• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

zx6roxy said:
I was looking for that program. I have that issue at home.

That was a really good issue!

Thanks Mike!:thumbup

And I'd like to thank you for all the additional info you've posted. You've given me plenty of helpful reading material! :thumbup

I ran a marathon several years ago and did the Jeff Galaway run-walk training program which really worked well for me. Basically, when you train, you run for a few minutes and then walk for a minute. Supposedly it's supposed to help you train without becoming injured and is easier to build up mileage. It was a 6 month program though. Just something else to think about - I really can't make any comparisons as that is the only way I have trained.

http://www.runinjuryfree.com/

^My friend who did the San Diego Rock 'n Roll marathon did the run-walk method on his longer runs. Really helped save his knees;)

smallfry said:
I ran a marathon several years ago and did the Jeff Galaway run-walk training program which really worked well for me. Basically, when you train, you run for a few minutes and then walk for a minute. Supposedly it's supposed to help you train without becoming injured and is easier to build up mileage. It was a 6 month program though. Just something else to think about - I really can't make any comparisons as that is the only way I have trained.

http://www.runinjuryfree.com/

Thanks for your input! When I first started getting back into shape, that is the kind of regimen I went through as well.. Nice to hear, you can apply the same technique to longer distance running.

I still have his book (I think I do at least) if you want it. It has all of the programs and a bunch of other stuff that was helpful with regards to diet, stretching, etc. You're welcome to it if I can find it.

thanks for all the info. Roxy.

Stan, let me know which marathon you put your eyes on, and I'll see where I am.

On my list of "things to do" is a triathlon, but rather than start a seperate thread, i thought I would butt into Stans. :teeth :twofinger

I do the run/walk training method...although I incorporate some beer (maybe 1) at the beginning and then a couple at the end. is this wrong.? :laughing

my problem is I get bored with running for exercise.
Is that something that marathoners encounter, and how do they deal with it? do they just get over it and keep running or is it a problem, am i just whining about that? when running unknown trails set by someone, i'll put out about 6 to 8 miles in a run without feeling it.

otherwise, i'm hard pressed to keep interest to run a couple miles.

great thread stan, you know you need to come hashing more, right?

Did you happen to check this off your list.....

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

carry on....

Many good ideas here. Slowly pick up mileage and PACE... Try some small 5k, 10k and 10 mile races.. You will have to work up to at LEAST an 18 mile run, if you want to do 26.

You are going to need 10-15-18 mile runs in your repertoire before you do a marathon. Once you understand how it feels to run for FOUR HOURS at a time, then you will be ready. That is what you will need if you try to run a marathon at a ten minute pace.

Also don't consider the marathon some be all and end all. It is a long way and the bigger you are the harder long runs are on your body. Look at the front (and middle) runners in a marathon, they are all skinny guys. I weigh 152 right now at 5'8" and when I competed seriously I liked my weight to be at a137-139 pounds, 4-5% body fat. If you are a big guy, you may find ankle, knee and shin problems take you down long before you ever get 20 miles, and chronic injury a problem.

Try some shorter races. I ran one marathon and said fuck it. I ran 10k and 10 mile races for years , trophied and got several top ten finishes. I love the middle distance races. They are long enough to test you but not so long they beat you to pieces. I still run 6 mile runs and it has been years since I competed.

Lots of great info in this thread. I would recommend you get the most comfortable and properly fitting pair of running shoes that fit your foot strike class. In my area i go to Forward Motion Sports.
http://www.forwardmotion.com/
Go to the shoe review dropdown for info.

Don't just buy any ole running shoe. And dont buy a shoe that is the same size as your foot.

afm199 said:
Many good ideas here. Slowly pick up mileage and PACE... Try some small 5k, 10k and 10 mile races.. You will have to work up to at LEAST an 18 mile run, if you want to do 26.

You are going to need 10-15-18 mile runs in your repertoire before you do a marathon. Once you understand how it feels to run for FOUR HOURS at a time, then you will be ready. That is what you will need if you try to run a marathon at a ten minute pace.

Also don't consider the marathon some be all and end all. It is a long way and the bigger you are the harder long runs are on your body. Look at the front (and middle) runners in a marathon, they are all skinny guys. I weigh 152 right now at 5'8" and when I competed seriously I liked my weight to be at a137-139 pounds, 4-5% body fat. If you are a big guy, you may find ankle, knee and shin problems take you down long before you ever get 20 miles, and chronic injury a problem.

Try some shorter races. I ran one marathon and said fuck it. I ran 10k and 10 mile races for years , trophied and got several top ten finishes. I love the middle distance races. They are long enough to test you but not so long they beat you to pieces. I still run 6 mile runs and it has been years since I competed.

Thanks for your post. It's a great reality check for someone who probably has more will than talent.

I'll start a more focused running schedule and see where I stand in a few months. If i'm lucky, and I feel good, i'll proceed with a more intense training regimen.

SWETNGBLTS said:
Lots of great info in this thread. I would recommend you get the most comfortable and properly fitting pair of running shoes that fit your foot strike class. In my area i go to Forward Motion Sports.
http://www.forwardmotion.com/
Go to the shoe review dropdown for info.

Don't just buy any ole running shoe. And dont buy a shoe that is the same size as your foot.

