• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Not much of a fan but was in the neighborhood. For the warm up and first dozen laps the Red Sea clapped and cheered the Ferraris, glad they got to celebrate at the end. Surprised at all the homes within yards of the track. Misano was all about Senna’s 30th.
1716781223279.png

IMG_7487.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg
IMG_7494.jpeg

Hamilton not expecting to out-qualify Russell for rest of 2024 as he explains ‘frustrating’ Saturday struggles in Monaco

If you read between the lines, Hamilton believes that his car is slower (than Russell's in qualifying and will be for the rest of the season.

Most of you a poo pooing my speculation that Perez has an inferior car, claiming that teams wouldn't do that.

Obviously, Hamilton does believe it, is it so hard to believe that RB would also do it to avoid any clash between their favored driver and his teammate?

After the first track fireworks, which saved Sainz' bacon, it was booooooooooooring for sure.

No changes in the top ten.

Perez had nobody but himself to blame for starting close to the back and unfortunately getting caught up in the Haas clusterfuck.

Perez now drops to fifth in the driver standings which is not a good sign for his future with RB...especially as the Ferrari due are closing in on RB for the Constructors.

One of Ocon's biggest issues is that he's too tall to be an F1 driver.
Except he's won a race, finished 8th in the standings once, and has been an F1 driver since 2016. Apparently his height has not prevented him from being an F1 driver.
It's his inability to play nice with teammates, past and present, that may prevent him from continuing to be an F1 driver.

He's the same height as George Russell; 6'1". I'm gonna go with "maybe it's the car".
According to what I found, George Russell is 1.85cm or 6'0".
Alex Albon is the same height as Ocon at 1.86cm or 6'1".

They do seem to have gotten taller in the last few years, I remember when they made a big deal about Ocon's height, that was awhile ago, possibly 6-7 years.

Well, Perez signed for 2 more years....
Who saw that coming?

I guess that he makes sense for them now that he has stopped talking out of school and has accepted his 2nd driver status and will not give Max any problems....

Perez needs to work on his consistency.

And it's probably really rough being on the same team as the fastest driver in F1. Hard work only gets you so far, eventually people hit the upper limit of their natural skill set. He's hit it, hard.

Verstappen is so good they'll be talking about him for decades. Perez is just another guy who races in F1. Redbull has a good car for now and Perez should be able to reliability place it in the top 6-ish based on current competition.

If Perez was truly team leader quality (in pace and reliability), everyone in the paddock would know it and he would have been picked up by another top team like Mercedes.

But he never could challenge Verstappen. Not because there was some exterior force working against him, he's just not good enough.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Sainz announcement. It would be cool to see him at Audi, but that would mean a year of no podiums, and a struggle to even get points.

The 2026 reg updates are near finalized now.

The new cars are supposed to be much lower drag, in part due to an active aero system on both wings. This aero drag-reduction will be activated on most straights at defined zones. This is not DRS and has nothing to do with passing or following other cars. All cars will activate in the zones. This is being added to get around the clipping problem that was expected with needing to charge larger batteries. If the car is lower drag, they won’t need as much power to accel for the whole straight and won’t slow before the braking zone as they charge the battery. This is also being added to reduce fuel consumption, to make the cars more green.

In order to still have passing without DRS, the drivers will get a limited version of push-to-pass. Under normal conditions, the electric power will trail off at a certain car speed - around 300kph (I expect this will change per track). When following close enough to another car, the driver can stop the power from trailing off until 340kph - essentially they get a power boost at top speed.

And the final way the FIA hopes to improve passing is by once again addressing the dirty air problem. They have learned a lot with the current regs, including how the teams have made dirty air far worse than expected. Apparently there were talks about re-addressing dirty air for 2024 and 2025 with small measures, but they decided to hold off until the new 2026 regs.

I like the active aero, mostly from the "technical bits" and "fast cars" side. But I'm worried about how a field of low-drag cars will race. Low-drag suggests the slipstream will be less beneficial, which may further reduce natural passing.

I dislike the limitations on push-to-pass. Passing will continue to be prescriptive, maybe more so than the worst DRS zones, maybe not. I hope this is just the first step to doing a near unlimited push-to-pass.

Back