California Moto Roads - All Of Them

There's a ton of roads up here. I don't know how to link to Google but here's some basics

Wilson Hill Rd from Shingletown to Manton
Wildcat and Ash Creek Rd from Black Butte Rd in Shingletown to Anderson
Buzzards Roost Rd from Whitmore to Hwy 299
Hwy 299 either direction out of Redding

I'm still learning the roads up here.

Mad

See below. When the poster maps and links it, it assures that what we have is what you meant. For instance, I suspect that the Wilson Hill and Shingletown listed in your post are not the first ones that come to mind when I read those place names. To me, Wilson Hill is that road that connects with both Hicks Valley and Marshall-Petaluma, and Shingletown is up in the foothills above Jackson. That's probably not what you mean.

Thanks. Please add a link to a Google Map. All you have to do is map it in Google, then on the upper left hand corner of the Google page, open the pulldown menu (three horizontal bars, looks vaguely like a hamburger) and select "share or embed map", copy the link, use the add link icon on vBulletin, paste in the link, post.

Hey friends, thanks for your participation! I have a couple of requests that will make it easier to compile the list.

• If you want to post a loop, post a map for each of the component roads, to the extent that doing so is possible. In some places, you have no choice but to connect road A to road B because there is no practical alternative (e.g., Sierra to Felter). Otherwise, listing the component roads makes it easier for users to build their own routes out of those component roads.
  • Don't bother associating your roads with specific rallies or destination restaurants YET. We'll do that when we have a more complete list and can see all the choices.
  • If you want to wax eloquent about a road, go for it, but please lead with the road name, beginning and ending points, and Google Maps link up front so that I don't need to do a bunch of editing to get your road into the first post list.

The map link is the description. We don't need a paragraph on the back of each color glossy photograph with circles and arrows showing....

The goal is a simple list.
So if I add Highway 99 through the Central Valley, and Highway 49 along the Sierra foothills, similar distance and parallel to each other, how will you be able to tell which one is good for motorcycles and which one is awful for bikes?

How do we convey that Highway 49 between Auburn and Grass Valley is the only truly awful section of that road and suggest good alternate routes?

I still think that there should be short descriptions for each section of road. :x

So if I add Highway 99 through the Central Valley, and Highway 49 along the Sierra foothills, similar distance and parallel to each other, how will you be able to tell which one is good for motorcycles and which one is awful for bikes?

How do we convey that Highway 49 between Auburn and Grass Valley is the only truly awful section of that road and suggest good alternate routes?

I still think that there should be short descriptions for each section of road. :x

The request - and maybe I need to revisit the first post for clarity - is to collect a list of roads that are actually interesting to ride on a motorcycle. Does anyone seriously think that Highway 99 is an interesting motorcycle road?

There is nothing stopping you from bounding a long road with end points, just as suggested in the OP. For instance, I didn't list all of Highway 175, just the Hopland Grade portion. Here's another example:

Highway 49 (Nevada City to Hwy 89). Google Map

If you want to write a long, eloquent description just as Budman has, knock yourself out, but I will not be copying it into the master list. Honest to God, we're trying to make this easy, not hard.

Last edited:
Adjusted my 229/58 post to include each map. ;)

Even though you had them. :teeth

Tepusquet Road (Hwy 166 to Foxen Canyon). Google map
Foxen Canyon (Sisquoc to Los Olivos). Google map
Alisos Canyon (Foxen Canyon to Hwy 101). Google map

Thanks. Please add a link to a Google Map. All you have to do is map it in Google, then on the upper left hand corner of the Google page, open the pulldown menu (three horizontal bars, looks vaguely like a hamburger) and select "share or embed map", copy the link, use the add link icon on vBulletin, paste in the link, post.

Testing to see if this works.

There are so many roads in the SC mountains and on the peninsula west of 280, so to me it's about how to link them together for a nice loop.

South Bay

Almaden - Alamitos - Hicks - Mt Umunhum (to the radar tower on the top, reverse; a dead end but well worth it) - Hicks - Shannon - Kennedy - LosGatos - Shannon - Hicks - Camden. Google Map

Last edited:
Testing to see if this works.

There are so many roads in the SC mountains and on the peninsula west of 280, so to me it's about how to link them together for a nice loop.

South Bay

Almaden - Alamitos - Hicks - Mt Umunhum (to the radar tower on the top, reverse; a dead end but well worth it) - Hicks - Shannon - Kennedy - LosGatos - Shannon - Hicks - Camden. Google Map

Thanks. That's beautiful, but please see the post immediately below.

• If you want to post a loop, post a map for each of the component roads, to the extent that doing so is possible. In some places, you have no choice but to connect road A to road B because there is no practical alternative (e.g., Sierra to Felter). Otherwise, listing the component roads makes it easier for users to build their own routes out of those component roads.

If we collect every loop that could contain 84 or 35 or Page Mill (as examples) in combination of other roads, we end up with a list that contains endless permutations. The objective is to collect the interesting roads or bits or roads. Users can then build their own routes out of those component roads on the list that's created.

Mt Diablo ride -
Rodie's Feed & Pet Supply, 8863 Marsh Creek Rd, Clayton, CA 94517 --> Mitchel Canyon Fire Rd --> N. Gate Road --> Junction Ranger Station --> Summit Rd to the top --> Junction Ranger Station --> S. Gate Road

Google would not let me map inside park roads - https://goo.gl/maps/FE6a7UcXdjE6nDZC8

it's relatively quick and picturesque ride..

Old Lawley Toll Rd, a side loop off Hwy 29 starting in Calistoga
Google map link
Old Lawley sample
DSC01413.jpg

Cavedale Rd., Boyes Hot Springs to Trinity Rd., Sonoma County
Google map link
Cavedale sample
DSC05614.jpg

Mt Veeder Rd., Redwood Rd Napa to Dry Creek Rd.
Google map link
Mt Veeder sample
DSC01966.jpg

Huffmaster Rd., Leesville Rd to Sites Ladoga Rd, Colusa County
Google map link
Huffmaster sample
DSC03551_zps7r0hh1b5.jpg

Rail Canyon Rd., Sites Ladoga Rd Colusa County to Elk Creek Glenn County
Google map link
Rail Canyon sample
DSC03637_zpskmbbdbzp.jpg

-Bill

Last edited:
Central coast region
Carmel Valley rd
CA25 Hollister south to 198
198 to Coalinga
CA 1 (especially when they reopen)
Santa Rosa creek rd
CA 41
Loneoak(king city to 25)
Peach tree

So Cal Classics.

Angeles Crest Google Maps
Mulholland Hwy Google Maps
Highway 33 in Ojai (Can't show the route in Google, it's closed a the moment, so it routes around it.)
Palomar Mountain Google Maps
Julian, Ca, a popular "destination" ride. Google Maps
Highway 74 Google Maps
Azusa Canyon/Glendora Mtn Road. (I have not ridden this in some time.)Google Maps

There is also a turnoff to Glendora Ridge Road, which isn't googling right now -- it's probably closed also. I put it in for completeness, but it scares the willys out of me, at least heading west, because it's so narrow, along a steep canyon, and no guardrails or much shoulder. Always concerned some F-150 is going to be flying around a corner. It's probably better going east.

Back