• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

FWIW, Stan, I did the SF marathon 3 years ago and I essentially just went from walking up and down hills to running around a little bit ,just like you are doing right now, then actually training for it.

I used the 16 week training schedule similar to what Solis posted.

Go to runnersworld.com and they should still have a schedule for beginners that just want to finish a marathon.

Do what you are doing right now for about a month and a half or so then get on that 16 week training program and you will be able to figure out early on the program if you can go through it or not. I believe anyone can do it. It's all about the preparation and the training. THe actual race is your "trophy" run. That is your reward for all the months of hardwork.

Just use your common sense when eating. When you have a doubt in your mind if the food that you are eating is bad for your goals then you're probably right.

The best motivator for me was signing up for the race and telling all my friends about it. I had to do it now or I lose face :laughing

You'll do it. I know you can.

Sawyer Camp Trail in Millbrae/Burlingame is where I trained. Awesome paved trail. Plenty of runners groups that you can join too. I joined the Palo Alto Runners Club and they were totally cool with noobs and seasoned vets.

EDIT: One more thing, get technical enough to know the fundamentals in training but don't get too technical with it. Your body will tell you exactly where you are at. Just go out there and run. You'll be surprised what you are able to achieve when your mind is focused.

Last edited:
cardinal03 said:
I'm no expert, but you've got to give yourself time to recover. I bet you'll get better results if you did upper body today and waited until tomorrow for lower body, and you don't go easy tomorrow. Then maybe go for a short run in two days to get blood through your legs, and in three days do a long run.

FWIW, lifting (squats, etc...) has done more to improve my running than running. Like I see better and faster results from doing lower body weight workouts than from actual running. I dunno why. Maybe it's just because I hate running.

I did 6 miles last night, I was so bored that I started counting to 100 over and over. I seriously don't know how you guys do it. I would love to run a marathon but I'd probably need a nap halfway through.

Yeah, I think my legs need to recover a bit.. I already did upper body on Monday, so I don't think I should hit it again so soon.

Here is my routine that i've been doing the past year and a half.

Monday - 15min cardio and upper body weight training
Tuesday - 30min cardio
Wednesday - 15min cardo and lower body weight training
Thursday - 30min cardio
Friday - 30min cardio

I know that I need to modify the parameters in order to train for long distance running.

I was squatting 205 before my accident, and now I can only do around 135.

JMack said:
FWIW, Stan, I did the SF marathon 3 years ago and I essentially just went from walking up and down hills to running around a little bit ,just like you are doing right now, then actually training for it.

I used the 16 week training schedule similar to what Solis posted.

Go to runnersworld.com and they should still have a schedule for beginners that just want to finish a marathon.

Do what you are doing right now for about a month and a half or so then get on that 16 week training program and you will be able to figure out early on the program if you can go through it or not. I believe anyone can do it. It's all about the preparation and the training. THe actual race is your "trophy" run. That is your reward for all the months of hardwork.

Just use your common sense when eating. When you have a doubt in your mind if the food that you are eating is bad for your goals then you're probably right.

The best motivator for me was signing up for the race and telling all my friends about it. I had to do it now or I lose face :laughing

You'll do it. I know you can.

Sawyer Camp Trail in Millbrae/Burlingame is where I trained. Awesome paved trail. Plenty of runners groups that you can join too. I joined the Palo Alto Runners Club and they were totally cool with noobs and seasoned vets.

EDIT: One more thing, get technical enough to know the fundamentals in training but don't get too technical with it. Your body will tell you exactly where you are at. Just go out there and run. You'll be surprised what you are able to achieve when your mind is focused.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Really means a lot to me to hear of someone who has put in the time and reap the rewards..

I like to run alone, but I will try to recruit as much peeps as possible. The way I see it, perhaps I can motivate some of my non-running friends.

One of my good buddies that has coached me in regards to working out has been by my side ever since I wanted to get fit 2 years ago. He's competed in Triathalons and it was very inspiring to workout with him.

stan23 said:
Yeah, I think my legs need to recover a bit.. I already did upper body on Monday, so I don't think I should hit it again so soon.

Here is my routine that i've been doing the past year and a half.

Monday - 15min cardio and upper body weight training
Tuesday - 30min cardio
Wednesday - 15min cardo and lower body weight training
Thursday - 30min cardio
Friday - 30min cardio

I know that I need to modify the parameters in order to train for long distance running.

