• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

California Moto Roads - All Of Them

flying_hun

Adverse Selection
Moto(s)
A funky red & white Italian named Gianni Cervo! Versys - two of 'em! And an Enfield for laughs.
BARF perks
AMA #: 281672
New project! Last week I put up a ride report on the visit of a couple of European buddies who came to California to ride. At the end of our ten days and almost 3K miles of riding, I told them that they had probably only ridden about 10% of the great roads California has to offer. Having made that claim, I began to wonder about all the roads that might be on the list and how many of them I have ridden, or am even aware of, and that led me to the BARF hive mind. :teeth

After engaging with Budman and some of the mods, we decided to solicit suggestions for the list from the vast knowledge that is BARF. You may recall some years back we had a thread about what road in California is the best. This will be a little different. We're not looking to rank them, or describe them, we're only looking to catalog them. We want to capture all/as many as possible roads in California that are fun to ride on a motorcycle. That doesn't mean there are no rules, but the rules are simple.

• If you like riding a road, or even if you haven't ridden it, but you want to, put it on the list.
  • If the road is a numbered state or federal highway, include the place names that bound that portion of the highway that is great for motos (e.g., Hwy 128 from Winters to Mendocino)
  • Please add a link to a Google Map showing the road you're nominating (I'll put in some examples below). That will make it easier for us to catalog it, and for others to ride it.
  • You don't have to describe it, or even what you like about it, but if you do, people are likely to find that information useful.
  • As you nominate roads, we'll add them to the list in the first post, similar to that thread on destination restaurants.

Bud and the mod corps have a bunch of ideas about how we may use this information to plan rallies, group rides, individual recognition, etc. For now, please nominate some roads. They don't have to be long. They don't have to be paved. They only need to be fun to ride on a motorcycle. How many are there in California? From Mexico to Oregon, from the Pacific to Nevada or Arizona, what roads are worth riding? Go ahead and include roads that may currently be closed, but if you know that it's closed, please let us know.

A submission can be simple, just like what is posted immediately below, as follows:
Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Hydesville. Google Map.
We're trying to make it as simple as practicable for everyone to contribute.

Hey friends, thanks for your participation! I have a couple of requests that will make it easier to compile the list.

• If you want to post a loop, post a map for each of the component roads, to the extent that doing so is possible. In some places, you have no choice but to connect road A to road B because there is no practical alternative (e.g., Sierra to Felter). Otherwise, listing the component roads makes it easier for users to build their own routes out of those component roads.
  • Don't bother associating your roads with specific rallies or destination restaurants YET. We'll do that when we have a more complete list and can see all the choices.
  • If you want to wax eloquent about a road, go for it, but please lead with the road name, beginning and ending points, and Google Maps link up front so that I don't need to do a bunch of editing to get your road into the first post list.

South Bay
San Jose Soquel Google Map
HWY 130 ~ Grab the bars and turn the mother out. CA 130, Mt Hamilton Rd to The Junction. Google Map.

East Bay
Upper Happy Valley Road (Orinda). Google Map.
Bear Creek Road (Orinda to Briones). Google Map
Pinehurst (Skyline Oakland to Redwood Road). Google Map.

North Bay
Geysers Road (Jimtown to Cloverdale, some unpaved). Google Map.
Mountain House Road (101 to 128). Google Map.
Highway 175 Hopland Grade (Hwy 29 to Hwy 101). Google Map.
Flynn Creek Road (Hwy 128 to Comptche). Google Map
Old Toll Road (Hopland Grade to Finley/Clear Lake, unpaved). Google Map
Low Gap Road (Ukiah to Comptche-Ukiah Road, unpaved). Google Map
Old Lawley Toll Rd Google map link
Cavedale Rd. Google map link
Mt Veeder Rd. Google map link
Ida Clayton Rd/Western Mine Rd. between CA128 Sonoma County and CA29 Lake County Google map link
Hwy 253, from Hwy 101 to Hwy 128. Google map.

