comment on this because IMO we all do this... unless over that blind hill you slow to 5mph to see what is on the other side or in the mountains where there are turns where you cannot see through, but believe that yellow speed recommendation signs and out ride the sight line because you cannot see far enough to react to a giant bull standing in your path or whatever.

Some do it more than others. We all have our comfort zones and manage the risk differently.

Cueball has his.. I have mine and others have theirs.

so I was on my Z400 on Redwood road and got past by a female on a GSXR 750. I pulled over and talked to her, she had dark skin long eye lashes and finger nails. I'd like it if she exchanged some paint. Rubbing is racing.

I always feel the need to comment on this because IMO we all do this... unless over that blind hill you slow to 5mph to see what is on the other side or in the mountains where there are turns where you cannot see through, but believe that yellow speed recommendation signs and out ride the sight line because you cannot see far enough to react to a giant bull standing in your path or whatever.

Some do it more than others. We all have our comfort zones and manage the risk differently.

Cueball has his.. I have mine and others have theirs.
Agree. I hear the words, “Never outride your sight lines” a lot, but I doubt I know anyone who doesn’t do that once in a while.

Years ago, I was riding alone on Mines Road and was approaching a blind right. A few yards from the turn entry, I began to smell exhaust and realized there had to be a slower moving vehicle in front of me. I rolled off and slowed. A few seconds later, I found a very slow moving flatbed in my lane. There was no shoulder and braking was the only option. There was enough space to brake, barely. Had I not smelled the exhaust, I would not have slowed and would probably have ass-packed the truck.

By definition, this is an indication of out riding sight lines, which sooner or later is likely to not end well.
Absolutely spot on. Years ago I got to the top of the hill SB coming up from 35/84 where it bends to the right (and right where I usually wicked it up)...come around the bend to DEAD STOPPED traffic headed by an ambulance attending to a crash. Got on the brakes HARD, ABS kicks in and I shift slightly to the left as I stop next to the rear quarter panel of the last car whose brake light I had barely spotted. Since then I take a way more chill approach especially on roads I know in my sleep because that cavalier expectation that the road conditions, traffic etc. are consistent is a delusion. One more car in that line and ... maybe I see it earlier, or...maybe I’m in the rear seat.

weird that something like that happened. it’s a hazardous situation even when incoming traffic is going the speed limit. usually, multiple agencies and vehicles respond, and they deploy one or more to slow incoming traffic - whether they can see what’s ahead or not. whether they do it to protect the incoming traffic is debatable, but they certainly do it to protect the emergency personnel on the ground. at least that’s the way it works in our jurisdiction. and i would guess it’s standard protocol.

weird that something like that happened. it’s a hazardous situation even when incoming traffic is going the speed limit. usually, multiple agencies and vehicles respond, and they deploy one or more to slow incoming traffic - whether they can see what’s ahead or not. whether they do it to protect the incoming traffic is debatable, but they certainly do it to protect the emergency personnel on the ground. at least that’s the way it works in our jurisdiction. and i would guess it’s standard protocol.
They usually do, but not always. Last fall I was returning home at night westbound on 108 somewhere between Dardanelles and strawberry, when I had to brake HARD to avoid fire trucks and Highway Patrol who were blocking both lanes. It was a blind left with nothing on the outside of the turn to reflect their lights. From my perspective they suddenly appeared.

The cop closed to me started yelling at me to watch my speed. I yelled back that my speed had been at the limit and why the hell weren’t there flares or a car prior to the turn. I said we were both lucky I didn’t hit him and that he might got be that lucky with the next guy.

I had to wait for a while (maybe so the next guy could hit me), but as I waited, one of their cars went up the road behind me and started putting flares down.

Yeah, if memory serves it was a line of 4-5 cars then the ambulance so not a lot of time that traffic had been stopped and not yet an established scene. Good point, but in the hills responders likely do not arrive on a call at the same time.

I have seen time create a circumstance did not allow for responders to get things set up as well.

I have also been the volunteer to go up the road to wave down motorists about the issue ahead.
The Sheriff had not even thought about it and I asked "what if... want me to go up the road and..."

Absolutely spot on. Years ago I got to the top of the hill SB coming up from 35/84 where it bends to the right (and right where I usually wicked it up)...come around the bend to DEAD STOPPED traffic headed by an ambulance attending to a crash. Got on the brakes HARD, ABS kicks in and I shift slightly to the left as I stop next to the rear quarter panel of the last car whose brake light I had barely spotted. Since then I take a way more chill approach especially on roads I know in my sleep because that cavalier expectation that the road conditions, traffic etc. are consistent is a delusion. One more car in that line and ... maybe I see it earlier, or...maybe I’m in the rear seat.
Happened to me in 1988.

Never happened again.

Touch wood.

It is a tough deal if you're the first cop coming on scene. Always variables but generally park so the patrol car's lights are warning to the rear, then go check on Px conditions and radio that in. Then decide how to manage the 23 people milling around a two-car crash, then traffic coming in the same lanes, opposing lanes, drop flares (less of those during fire season- hate to watch the flare you lighted go rolling down the hill & over the side into thick/tall standing brush)... all the while knowing your priority is clearing the traffic lanes and get folks moving is job #1. It much like herding cats until you get help.

the day my Ma died I had half the ECPD in her house, the cop interviewing me is all antsy and finally asks me why I seem familiar. I asked if was at the accident where a pedestrian had been hit the day before, he said yes and I told him I was the guy directing traffic, he visibly relaxed. I always try to help the cops out and we all know that crashes are part of riding and traffic control is part of being a responsible rider. Always wave to cops.

the day my Ma died I had half the ECPD in her house, the cop interviewing me is all antsy and finally asks me why I seem familiar. I asked if was at the accident where a pedestrian had been hit the day before, he said yes and I told him I was the guy directing traffic, he visibly relaxed. I always try to help the cops out and we all know that crashes are part of riding and traffic control is part of being a responsible rider. Always wave to cops.
There was a moto cop in the parking lot yesterday. I went over to him and said… dude! Thank you for your service. Got a good nod.

In regards to knowing the road and outriding your sight lines, I was on a road I ride every single day going the speed limit and I came upon a lost idiot in a Tesla making a U-Turn in a blind corner blocking the entire road! I BARELY had time to come to a stop...

He made sure to let me know he was sorry by waving...SMH
:mad::mad::mad:

You never know what lies around the next bend...ride accordingly.

I’ve done the same. I’ll check to see if the people involved in the accident need my help and if not, I’ll go back down the road a ways to wave down other drivers.

All of those guys are slow up on the hill, but they won't recognize this until they ride a closed course. Road speed is exhilarating. Closed course is technical, repeatable and specifically measurable...and that's where the heartbreak comes for these types of riders.

Back