2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

We know what their intentions are.....only time will tell how their intentions work out and how the teams found work arounds to the rules.

As always, it won't all work out the way they imagine or intend, hopefully it does result in better racing, especially with Newey removed from the equation for RB.

I'm not sure that Max is going to look quite so brilliant in 2026 when he doesn't have a huge advantage that he currently has with aerodynamics.

P1 Podcast is already making the joke that we are going to get amazing racing in 2025 just because they are changing the rules in 2026. The real reason is because motorsports competition always closes up with sustained regs, and the cost-cap and dev-limits are probably helping a little bit. But that won't get in the way of a good joke.

The new regs dont seem to be a huge revolution in terms of how the cars create performance. They will still get most of their downforce from the floor, maybe even more so depending on how the reduced floor volume and reduced wing sizes work out. But I havent done aerodynamics in years and this is F1. And there are some huge unknowns in the PU, the active aero, the tire size change, and more. It's almost inevitable that someone will think of something that no one else did - like Newey with his focus on suspension - and will dominate for a little bit. We just want them to dominate far less than Max did.

I bet RB is feeling pretty good about the extension they just signed with Perez.... 🫣

Last edited:
By what logic did they not replace Perez with Saniz
Max and Carlos butt heads. Honestly, given the crap that Alpine is dealing with, it’s seems to be a completely valid concern. Plus with all the crap with Horner, Max’s father, and Helmut, they probably needed to do a little extra to keep Max in their car.

One of the best races so far this year....sees who won....

PtOaryJ.jpg

I love me a mixed conditions race!

George has gotta be the fastest bad racer ever. He’s still driving like it’s his first year in F1. So sloppy.

That's what happens when you're driving the car right up to 100% of it's potential on wet pavement..

Meanwhile, Newey's car has yet another win.

LeClerc - let’s turn it off and back on again?
Ferrari - oh y didn’t we think of that
LeClerc restarts the steering wheel / car
Ferrari - looks like that fixed it
Ferrari - nm, retire the car

He has been. I don't think that anybody would argue against Newey being the greatest race car designer that has ever lived.

It appears that Mercedes has decided on Hamilton's replacement...

I’m sure some would argue for Colin Chapman
Thanks for mentioning him, I got a chance to look him up. Certainly a very smart and talented car designer.

However, I don't think that he would have been on Newey's level if he was applying his craft these days, what he did took a genius but not on the scale of Newey's genius in today's very complex cars.

Newey is no doubt a brilliant designer however he tweaked cars within the rules to gain a slight edges over the competition. Slight is enough to win.
Chapman was responsible for major designs that totally changed how cars looked and were built. His influence is still seen in cars today.
Newey had 10 more years on Chapman to see his designs applied.
Had Chapman lived another decade there would have been other breakthroughs we never got to see.

Newey is no doubt a brilliant designer however he tweaked cars within the rules to gain a slight edges over the competition. Slight is enough to win.
Chapman was responsible for major designs that totally changed how cars looked and were built. His influence is still seen in cars today.
Newey had 10 more years on Chapman to see his designs applied.
Had Chapman lived another decade there would have been other breakthroughs we never got to see.
I fully agree that Chapman was a very creative and brilliant engineer.

In Newey's case, his grasp of aerodynamics is far beyond anybody else on the planet, the stories I've heard is that he doesn't really need wind tunnels and computer models, that he does almost everything in his head. It's not just slight edges, he's building cars that are beyond anything that any other person could build, which is why RB is so dominant right now.

I think that from a whole car design standpoint, Champman did more, but from an aerodynamic standpoint, there has never been somebody in Newey's class.

Who came up with all the recent innovations that have been mostly banned? Blown diffusers, DAS, flexible wings, etc.

I’m glad Antonelli is moving up. New is generally more exciting. And the more pressure there is push the slowest drivers out, the better.

Back