• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Golf

I shot a 99 the other week at Poppy Ridge. My 5th time breaking 100.

The good news is i've gotten a birdie in my last 3 rounds. So at least i'm trending upwards :D

Just to be clear, this is Poppy Ridge in Livermore. Not Poppy Hills in Monterrey :)

Mind blown, but shot a 90 Friday at Santa Teresa. Best score there was 102 prior.
Best score on a par 72 was 98 at the old Santa Clara course.

How is everyone else doing out there?

Mind blown, but shot a 90 Friday at Santa Teresa. Best score there was 102 prior.
Best score on a par 72 was 98 at the old Santa Clara course.

How is everyone else doing out there?

Shot a personal best 78 a few weeks ago, 85 this last weekend on the tournament course at Coyote.

Developing a bit of tennis elbow that's hurting my swing and not sure what to do about it. Took a month off to let it heal and no improvement. Might be time to check in with the doctor.

Huh, didn't know BARF had a golf thread. Guess I just missed it...for 7+ years. :laughing I've been playing since...I'm not even sure. My dad got me into it when I was a kid, probably early 90s. There was a muni course in my neighborhood that I used to ride my bicycle to with my clubs on my back.

I played varsity golf in high school. But wasn't quite good enough for the college team and wasn't willing to put in the practice hours to get there.

78 is my best too. But that was back when I used to play regularly, and actually practiced.

These days I only play a handful of times a year. Mostly while visiting family or when the opportunity presents itself.

I still usually manage around mid 80s. I can still break 40 for 9 on a good day, but can't hold it together long enough to come in under 80. I don't spray em out of bounds or hit it in the hazard too often. But it's my short game that kills me. Which is what happens when you don't practice. On a bad day my crappy chipping/putting probably costs me 5 strokes a side. If I could go up and down regularly and not 3 putt I could probably be back to flirting with the 70s.

Last time I played was back in June, we went to Bandon Dunes for my Dad's 70th. I won our overall multi-day match and my brothers (who actually play regularly) were pissed.

Before that I played a couple rounds down in Palm Springs in March. And prior to that I think around last October in Mammoth. I'm kind of a destination golfer these days. There are plenty of courses here in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson area; I almost never play any of them. I'd rather spend a nice Saturday riding dirt bikes than on the golf course 10 of 10 times.

Golf is fun, I think it's a great hobby to be into. It's just the time commitment of play/practice and cost of green fees are both substantial enough that it has to be your main thing if you are really going to be into it and play well.

I'm not sure what's more sad when I walk down to the garage. Looking at my bike or looking at my golf clubs because I don't use either much currently. :(

I want to play more, just need a decent person to team up with. I hate signing up as a solo to play...I always get teamed up with alcoholics or assholes...or both...

I want to play more, just need a decent person to team up with. I hate signing up as a solo to play...I always get teamed up with alcoholics or assholes...or both...

Or with golfers shooting 20+ better then you :rofl

Or with golfers shooting 20+ better then you :rofl

I've actually gotten pretty decent in my own mind. But I enjoy the game and while I won't turn down a beer or two, there's something really annoying about being paired up with people that bring a friggin' cooler full of booze that takes up all the legroom in the golf cart. Did you want to play golf or get smashed?

We only do that on our company sponsored tournaments. So many shenanigans.....

Yeah I don't think anyone shows up for a company-sponsored game and thinks they're not gonna be drinking. It's kind of the point. :laughing

My office. Having the mat and clubs handy is really helpful. I have been able to get in tune with my swing a lot faster. I calmed way down on a lot of aspects of the swing. Slowed way down on the take away. I have seen big improvements when I hit the range. Also, it has helped immensely with the issue of switching clubs. The amount of time it takes to get my brain wrapped around a short iron vs a wood, etc. I add a swing radar to keep track of consistent swing speeds. Makes conference calls a lot more educational. :laughing

2021-09-22_10-58-03 by James LaBarge, on Flickr

That's a sweet setup!

This is the last week to get in some twighlight-ish rounds in before we lose an hour of daylight!

Played Summit after a morning rain. I remember why i don't like playing there.

Played Metro on saturday. First time there and i like it. greens were soft and slow, probably from all the recent rain. But it was maintained well and we finished just under 4.5 hours on a saturday.

Shot my first multi-bird round at SJ Muni Friday. (still shot 97)
Couldn't hit a drive until halfway through the back 9.

The weather is getting nice, the daylight is longer!

Back