• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Too bad we'll be stuck with Stroll into the future.

I'm still mystified why Crashinaldo was kept around for so looooonnnnggg.

McLaren now within shouting distance of "hapless at Canada" Ferrari for second in the constructors.

Perez, in the best car, now fifth in the driver standings.

Interesting race overall; Verstappen certainly looked unlikely to win at points in the race but won anyway.

Impressive.

‘How could we be so dumb?!’ – Allison on the Mercedes revelation that means they can now ‘be as fast as anybody’
Mercedes’ first pole position in over a year at the 2024 Canadian Grand Prix signalled a massive turnaround in fortunes for the Silver Arrows – with the team’s Technical Director James Allison admitting that both he and the team should have seen the solutions to their problems earlier.

After claiming eight straight constructors’ titles from 2014 to 2021, Mercedes have struggled in Formula 1’s new ground effect era rules that came into force in 2022, the team having claimed just one Grand Prix victory in that time.

Light, however, appeared to have shone through in Montreal as George Russell – using an upgraded front wing the team brought to Monaco – claimed pole position, before racing to P3 in the Grand Prix.

Speaking on F1’s Beyond The Grid podcast, Allison was asked whether the updates to the car had been the result of a “eureka” moment that had allowed Mercedes to suddenly find performance with the previously truculent W15.
This seems to be bearing out as Hamilton was fastest in FP2.

Interesting race; Mercedes over performed but the choice for hards for Russell was made stranger when they, rightly it turned out, put softs on Hamilton's car later.

Lando now second in Driver standings, Perez fifth!

I thought that Russell handed the lead over to Max when he cut to the inside, didn't look like a smart move.

Max whining about Norris move that he himself has done dozens of times.

Some interesting moves by Mercedes with tire changes, I'm sure Russell is questioning the choices.

Merc had podiums in Canada, Spain, and UK last year. I'm not yet sold on them turning a corner or even over-performing.

Merc had podiums in Canada, Spain, and UK last year. I'm not yet sold on them turning a corner or even over-performing.
Well, Mercedes did get the second most team points in the last race behind RB.

Obviously RB is first in the team standings while Mercedes are fourth.

Same thing in the prior race where they tied for second most points with McLaren.

We'll see if that continues, but unlikely in Austria as Mercedes finished 7th and 8th there last year so not a great track for them.

McLaren brought another upgrade that just worked out of the box. They are seemingly the only team that can do that this year. Everyone else is taking 1-2 rounds to find good setups for new parts.

Interesting Sprint race but the results were as predicted as was qualifying for the mian.

Boring race up until the old Verstappen raised his ugly head, he's always been there but with the vastly superior car he hasn't had to resort to those tactics in awhile.

Norris got screwed and Verstappen got a very, very light slap on the wrist. The 10 second penalty was absolutely meaningless.

It did make for an interesting ending to the race, however.

Anybody else notice how busy the Stewards were kept throughout the race?

Peak level of self-awareness, Max. Good show.

Right back to the standard Max when not driving a dominant race car. Remember 2021? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Not a great look for Perez. Team mate has a collision, extra pit stop, and a10 second penalty.

And he still comes in as the slower driver.

Oof.

Max takes out Norris and gains in the championship as a result.

Nice.

Not a great look for Perez. Team mate has a collision, extra pit stop, and a10 second penalty.

And he still comes in as the slower driver.

Oof.

I think Checo is the yardstick for RB’s performance. RB seems to be losing the development race. Without Max, I think they’d be the 3rd fastest car.

It seems like even Sargent is closer to his teammate than Checo :LOL:

Anyone else surprised HAAS made top 10 and Williams dropped back down the rankings?
A little for HAAS. The car was always fast, but shredded tires. I'm surprised at how well they turned that issue around starting with at the pre-season test. Them making it into the top 10 is also aided by Aston chocking so bad, which would be surprising if they didn't also do this last year. And by Alpine's terrible start. I think the constructors battle between Alpine and HAAS is going to get spicy.

Williams, I'm not surprised given their start of the year. Their spreadsheet and the destroyed cars wrote off their whole season. Thnx cost-cap.

I think Checo is the yardstick for RB’s performance. RB seems to be losing the development race. Without Max, I think they’d be the 3rd fastest car.

It seems like even Sargent is closer to his teammate than Checo :LOL:
Agreed. Max is really phenomenal at getting top performance out of a car. Red Bull is probably really worried about maintaining an edge when their aero guy leaves. Max can only do so much without good equipment.

Back