I was squatting 205 before my accident, and now I can only do around 135.

You stopped working out after your accident, but you only hurt your wrists, right? No leg injuries? I wouldn't want to tell you to push yourself if you've got any injuries, but if you're otherwise healthy I bet you could do more than you think.

From what I understand (and perhaps Roxy or Brandon can add more information) 48hrs is plenty for recovery when lifting. When you tear down your muscle by lifting, the muslces send "repair" signals to your body, thereby creating the new muscle and growth. As I understand, this process essentially stops after 48hrs. So after 48hrs you're not benefitting from additional rest.

Everyone will probably have different opinions on this, but I think the 15 minutes of cardio on your lifting days is a waste. It's great to get your heart up to speed, but you can do that with 2 minutes of stretching. And with only 15 minutes, you're not getting any cardio benefits.

So, I'd give up the cardio on lifting days, and bump the cardio days to 1hr. I alternate running/eliptical to save my knees, and once a week I box or do yoga to break up the routine.

Monitor your heart rate too. Depending on whether you are aiming for fat loss or cardio strengthening, you'll want to be at different heart rates.

And Roxy has already posted on eating for training, which people often forget to do. I've also been told an 8oz glass of milk is good after running for some quick amino acids and to help recovery.

I'd love to hear what people have to say about supplements as well. I'm doing a flax seed, fish oil and multi-vitamin right now in the morning with breakfast. I wonder if those would be better spread throughout the day, or immediately after a workout?

cardinal03 said:
You stopped working out after your accident, but you only hurt your wrists, right? No leg injuries? I wouldn't want to tell you to push yourself if you've got any injuries, but if you're otherwise healthy I bet you could do more than you think.

From what I understand (and perhaps Roxy or Brandon can add more information) 48hrs is plenty for recovery when lifting. When you tear down your muscle by lifting, the muslces send "repair" signals to your body, thereby creating the new muscle and growth. As I understand, this process essentially stops after 48hrs. So after 48hrs you're not benefitting from additional rest.

Everyone will probably have different opinions on this, but I think the 15 minutes of cardio on your lifting days is a waste. It's great to get your heart up to speed, but you can do that with 2 minutes of stretching. And with only 15 minutes, you're not getting any cardio benefits.

So, I'd give up the cardio on lifting days, and bump the cardio days to 1hr. I alternate running/eliptical to save my knees, and once a week I box or do yoga to break up the routine.

Monitor your heart rate too. Depending on whether you are aiming for fat loss or cardio strengthening, you'll want to be at different heart rates.

And Roxy has already posted on eating for training, which people often forget to do. I've also been told an 8oz glass of milk is good after running for some quick amino acids and to help recovery.

I'd love to hear what people have to say about supplements as well. I'm doing a flax seed, fish oil and multi-vitamin right now in the morning with breakfast. I wonder if those would be better spread throughout the day, or immediately after a workout?

Great post! thanks for the info.

Actually, I banged up my knee pretty good and i'm still feeling some after affect pains. I started working out again 3 weeks after the accident. I would run 2 miles or so, until the knee starting bugging me. It was not fun to run with 2 casts on!

Ok, i'll cut back on the cardio on weight days.. I am already planning on doubling my cardio on the days that I do run. I also ride my bicycle on the days I just don't feel like running.

As for diet, I used to eat six small meals a day, but now i've longed since stopped that.

I concentrate on protien and carbs. I also take a multi-vitamin and drink a protien shake on the days that I do lift.

2851860-knee2.jpg

cardinal03 said:
I did 6 miles last night, I was so bored that I started counting to 100 over and over. I seriously don't know how you guys do it. I would love to run a marathon but I'd probably need a nap halfway through.

I couldn't train without my iPod.

CityBikeMike said:
I couldn't train without my iPod.

Yeah, I listen to music (I love good long mixes) and I think a lot. I try to put my mind outside of what i'm doing..

I know it's bad, but sometimes I run with my eyes half closed with my body relaxed and it's very theraputic.

I JUST started running with music again last week.....after almost 8 months of training without it.

I'm gonna have to wean myself off the music starting January

i rock the mp3 player, but there's something about left step right step that bores the shit out of me.

rox can you chase me around the track with a paddle? entertaining AND motivating!

cardinal03 - I swear, I think at times I have an adult form of ADD, and if I concentrate on how boring running its, it really starts to get to me. I just try and program my mind to think of other things.. like what I can do to improve my riding skillz.

what's funny is the eliptical is no problem, i can do that for an hour and a half and just turn my mind off and it's no problem. just something about running i guess...

