2024 Investment Thread

Ahhhh. Another move to increase the death tax.

:laughing

No doubt.

Currently at a generous $13.61 million exempt.

Double that if married.

I don't think my daughter has to worry...unless they cut it by one HECK of a lot.

I don't think my daughter has to worry...unless they cut it by one HECK of a lot.

Not at the current exclusion, but that was the point of my comment: moving the bracket downwards. On income that's already been taxed in the year it was earned.

Not at the current exclusion, but that was the point of my comment: moving the bracket downwards. On income that's already been taxed in the year it was earned.

Does it not become income to the individual who inherits it?

It should be

So, in essence, you are for a 37 percent inheritance tax for inheritance over around $500,000. On money already taxed at a 20 percent rate or so. Effectively 50 percent tax combined on that money.

Just seems wrong to be honest.

Mind you I never got 1/10th that when my parents passed away which was just fine by me.

Last edited:
Taxing money thats already been taxed is nuts. Just as nuts is being taxed on used vehicles every time they change owners.
Who’s up for a tea party?

Taxing money thats already been taxed is nuts. Just as nuts is being taxed on used vehicles every time they change owners.

Giving half a person's inheritance to the government seems to have some fans.

:dunno

I just don't see why anyone shouldn't pay tax on money they got because someone died.

+1000. Although, there should be a modicum of sales tax on used sales so as to not impact new sales volumes.

Giving half a person's inheritance to the government seems to have some fans.

While I don't believe in the idea of taxing an asset once one owns it, I can see some logic in using the funds from inheritance taxes to be earmarked to pay down the national debt. However, that would need a constitutional ammendment prohibiting deficit spending, averaged over a multi-year period.

Net worth in various countries to be a "one percenter."

Monaco: $12.88 million

Luxembourg: $10.83 million

Switzerland: $8.51 million

U.S.: $5.81 million

Singapore: $5.23 million

Sweden: $4.76 million

Australia: $4.67 million

New Zealand: $4.57 million

Ireland: $4.32 million

Germany: $3.43 million

France: $3.27 million

Hong Kong: $3.09 million

UK: $3.07 million

Italy: $2.55 million

Spain: $2.47 million

Japan: $1.97 million

China: $1.07 million

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...&cvid=4e23575c545b45b5ab07d88645f4651e&ei=121

No doubt we have some one percenters in US terms here on the BARF.

No doubt. However, I'm not sure what to make of the comparison. A relative GDP scale of each would help with context.

Not feeling bad at all about picking up nvda two weeks ago.
Would be feeling much better had I got in when I intended two months ago.

No doubt. However, I'm not sure what to make of the comparison. A relative GDP scale of each would help with context.

For sure. $2 million in coastal Spain will go a lot further than $2 million in Switzerland, where prices are, basically, insane.

Back