• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Get up early this is a day race. I changed all time to PACIFIC Time

8:00 am
Mission SuperTwins Practice 1

8:10 am
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Practice 1

8:20 am
Track Prep

8:45 am
Mission SuperTwins Practice 2

8:55 am
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Practice 2

9:05 am
Track Prep

9:30 am
Mission SuperTwins Qualifying 1

9:40 am
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Qualifying 1

9:50 am
Track Prep

10:15 pm
Mission SuperTwins Qualifying 2

10:25 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Qualifying 2

10:35 pm
Pits Open / Fan Walk

11:30 pm
Opening Ceremonies

12:00 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Heat 1

12:06 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Heat 2

12:12 pm
Mission SuperTwins Heat 1

12:18 pm
Mission SuperTwins Heat 2

12:24 pm
Track Prep

12:44 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles LCQ

12:50 pm
Mission SuperTwins LCQ

12:56 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Al Lamb's Dallas Honda Challenge

1:02 pm
Mission SuperTwins Mission #2Fast2Tasty Challenge

1:08 pm
Track Prep

1:23 pm
AFT Singles Rider Introductions

1:30 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Main Event (10 Minutes + 2 Laps)

1:41 pm
AFT Singles Victory Podium

1:53 pm
AFT SuperTwins Rider Introductions

2:00 pm
Mission SuperTwins Main Event (14 Minutes + 2 Laps)

2:16 pm
AFT SuperTwins Victory Podium

Same times for Sundays race.

Entering a corner on a Flat Track Mile must be one the most thriilling, challenging, and terrifying things in all of motorsports. There can't be anything else quite like it.

Screen%20Shot%202023-09-08%20at%203.46.57%20PM-X2.png

Entering a corner on a Flat Track Mile must be one the most thriilling, challenging, and terrifying things in all of motorsports. There can't be anything else quite like it.

I have ridden the half mile at Orland on my 250 Ossa, that was fast enough for me. Good friend John Jorgenson (Alex's dad) who passed last month at 90. Told me the difference between a half mile and a mile is. On a mile you have time to think about that corner coming up.

When the riders used to qualify one at a time you could hear each motorcycle. At the old Sacramento fairgrounds, before Cal Expo. I saw George Roeder Sr go into turn one and the motor did not change tune. He just got sideways and the crowd went wild. Most rider let off the gas a little and you could hear the motor change tune.

"On a mile you have time to think about that corner coming up. "

Thanks for that Bill.

One of the years I volunteered at the Sacramento Mile, I was assigned to the back straight to make sure people didn't sneak up to watch from the stables. I was allowed to stand right on the rail along the back straight. Out there by myself watching the Twins come down the straight weaving, never really hooked up, and then flick into Turn three was mind blowing.

It looks even crazier than MotoGP bikes going over Turn 1 at Laguna.

2024 AFT Schedule.

No Sacramento Mile listed. Grrrrrrr.

New short track race in Chico.

F9YN6zNXwAEkB1s

Two bits of news released today:

https://www.americanflattrack.com/news/view/spirit-sturgis-tt-progressive-american-flat-track-hits-streets-historic-debut-august-11-2024

- AFT announced a new race event. The Spirit of Sturgis TT which race through the streets of Sturgis during the annual rally. It will be event #13 on the schedule in the post above. There was a Supermoto race on the streets of Sturgis for a few years (not during the big rally). It was pretty cool and the fans can get reallly close to the action.

- Bigger news is AFT announcing an Adventure Tracker class. Details still to come on the class structure, rules, and what bikes will make up the new class.

The Spirit of Sturgis TT sounds awesome.

That should be fun for racers and fans.

Adventure Tracker class huh?? Guess Baggers being sideways presents issues. :p

Good bye FansChoice.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 15, 2024) – AMA Pro Racing and FloSports, a global independent sports media company and streaming platform, have entered into a multi-year media agreement making FloRacing the exclusive livestreaming and content destination for Progressive American Flat Track (AFT) , the world’s premier dirt track motorcycle racing series.

How Much Does FloRacing Cost? FloRacing now offers both monthly and annual plans. Plans are available for $39.99/mo paid monthly or $13.25/mo paid annually.

Looks like prices are going up. I have never watched FloRacing, sounds like they cover a lot of auto dirt track. Guess we will have to see how the quality is for live coverage. Not sure about next day (on demand) streaming or watching recorded.

Things change. Go with the flow or say no.

Hope it is good.

Not much to get excited about during the AFT off-season so here is some good news. Al Lamb's Dallas Honda is developing a Twin based on the twin in the new Honda TransAlp 750. They've hired Dan Bromley and Morgan Mishler as riders.

Details and back story on the AFT website.

The AFT season kicks off with back-to-back races at the Daytona Short Track tomorrow night and Friday night.

Jared Mees will be going for a record setting 10th championship.

Full AFT Season preview on the AFT website.

Mees on the verge of history... just takes a long time for the verge to be defined. Guy is amazing.

Highlights from both Thursday Mains.

[YOUTUBE]xiA2dKoI9-s?si=Lhs1If8oMxt0NqUb[/YOUTUBE]

Highlights from both Friday Mains.

[YOUTUBE]AAWO8WDXZQc?si=aKFA3PJhK4YFeCPE[/YOUTUBE]

Sammy Halbert is racing a limited schedule this year on the Dodge Bros. XR750. He's doing a great job posting videos and commentary. AFT should be producing, at least promoting, this kind of story-behind-the-story content. Including the trash talk is a must.

[youtube]ZpGi1wxzhqU?si=4RYVczOVni8h0n57[/youtube]

The street race AFT planned for the last weekend of the Sturgis Rally is in jeopardy after residents voted to reject their city council's agreement with AFT. While voter turnout was low at only 28% for the election (which included voting for three city council seats and to eliminate the position of City Manager) the referendum to reject the agreement passed by more than a 2 to 1. A huge loss. The question put to the voters was: Should the action of the Sturgis Common Council authorizing the council President to sign the professional services contract (host agreement) with AMA-Pro, AFT-E and Outerkind, passed on February 20, 2024 be rejected? A yes vote meant rejecting the contract.

AFT has not released a statement yet about the vote.

The Sturgis street race was billed as a way to attract more young attendees to the famous Rally and was scheduled to be broadcast live on FOX Sports. The event was also scheduled to host a much-hyped one-off race featuring an Adventure bike class.

Last edited:
That is the SUCK!!! :rant

Damn you 28%.. I mean the 72% that would have said lets race!!!

I haven't read all the documents related to the agreement between the city and AFT but it appears the cost to put on the event was nearly $700,000 per year including track set up and insurance for the street race, with a 3-year agreement. I don' t know if that figure included the AFT sanction fee which is rumored to be well into six figures. AFT made a lot of promises about sponsorship sales to offset cost.

I can understand the residents' concern about a multi-million dollar spending commitment for a single event during the Rally. The city receives a tremendous economic impact from the Rally so why spend so much to attract what might be a relatively small increase in attendance?

Solid point, but those codgers are going to age out soon. :afm199

AFT postpones Chico short track to May 18 due to rain in the forecast all day this coming Saturday.

GMlWsDjXMAAHz9-

Back