Chalk Hill Road, Hwy 128 to Hwy 101. Google map.
Annapolis Rd, Hwy1 to Skaggs Springs Rd. Google map.
Suisun Valley/Wooden Valley Road, Cordelia to Hwy 121, paved. Google Map.
Monticello Road, Trancas Street Historic Bribge to Hey 128, paved. Google Map.
Capell Valley Road, Moscowite Corner to Turtle Rock, paved. Google Map.

Redwood Empire - north of Hwy 20
Wildwood Road from Highway 36 to Highway 3. Google Map.
Branscomb Road from Highway 101 to Highway 1. Google Map
Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Hydesville. Google Map.
Weaverville—Hwy 3 to Etna to Sawyers Bar Rd to Forks of Salmon to Cecilville Road, to Callahan and back. Google Maps.
Forest Road 1, Mad River/Hwy 36 to Berry Summit/Hwy 299: Google Map
Eddy Gulch Road, Sawyers Bar to Cecilville, unpaved. Google Map
Blue Ridge Watch Tower, Sawyers Bar to Blue Ridge, unpaved. Google Map.
Eddy Gulch Lookout Road, Lafayette Point/Eddy Gulch Rd to the watch tower, unpaved. Google Map.
Huffmaster Road, Leesville Road to Sites, unpaved.Google Map.
Rail Canyon Road, Sites-Ladoga Rd to County Rte 303/Clark Valley Rd, mixed.Google Map.
Alderpoint Road, Garberville/Hwy 101 to Bridgeville/Hwy 36. Google Map.
Bell springs Road, Alderpoint Rd to Hwy 101. Google Map.
Peak Road, Alderpoint to Kettenpom. Google Map.
Zenia Lake Mountain Road, Zenia to Kettenpom. Google Map.
Zenia Bluff Road, Alderpoint to Zenia. Google Map.
Ruth-Zenia Road (County Rte 502). Google Map.
Hwy 96, Willow Creek/Hwy 299 to I-5. Google Map.
Van Duzen Road, Hwy 36 to Ruth-Zenia Road. Google Map.
Salmon River Road, Forks of Salmon to Hwy 96. Google Maps.
Mina Road, Covelo to Kettenpom, unpaved. Google Map.
Forest Highway 7/Mendocino Pass, Elk Creek to Covelo, unpaved. Google Map.
Anthony Peak Watch Tower from Mendo Pass/FH7, unpaved. Google Maps.
Forks of Salmon, North Fork, Forks to Etna. https://goo.gl/maps/HKGoKFYkiEAM97H3A
Forks of Salmon, South Fork, Forks to Callahan. https://goo.gl/maps/ng7eMYUKGDn4CnR8A
Happy Camp to Cave Junction via Greyback rd. https://goo.gl/maps/kkUeLb6Fat6jMVXT9
Hiway 1 North Coast: Leggett to Rockport https://goo.gl/maps/CbjrPUE2Q2wqUtwX6
Elk Mountain Road, Upper Lake to the Soda Creek Store, mixed/paved and dirt. Google Map.
Elk Mountain Road/Eel River Road, Soda Creek Store to Potter Valley, mixed/dirt and paved. Google Map.
Forest Route M1, Soda Creek Store to Mendocino Pass Road/Hwy 162, unpaved. Google Map.
Bartlett Springs Road, Lucern/Hwy 20 to Walker Ridge Road, unpaved. Google Map.
Walker Ridge Road, Hwy 20 to Bartlett Springs Road, unpaved. Google Map.
Bear Valley Road, Hwy 20/Hwy 16 to Leesville, unpaved. Google Map.
Platina Road, Hwy 36/Platina to Igo. Google Map.
East County Line Road, Hwy 299/Buckhorn Summit to Bully Choop Mountain Watch Tower, unpaved. Google Map.
Bully Choop Road, Platina Road/A16 to Dripping Spring, unpaved. Google Map
Stewart Springs Road/FR 42N17, Old Hwy 99 to Hwy 3. Google Map.
Gazelle Callahan Road, Old Hwy 99/Gazelle to Callahan/Hwy 3. Google Map.
Coffee Creek Road, Coffee Creek/Hwy 3 to Big Flat Campground, unpaved. Google Map.
Trinity Mountain Road/East Side Road (FR 106), Hwy 299/French Gulch to Hwy 3. Google Map.
Westside Road, Chappie-Shasta OHV area to Trinity Mountain/Eastside Road (FR 106), unpaved. Google Map
Trinity Dam Blvd, Hwy 299/Lewiston to Hwy 3. Google Map.
Ft Bragg-Sherwood Road, Willits/Hwy 101 to Ft Bragg/Hwy 1, unpaved. Google Map.
Tomki Road, East/West Road to Canyon Rd/Willits, unpaved, water crossings. Google Map.
Forest Route M3, from M10/Three Crossings to FH 7/Alder Springs, unpaved. Google Map.
Black Diamond Road, County Route 306/Stonyford to M3/Low Gap, unpaved, water crossing. Google Map.
Saint John Mountain Radio Tower Road (FR 18N06), Grey Pines Group Campground to Saint John Mountain, unpaved, high clearance 4x4 and ledgy for the last 1/4 mile—Google Maps thinks it’s a bad idea. Google Map
Plummer Lookout Road, Peanut/Hwy 3 to Plummer Peak, unpaved. Google Map.
Tule Creek Road/Limedyke Lookout Road, Hayfork to Limedyke Mountain, unpaved. Google Map.
Big Creek Rd/Hayfork Bally, Hayfork to FR 16 to the watchtower, mixed. Google Map.
Old Hwy 36/Rattlesnake/Lower Rattlesnake Road, Peanut/Hwy 3 to Hwy 36, mixed. Google Map.
Harrison Gulch/Deer Lick Knob/Deerlick Springs Road, Hwy 36 to Hwy 3, unpaved. Google Map.
Hyampom Road, Hayfork to Hyampom. Google Map.

