• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

1983 CX650 Eurosport restoration thread.

Tank swipe red looks good. I like the name.

Just found out last night that the kick stand bracket is bent.
It has always leaned over farther than it should since I bought it, I'd thought that the bracket was augered from years of use. Not an unknown phenomenon in high mileage CX's.
Nope. Bent.

Been a while since the last update.
Sacramento, where Larry lives, has been, well, let's just say, HOT.
So hot (109 today), that his air compressor overheats and can't push past 60 psi. The frame stripping has taken some time. (He also had a quick carburetor job, and a life with his kids over the holiday)
But, some work got done.

Attachments

• 20240710_183601.jpg
    20240710_183601.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
With the Sacramento heat wave, a lawn sprinkler issue and a new puppy, Larry has had his hands full, but he managed to make some progress.
Carbs out for a thorough cleaning:
20240713_185239.jpg

And stripped the swing arm and triple tree:
20240714_210407.jpg

Today, a muffler is scheduled for delivery at my house, due to an error on my part (I usually have parts shipped directly to him)
I'll also be sending an unmolested handlebar cover, and a full set of fork bushings this week.

On Wednesday, he should be getting a pair of Tarozzi fork tubes from Fast from the Past.

Hit a moral dilemma.
I can get the mufflers rechromed for $720 + shipping, but they have some dings that may not come out.
I can get a pair of new Marving mufflers for about $500. The Marvings look similar, the main body shape is the same, but the exhaust ports look completely different.
The Marvings would match the look of a concours restoration, but they won't be original.
The restored mufflers would be original, but not look concours.

20240722_162227.jpg

Looks like my mufflers made the choice for me.
"Holy rusted metal, Batman."
"Huh?"
"it's all metal. It's full of holes. You know, holey.
"Oh."

Attachments

• 20240722_161307.jpg
    20240722_161307.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
And a bent front axle was discovered today. While disassembling the forks.
Thankfully, it's the same axle as a multitude of other Hondas.
20240808_175036.jpg

Making progress includes finding other unplanned items.

Go Larry!

Out with the nasty, New on the way.
When I said, bolt by bolt, I wasn't kidding.
Larry said that the studs could be reversed with the funky side going into the fork legs. Would it work fine? Probably.
But, I said to myself, "self, whatever impact caused the neck damage and bent the axle could have stressed the studs too." So, they get replaced.
Legs are also getting a polish.
20240810_164838.jpg20240810_160254.jpg20240810_164620.jpg

Shiny! Niceness!

Back