Yeah, I already did the shoe fitting thing at a pro store when I started working out 2 years ago. It made a huge difference.

so stan is getting a hobby other than myspace browsing :twofinger

PS: marathon is something I want to do too....but I dont think I am in shape to do that, kudos to you dude :thumbup

Eating For Running

PreCompetition/PreRun Meals
• Goal: to optimize glycogen (stored glucose) in the muscles and liver, and promote adequate body fluid levels.
• The focus should be on: Fuel and Fluids. The Fuel component will come from Carbohydrate rich foods, and the Fluids from water, diluted fruit juice or fluid/electrolyte drinks.
• Meal timing should allow for gastric emptying (most food and fluids should be digested and absorbed) before the run.
• Food/Fluid examples:
-Fruit/diluted fruit juices (avoid acidic juices, concentrated juices, and prune juice).
-Breads and Cereals (avoid high fiber, high fat or sugary types before and during running).
-Lowfat Yogurt or Skim Milk (higher fat varieties require longer digestion).
Carbohydrate range recommended: 1-4 grams/Kilogram of body weight 1-4 hours before competition or a training run. Example: 150lb runner= 68kg (2.2lb/kilogram). So this runner should eat 68-272 grams of Carbohydrates 1-4 hours prior to their run. This is equivalent to 272-1088 Calories from Carbohydrates. This wide range will take into consideration the meal timing, length of the run, the speed of the run, varying climatic conditions, and your individual caloric requirements.

Food/Fluids during Running
• Goal: to maintain optimal body hydration, electrolyte (sodium, potassium, etc.) and blood sugar levels during your run. Short runs of 1-5 miles in mild climatic conditions won’t require a significant amount of food or fluids during the run (assuming you prepared properly by eating/drinking before the run).
• In Hot weather drink up to 8-10 ounces of Cold water or Fluid/Electrolyte drink every 20 minutes during strenuous exercise. In Cold weather less fluid may be required. Warmer fluids may help maintain body temperature during a Cold Weather run. You may weigh yourself before and after a run in Hot Weather to see if you’ve consumed enough liquid and food during the run to maintain your bodyweight.
• Food/Fluid suggestions during a run: Cold water, fluid/electrolyte drinks like Recharge or Gatorade, Diluted fruit juices (add double the amount of water to dilute and enhance absorption, gu or other packaged and portable carbohydrate supplement foods, and fruit as tolerated.

Post Competiton/Training Nutrition
• Goal: to replace lost muscle and liver glycogen (stored Carbohydrates) and body fluids, and provide adequate quality protein to promote muscle repair.
Try to consume 0.5 grams of Carbohydrate per pound of bodyweight. For example a 150lb person would need 75 grams of Carbohydrate (300 Calories) within two hours after a run, and another 75 grams two hours later. Now that the run is over focus more on whole grain higher fiber carbohydrate foods like: vegetables, fruit, whole grain breads and cereals, pasta, beans, etc.
• Most of the weight you lose during a run will be fluids. Drink regularly after your run until your weight normalizes.
• The primary role of Protein in the body is to build or repair body tissues. Consume some quality protein within an hour after your run (along with your fluids and carbohydrates) to help repair damage muscle fibers. High quality protein can be found in meat, chicken, fish, dairy products, eggs and protein powder supplements like Whey and Soy. I recommend one serving of Whey protein (roughly 20 grams protein) within one hour after your run to promote muscle repair. Whey protein is quickly digested and absorbed so it’s ideal right after exercise.

Additional Recommendations
• Don’t experiment with a new food or drink just before or during a competition. Use training days to experiment with foods and drinks until you determine what regimen works best for you.
• Body fluid losses of only 2% during running can impair blood circulation, and body heat regulation. Nutrients can’t be efficiently transported to muscles and wastes accumulate more readily resulting in fatigue and impaired performance.
• Early morning runners often skip eating and drinking due to a lack of time to wait for digestion. Run at a later time or at least drink diluted juice or an electrolyte replacement drink before and during the run to prevent dehydration and improve the running experience.

O shit I just remembered what I was eating when I ran 40-50 miles a week. I ate huge bowls of noodles, bread, pasta of all kinds, you name it.

The big time bicycle racers burn 4000-5000 calories a day. They can eat just about anything and lose weight. :laughing

Update:

I ran 5.2 miles yesterday.. The only thing that even remotely bothered me was my left knee cap (I had crashed on it earlier a few months back) I can tell if I want to do any type of real distance running, certain parts of my body will bother me (such as the knee and maybe the lower back)

I ran exactly 50 minutes. I could have gone further, but I didn't want to risk injury or overexertion.

Tonight, i'm supposed to work on the lower body using weights, but I think i'll go easy as I don't want to be too sore for the run on Thursday.

I'm currently alternating between lifting and running.

One the days that I lift weights, I still do some cardo - usually 15 minutes to get the heart pumping. Should I stop this, since i'm doing a lot more cardio on my run days?

I'm no expert, but you've got to give yourself time to recover. I bet you'll get better results if you did upper body today and waited until tomorrow for lower body, and you don't go easy tomorrow. Then maybe go for a short run in two days to get blood through your legs, and in three days do a long run.

FWIW, lifting (squats, etc...) has done more to improve my running than running. Like I see better and faster results from doing lower body weight workouts than from actual running. I dunno why. Maybe it's just because I hate running.

I did 6 miles last night, I was so bored that I started counting to 100 over and over. I seriously don't know how you guys do it. I would love to run a marathon but I'd probably need a nap halfway through.

Back