Central Coast - south of Hwy 198
Hwy 229 (Hwy 41 to Hwy 58). Google Map
Hwy 58 (Hwy 33 to Hwy 101). Google map.
Tepusquet Road (Hwy 166 to Foxen Canyon). Google map
Foxen Canyon (Sisquoc to Los Olivos). Google map
Alisos Canyon (Foxen Canyon to Hwy 101). Google map
G14, King City to Paso Robles. Google map
Cypress Mountain Drive, Klau Mine Rd to Santa Rosa Creek Rd, unpaved. Google Map.
Santa Rosa Creek Road, Cambria/Hwy 1 to Green Valley Rd/Hwy 46. Google Map.
Old Creek Road, Cayucos/Hwy 1 to Green Valley Rd/Hwy 46. Google Map.
Coalinga-Los Gatos Creek Road, Hwy 25 to South Derrick Rd, paved. Google Map.
Preachtree/Indian Valley Road, Hwy 198/25 to San Miguel. Google Map.
Parkfield Grade/Parkfield-Coalinga Road, Parkfield Junction/Hwy 198 to Parkfield. Google Map.

Southern Sierra - South of Hwy 198
Sherman Pass, Johnsondale Bridge to Pearsonville gas station. Google Map
Hwy 168, Big Pine to Oasis. Google Map.
White Mountain Road, Cedar Flat to Locked Gate, unpaved. Google Map.
Silver Canyon Road, Laws Railroad Museum to Wyman Creek Road, unpaved. Google Map.
Wyman Creek Road, Silver Creek Road to Hwy 168, unpaved. Google Map.
Eureka Valley Road, Hwy 168 to Death Valley Road, unpaved/sand. Google Map.
Steele Pass Road, Death Valley Road to Saline Valley Warm Springs, unpaved, deep sand, high-clearance 4x4. Google Map
Casa Diablo Road, Benton Crossing Road to Laws, unpaved. Google Map
Comanche Point Road, Arvin/Hwy 223/Herron Rd. to Stallion Springs/Hwy 202/Tehachapi, unpaved. Google Map.
Titus Canyon Road, Nevada to Scotty’s Castle Road, unpaved. Google Map.

