• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Ex-hedge funder buys rights to AIDS drug and raises price from $13.50 to $750 per pill

Im going to agree with this...

I truely do wonder if that guy hadn't been such a douche publically if it would have ended up different. To be clear, i dont feel sorry for the guy, even a little. But i expect justice to be blind.

As for the over priced drug part of this, he was a minor player. There are cancer drugs that are $1m per year. He is totally guilt of not knowing when to stfu, and i think his sentance smells a little like that.
Justice is rarely blind, there are almost always circumstances outside of the merit of the case that can heavily influence it's outcome.

Steal from rich people, get jail time.

Steal from poor people, get corner office.

Justice is rarely blind, there are almost always circumstances outside of the merit of the case that can heavily influence it's outcome.

So given that, is there any real reason to respect/obey/submit to the "justice system" other than fear of getting caught? A lot of people have little fear of getting caught.

Just questioning why so many others have gotten away with worse.
I don't know what would have been a fair sentence but 7 years is a long fucking time when it doesn't seen he did much damage. But dude was an immature dumbass.

The ones who got away with it have far more power and influence than that twerp, Shkrelli.

So given that, is there any real reason to respect/obey/submit to the "justice system" other than fear of getting caught? A lot of people have little fear of getting caught.

I know of one guy who now fears it a whole lot more...

Steal from rich people, get jail time.

Steal from poor people, get corner office.

Exactly. People seem to forget that Shkreli never got in trouble for fucking over Daraprim patients.

People's celebration of his sentencing is pure schadenfreude, and what we are really celebrating is the justice system working for a bunch of multimillionaires who made slightly less money because of Shkreli.

Last edited:
OJ didn't spend a minute in jail for the murders, but everyone was ok with him spending time in jail for trying to get his stuff back.

The ledger of life. :laughing

It is what it is, it's better to understand what we have here rather than believing that it's something that it's not.

Money buys you (better) Justice (for yourself), pure and simple. If you can't afford good lawyers, you're probably going to get screwed, if you can afford really good lawyers (and jury experts, expert witnesses, etc), you're probably going to get off.

Lots of guys have modified exhausts and partially obscured license plates.

You know who gets tickets for that? Guys that attract attention to themselves.

Pretty much.

It's not fair, but justice has a vested interest in cracking down on those who publically flaunt themselves. Otherwise, justice would look weak.

Had pharma-bro not smirked as much, or acted like a spoiled brat, he would have gotten off lighter. A handsome lovable face like Paul Walker probably would have helped too.

Exactly. People seem to forget that Shkreli never got in trouble for fucking over Daraprim patients.

People's celebration of his sentencing is pure schadenfreude, and what we are really celebrating is ...

I personally knew that but never followed up much on the guy and noticed that he's behind bars during the trial anyway-- because deemed threat to others..
... As specified in this article by someone who's opinion I would take. (The author is in the picture, interviewed Shkreli before and after Daraprim)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthe...kreli-thats-sort-of-the-problem/#8e176fc6238a

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I personally knew that but never followed up much on the guy and noticed that he's behind bars during the trial anyway-- because deemed threat to others..
... As specified in this article by someone who's opinion I would take. (The author is in the picture, interview from before )

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthe...kreli-thats-sort-of-the-problem/#8e176fc6238a

What do you guys think?

That. Exactly that.

The notion that justice has been served is far more disgusting than Shkreli’s smirk. It is a combination of shadenfruede and willfull ignorance, proving to the next Shkreli that he only need not piss off investors. The lives of patients are as jeopardized as they ever were. Probably more.

That. Exactly that.

The notion that justice has been served is far more disgusting than Shkreli’s smirk. It is a combination of shadenfruede and willfull ignorance, proving to the next Shkreli that he only need not piss off investors. The lives of patients are as jeopardized as they ever were. Probably more.

Yes and,

Can we at least be a little happy that a white collar criminal is going to do a little jail time? We know its a drop in the bucket. We know justice isn't being fully served. It has to start somewhere though. Yeah we can be cynical and say this is meaningless or he's going to jail for the wrong reasons. But, would you really feel better if he only got 6 months or probation and then went on to continue to thumb his nose at the judicial system?

I would love to see him get 10 years for fucking over AIDS patients, we don't seem to have a legal framework in place anymore that puts price gougers in jail. I hope that shit changes too. Sometimes its ok to celebrate your victories even if you don't get the grand prize.

Yes and,

Can we at least be a little happy that a white collar criminal is going to do a little jail time? We know its a drop in the bucket. We know justice isn't being fully served. It has to start somewhere though. Yeah we can be cynical and say this is meaningless or he's going to jail for the wrong reasons. But, would you really feel better if he only got 6 months or probation and then went on to continue to thumb his nose at the judicial system?

I would love to see him get 10 years for fucking over AIDS patients, we don't seem to have a legal framework in place anymore that puts price gougers in jail. I hope that shit changes too. Sometimes its ok to celebrate your victories even if you don't get the grand prize.
Just as long as he isn't a carefully selected asshole to prosecute to make the public feel better and feel like the government is going after the bad guys when they really aren't.

They have gone after wealthy, unlikeable business men and women in the past with huge headlines and a ton of fanfare while letting the other 99% walk free.

What was it they ended getting Capone on, anyway?

Ah he’s...taxes.

Yes and,

Shrkeli is a scapegoat. Not that he's not a total asshole, I'm glad to see he is going to jail. He's just a turd floating in the punchbowl. The big turds are sinkers. They are all profoundly grateful to him for being stupid enough to float.

Shrkeli is a scapegoat. Not that he's not a total asshole, I'm glad to see he is going to jail. He's just a turd floating in the punchbowl. The big turds are sinkers. They are all profoundly grateful to him for being stupid enough to float.

Perfectly stated. :thumbup

....just be faster than the slowest swimmer...

Back