• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Anyone into gravel bikes?

I ride a gravel loop near my house several times a week. I had an '80s vintage Trek that I had used for gravel. In a weak moment last June I bought a State 4130 All Road which I believe is the finest 100 lb gravel bike on the market. :laughing:laughing Seriously, the bike is heavy and cheap but its comfy and fun to ride. I'm really enjoying it.

Around here gravel is basically XC 😉. I'm on a 1st Gen RLT9, not as heavy as your State but still 23lbs in what I'd consider a moderately light build. I have two sets of wheels, one for knobbies and one for slicks. The 'road' setup is basically for when conditions are rough enough that i don't want to take the the nice bike, and the knobbies are when I don't want to load the mtb up and drive. It's not a do-it-all bike, but it's damn close.

My gravel bike is a Focus Mares CX bike. It's generally pretty damned good at the task, but if i were to build up a dedicated gravel racing rig I'd run a 2x for sure.

1x is nice for the reduction in mental bandwidth compared to 2x, and for CX it's pretty much the only way to go. I do spin out on gradual paved descents on gravel races, though, and that sucks.

IMO 1x is good for mtb or maybe an actual CX race where cadence drops aren't as important but I'd never consider it on my gravel bike where I'll log longer miles, half days, etc. I have mine setup with a 46/34 up front. Road wheels get an 11-32 and knobbies get an 11-36 for the fire roads that regularly approach 20% and often exceed that for short grunts. A 46/11 will let me spin to over 40mph which is fine for most of the stuff where I'm actually still pedaling. The main advantage of the smaller big ring is it reduces how often I'm cross chaining when the terrain is constantly changing.

1x isn't truly horrible for gravel, but it's definitely not optimal. To my mind, Shimano Di2 with a 2x setup would be the best possible setup.

Di2 over AXS, simply because you can set it to work both ends off a single shifter, again taking away that mental bandwidth necessary when deep in the hurt.

Anyone into gravel bikes?

I'm definitely into them, but I never had one, nor can afford to justify it nor store it :laughing I used my regular hybrid with like rain tires and went on 2-3 dirt paths in a park in SF. Sometimes it doesn't work great :) and once I hit the BB or a pedal while not even in a turn :wtf

What would I do with a gravel bike ?

I did buy these 700x38 WTB knobby tires from REI on a whim... :party I guess I thought I need them or something , ... for the park.

This is my Trek Cronus Ultimate. 17 pounds of carbon fiber bling that replaced my race motorcycle. It's ten years old, a Trek CX bike that I set up for gravel, 43 rear tire and 32 front ( yes, I know I could swap them around.) 32 tooth rear and 30-46 front chainrings.

My rides are often taking the streets uphill from the Oakland flatlands to the hills and then letting some air out and taking trails back downhill, a fun way to pass the time. I can and do ride it on the streets only, a couple weeks ago rode it over to the Bay Bridge and across and down to TI. That's one of my fave road rides, I turn it into a 20-30 miler and love doing it.

Attachments

• 20221011_094826.jpg
    20221011_094826.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 22
Most would say I'm really into gravel bikes. I'm signed up for Rock Cobbler (80mi) in Feb, BelgianWaffleRide San Diego (130mi) in April, and BWR NorthCarolina (120mi) in June.

I have a Parlee Chebacco with Ultegra Di2 2x. I usually run my Enve 3.4ARs with Panaracer Gravelking Slicks or Conti Terra Speeds in 35c. I did take that bike to Big Sky Bike Park in Montana with some chunkier tires. It went great aside for a flat that I couldn't plug. For some reason, I really like under-biking.

Most would say I'm really into gravel bikes. I'm signed up for Rock Cobbler (80mi) in Feb, BelgianWaffleRide San Diego (130mi) in April, and BWR NorthCarolina (120mi) in June.

I have a Parlee Chebacco with Ultegra Di2 2x. I usually run my Enve 3.4ARs with Panaracer Gravelking Slicks or Conti Terra Speeds in 35c. I did take that bike to Big Sky Bike Park in Montana with some chunkier tires. It went great aside for a flat that I couldn't plug. For some reason, I really like under-biking.

Rad Bike Ernie!

You have me investigating the Rock Cobbler stangmx......

This looks like so much fun

[youtube]XFZ7Dp0MHPQ[/youtube]

Last edited:
How did the NC Waffle compare to the original here in San Diego?

I haven't done it yet. Based on YT vids and the previous course, it's more punchy and will be 30-60min longer on the bike. I've been out to NC for moto racing before and the area looked like it'd be great to ride bikes in - trees for days and nice dirt. Hopefully the suffering of such a hard ride doesn't dampen my enjoyment of the scenery.

You have me investigating the Rock Cobbler stangmx......

This looks like so much fun

I'm used to hike-a-bike & under-biking, plus I'm a pretty good dirt climber. So I think the Cobbler will suit my strengths a lot. A good friend of mine has done it a few times and says it's the most fun event he's done, vs BWR/Unbound/etc.

Hit me up if you make it to the start line.

I misunderstood- I'd thought you'd ridden those events.

The Cobbler is a lot of fun, but stupid and dangerous at the same time. Seriously, watch out for cows.

I can't stand big animals. I don't trust them at all! So I will be steering clear of Bakersfield cows for sure.

I can't stand big animals. I don't trust them at all! So I will be steering clear of Bakersfield cows for sure.

They're pretty much all tweekers around those parts. The cows at the Grasshopper are much better- they mainly use edibles.

What do you guys eat after the ride?

I rode 22 hard miles yesterday, but my bike is a "hybrid" basically and it was a fast ride. Was "comparing" myself to people with nicer rims (those dish thingies) and nicer bikes.

worked out a bit
so then when I came back I got some juice, protein etc... I think a big dinner. ... after which I basically wanted to eat a 1/2 piece of a chocolate cake, that's how I felt. (didn't have it. So I took a spoonful of honey with nuts.)

legs hurt in the evening and then the next day, eh. Still got a big lunch the next day.

I try to eat a normal meal after a ride. It's really easy to overdo it after a hard ride if you're not careful. I did a 24 mi ride tonight with 2400ft of elevation. Had a sandwich and a handful of circus animal cookies (adulting) after sand I'm good.

If you do your nutrition right you won't be all that hungry after a long ride. Really killing yourself, you might burn off 4-500 calories an hour, and that's slaying it hardcore.
A two hour ride that leaves you destroyed is about a medium Jumbo Jack combo with a Coke.
Like RCB said, it's easy to overcompensate.

Two hours or less, I'll drink water and maybe eat a Clif bar mid-ride, if I skipped lunch or something and felt hungry.

More than two hours, I'll drink my calories (I freaking love Tailwind).

After a ride, I eat normally- the same dinner I would have had otherwise.

Back