Central Sierra - between Hwy 198 and Hwy 20
Buckeye Road, Red Dog Rd to Chalk Bluff Rd, unpaved, water crossing. Google Map.
Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown to the end. Google Map.
Ice House Road, Hwy 50 to Loon Lake. Google Map.
11 Pines Road, Wentworth Springs Rd to French Meadows Road. Google Map.
French Meadows Road, Rubicon/Ramsey Crossing Road to French Meadows Reservoir. Google Map.
Mosquito Ridge Road, Forest Hill Post Office to French Meadows Reservoir. Google Map.
Wards Ferry Road, Hwy 120/Big Oak Flat to Tuolumne Rd (Co Rd 17). Google Map.
Cherry Lake Road, Hwy 120 to Cherry Lake. Google Map.
Cottonwood Road, Cherry Lake to River Ranch campground. Google Map.
Dog Bar Road, Placer Hills Road to La Barr Meadows. Google Map.
Placer Hills Road/Tokayana Way, I-80/Clipper Gap to Coalfax. Google Map.
CA Hwy 174/Coalfax Highway, Calfax to Grass Valley. Google Map.
Brunswick Road, Cedar Crest/Hwy 174 to Glenbrook/Hwy 20/49. Google Map.
Silver Creek Road, Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center to Hwy 108/Sonora Pass, unpaved. Google Map.
Burcham Flat Road, Hwy 395/Fales Hot Springs to Hwy 395/Walker, unpaved. Google Map.
Buckeye Road, Hwy 395 to Twin Lakes Road, unpaved. Google Map.
Old Stage Road, NV border/Hwy 338/Hwy 182 to Belfort to Mt Patterson, unpaved high-clearance, oh sh*t 4x4. 5636' elevation gain in 10.2 miles, or average 10% grade. Map Link.
Italian Bar Road, Columbia to Jupiter, mixed. Google Map.
Guasanillo Way - Granite Springs Rd - Blanchard Rd - Marshes Flat Rd., Hwy 132 to Hwy 49, Paved. Google Map
Old Toll Rd, Hwy 49 to Hornitos Road. Paved. Google Map
Hornitos Rd. Old Toll Rd to Merced Falls Rd. Paved. Google Map
Merced Falls Rd. Hornitos Rd to Hwy 132. Paved. Google Map
La Grange Road/J59, Snelling to Hwy 120/108, paved. Google Map.

Northern Sierra - north of Hwy 20
Highway 49 (Nevada City to Hwy 89). Google Map
Mills Peak Road, Church Meadow Rd to Mills Peak Station, unpaved. Google Map.
Gold Lake Highway, Bassett’s Station to Hwy 89/Graeagle. Google Map.
CA Hwy 49, Grass Valley to Vinson/Hwy 89. Google Map.
Ridge Road, Hwy 49 to Mountain House Road. Google Map.
Mountain House Road, Ridge Road to Goodyear’s Bar/Hwy 49, mixed, dirt/paved. Google Map.
North Bloomfield Road, Lake City to Blue Tent. Google Map.
Foote’s Crossing Road, Hwy 49/Birchfield Rd to Alleghany. mixed/gnarly 4x4 dirt. Google Map.
Surprise Valley Road, Nevada border/Hwy 447 to Oregon border, paved. Google Map.
Blue Lake Road, Menlo Baths/Co Rte 1/FR 42 to Likely/Hwy 395, unpaved. Google Map.
Butcher Ranch Road, Sierra City to Gold Lake Campground, unpaved. Google Map.

LA Region
Angeles Crest Hwy 2, La Cañada Flintridge to Wrightwood. Google Maps
Mulholland Hwy, Hwy 1 to Hwy 27/Topanga Cnyn Road. Google Maps.
Highway 33/Maricopa Hwy, Ojai to Lockwood Valley Road. Google Maps
Azusa Canyon/Glendora Mtn Road, Azusa/Hwy 39 to E Fork Road to Glendora Mtn Road/Glendora. (I have not ridden this in some time.) Google Maps
Banning-Idyllwild Panoramic Hwy, I-10 to Hwy 74. Google Map.
County Route N2 (Pine Canyon Road), Hwy 138 to Palmdale/Hwy 14. Google Map.
Comanche Point Road, Arvin/Hwy 223/Herron Rd. to Stallion Springs/Hwy 202/Tehachapi, dirt. Google Map.

SD Region
Palomar Mountain, Nate Harrison Grade/Hwy 76 to S Grade Road/Hwy 76. Google Maps
Julian, Ramona/Hwy 78 to Julian, a popular "destination" ride. Google Maps.
Highway 74, San Juan Capistrano to Lake Elsinore. Google Maps
Sunrise Highway/S1, Hwy 79 to Hwy 94. Google Map.
Mesa Grande Road, Hwy 76 to Hwy 79. Google Map.
CA Hwy 94-Campo Road, Jamacha Junction/Hwy 58 to Manzanita/I-8. Google Map.
County Route S22, Thermal/Hwy 86 to San Felipe Road. Google Map.
County Route S3-Yaqui Pass Road, Borrego Springs to Hwy 78. Google Map.
Banner-Grade/CA Hwy 78, Hwy 86 to Julian. Google Map.

Waddaya got? Post them up, we'll add them to the list. There are so many great roads, I expect the list will get huge! We plan to organize them regionally as the list grows. That will make it easier to plan trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks hun. :thumbup

Look forward to adding a few, finding new ones to ride and having fun with pals along the way. :ride

Upper Happy Valley Road (Orinda). Google Map.
Bear Creek Road (Orinda to Briones). Google Map
Pinehurst (Skyline Oakland to Redwood Road). Google Map.
Geysers Road (Jimtown to Cloverdale, some unpaved). Google Map.

Whaddaya got?

Mountain House Road (101 to 128). Google Map.
Highway 175 Hopland Grade (Hwy 29 to Hwy 101). Google Map.
Flynn Creek Road (Hwy 128 to Comptche). Google Map

Mount Hamilton Road/ Highway 130, obviously.
I have to figure out the Goooge map thing…

Check out Butler Maps of California has plenty of roads to ride and dual sport roads as well.

Tim Mayhew, owner of Pashnit tours and former owner/moderator of the Pashnit Forum has spent a LOT of time putting together a comprehensive list of CA Moto roads.

Although the Pashnit Moto Forum ended years ago (loosing many long and photo rich posts of rides I have done), his list of road rides lives on. Including some great maps of these rides. And a few pictures.

PASHNIT Tours

Pashnit CA Roads list!

This will be a little different. We're not looking to rank them, or describe them, we're only looking to catalog them.
How can you catalog the roads without describing them? :x

I made a post here a few years back listing just about all of the roads that I know on the western side of the Sierras. I'll have to track that one down.

There's a ton of roads up here. I don't know how to link to Google but here's some basics

Wilson Hill Rd from Shingletown to Manton
Wildcat and Ash Creek Rd from Black Butte Rd in Shingletown to Anderson
Buzzards Roost Rd from Whitmore to Hwy 299
Hwy 299 either direction out of Redding

I'm still learning the roads up here.

Mad

We live in motorcycle nervana!

edit: OK, fixing loop with single road maps:

Hwy 3, Post Mountain CA to Yreka, CA. Google Map.

Sawyers Bar Road, Etna to Forks of Salmon. Google Map.

Cecilville Road, Forks of Salmon to Callahan. Google Map.

weaverville.jpg

Weaverville—Hwy 3 to Etna to Sawyers Bar Rd to Forks of Salmon to Cecilville Road, to Callahan and back. Google Maps.

rally: BARF HoHo Weaverville Rally, July 28-30, 2023.
food: probably. Etna Brewing? idk.

Last edited:
Creston to Taft on 229 to 58 to 33.
229 MAP

58 MAP

Well the 33 part is not exciting but the first part is really fun.

Enjoy lunch at the Loading Chute and then roll! :ride
FULL Map

229 ~ Rossi's driveway.
A snaking road of questionable traction in spots, but a lot of fun. Undivided, watch for bicycles and cars/trucks coming the other way.

HWY 58 ~ A bit of everything.

HWY 58 abides when it comes to sports touring. Flowing and somewhat twisty country road gets a bit more remote and then faster and flowing awesome fun. Then some really country giddyup if you want to do that. Lightly travelled and great sight lines means you can see if your bike can top 65mph. :gsxrgrl

Towards the southern end large straight hills engage your fear of the other side, but can be rolled at a very fun pace easily as they are basically dead nuts straight. Three digits will bring air below your tires so be careful not to be too brave.

Then at the intersection of 7 mile road 58 tightens and runs along a ledge of sorts as it climbs back into some hills. Some knarly decreasing radius turns invite mistakes quickly, but also provides some very sporty fun. I have run across a bull in the road, unfortunatly I hit a rock and got a flat so don't assume it is a knee dragging flyer. Pavement is good and the smiles only affected by the pace.

Attachments

• Map Creston to Taft.jpg
    Map Creston to Taft.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Map Loading Chute - Creston  229 to 58.jpg
    Map Loading Chute - Creston 229 to 58.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Map 229 to 33.jpg
    Map 229 to 33.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The Dirty 130 delivers the goods

Mount Hamilton Road/ Highway 130, obviously.
I have to figure out the Goooge map thing…

I gotcha... my fav ride with Butch for sure.

He is like the Native American HWY 130 Chieftan. :laughing

Maps would not let me keep running down Mines formal, but that is included once in a while doing a big loop through Livermore and along the resevoir.

MAP

HWY 130 ~ Grab the bars and turn the mother out.
This is a riders road and just going to the Junction brings a couple different feels.

The West side up to the Observatory has mostly decent pavement now and thanks to the fires the sight lines are the best they have ever been, but there are plenty of spots where the lack of shrubbery means nothing.

It is narrow, it has debris here and there, it has blind tight ass turns, it has bicycles, some tourists, some locals, but typically not a ton of traffic and once out of SJ proper very few driveways. I always like a road where interestecting roads are mimimal and the Dirty 130 delivers there.

Some would say it is more of a Supermoto road. Tight, snaking, challenging yeah.. Done that and it is awesome, but it is good on a sport bike or sport touring bike too. When Butch dons his Yamaha leathers and climbs on his Anniversary R6 it is like following Kenny Roberts up the hill. :teeth

The road works you and that is what I love about it. All the body parts engaged and the mind fully in the game and the foot often out to navigate the 9 zillion turns to get to the Observatory where you can spend a few minutes looking over the So Bay's beauty.

The Backside
Once over the top the pavement changes to much chippier. If you ride it hard you are using up some rubber. I have seen some threads show up from out of the blue because of the ride back from the Junction to the Observatory because that direction is uphill and invites you to be a little hamfisted and the pavement is rough.

So when I want to have a blast of the good stuff..
I simply say Butch Please..! Let's Ride Hammie. :ride

Attachments

• Map HWY 130 to the junction.jpg
    Map HWY 130 to the junction.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Butch please.jpg
    Butch please.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
Check out Butler Maps of California has plenty of roads to ride and dual sport roads as well.

Yeah, I'm aware of Butler Maps, Pashnit, Great Motorcycle Roads, etc., ad nauseum. This is a little different. Just a simple listing of roads and maps that will be grouped regionally for use by BARFers and for BARF events.

Tim Mayhew, owner of Pashnit tours and former owner/moderator of the Pashnit Forum has spent a LOT of time putting together a comprehensive list of CA Moto roads.

Although the Pashnit Moto Forum ended years ago (loosing many long and photo rich posts of rides I have done), his list of road rides lives on. Including some great maps of these rides. And a few pictures.

PASHNIT Tours

Pashnit CA Roads list!

We're aware. I was a member of Pashnit before I was a BARFer. The idea is to have a single resource listing roads and showing where they are that is available in BARF, that we can associate with the rallies, that can be associated with the destination restaurants, and so on. Tim created a great resource, but we're aiming at something a bit different.

How can you catalog the roads without describing them? :x

I made a post here a few years back listing just about all of the roads that I know on the western side of the Sierras. I'll have to track that one down.

The map link is the description. We don't need a paragraph on the back of each color glossy photograph with circles and arrows showing....

The goal is a simple list.

Last edited:
Hwy162 from Orville to Quincy. None finer.

Thanks. Please add a link to a Google Map. All you have to do is map it in Google, then on the upper left hand corner of the Google page, open the pulldown menu (three horizontal bars, looks vaguely like a hamburger) and select "share or embed map", copy the link, use the add link icon on vBulletin, paste in the link, post.

Back