I run with my 2 year old Pit bull, he keeps me plenty occupied, I also train with a 33 year old woman who is fun to talk with, and the remainder of the time I use my Ipod.

When I was competing I pushed all the time, I only ran casual ( 8 minute miles or slower) runs on weekends, 15-20 miles. Otherwise I ran near race pace or at race pace. that keeps you occupied trying to breathe and not fall and watch you step and judge the environment to avoid problems. Also did a LOT of pyramids which is what got me from 7:30 miles to sub six minute miles in nine months.

This is so funny now, cause if I am hauling ass today it is nine minute miles. LOL.

Injury question: my friend was running a half marathon, at mile 11 her knee began to hurt. Region is at about 3 o'clock on her knee, hurting around the knee cap and slightly under. She can't go to the doctor because she is silly and doesn't have health insurance (see my "Health Insurance for Poor People" thread).

Any thoughts/pain remedies? I've already told her to stay off it. It's bad enough that she can't run for more than ten minutes.

I'm with JMack, Stan....sign up for it and then you'll have to do it.

I just talked to a friend of mine from Dallas, and she's thinking of doing the Napa Marathon.

so i'll up the ante for you right now. sign up for the Napa Marathon, and I'll sign up and run it with you. we can even do it "a la thelma and louis" holding hands. :laughing :twofinger

i'll even train for it. :teeth hashing is training, right? :confused

I hear marathons are a treasure trove of myspace url's. I'm just sayin.....

glf said:
I'm with JMack, Stan....sign up for it and then you'll have to do it.

I just talked to a friend of mine from Dallas, and she's thinking of doing the Napa Marathon.

so i'll up the ante for you right now. sign up for the Napa Marathon, and I'll sign up and run it with you. we can even do it "a la thelma and louis" holding hands. :laughing :twofinger

i'll even train for it. :teeth hashing is training, right? :confused

I hear marathons are a treasure trove of myspace url's. I'm just sayin.....

I'm really tempted.. It's in early march, which gives me plenty of time.. I'm just not sure of my knee holding up. I need to do a 10 miler to find out. I will know where i stand by 2-weeks. The discounted registration is good until dec 31st. Ideally, if I can do a 10 miler, with no problems -- then I should be good to go.

There's a 5:30 time limit, and i'm hoping I can do it in 5 hours.

cardinal03 said:

The recovery time varies with each individual, age, gender, current training regiment, nutrition and all. The actual amount of stress that has been put on the muscles. remember it is not just "muscle" your stressing, its your ligaments, tendons and skeletal system and those take a lot longer to heal/adapt. So although "48 hours" is a decent rough estimate, it is definitely not exact.

Warm-up: there is scientific proof as to why a "general warm-up" is a great idea before a workout. it warms up all of your muscle, which allows for more elasticity and increased flexibility to prevent injury. as far as using a stretching routine to warm-up enough to get your heart rate going, you would need to know how to go about stretching in a "cold" state and which stretches to do to actually make you exert some energy to actually get your heart rate going. Most people I see stretching in the gym are sitting around putting for minimal efforts while stretching.
A warm-up also helps to get you in the mindset to workout. last thing you need while working out is to start thinking about something like work. A distraction can cause you to lift something just wrong to injure yourself, especially if your lifting close to you max or just starting out.
Although 15 mins is not really enough to get you the cardio vascular benefits that a 30 mins session would give you, you are still burning 15 mins worth of calories and all the above mentioned benefits of a "general warm-up"

Me personally, I warm-up with about 5-10 mins of light cardio before working out.

Monitoring your heart rate is a great idea. knowing what your heart rate is at 10 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins and so on during a run will allow you to track improvements of your cardiovascular system. as you train your heart will adapt and become more effecient too.

I believe you mentioned in another post about how your strength training for your legs has improved your running. Overall strength has a direct correlation to endurance. muscles that are stronger will have more endurance. an idividual who trains strength and endurance will have more endurance than an individual who only does one or the other.

Anyhow, this is my :2cents

Stan, its great that you are considering this. I just have one thing to say. "Why put it off till tomorrow, what you can do today?" - I think that is right, not sure who says it though.
I did a half marathon in 2006, i wanted to train 12 weeks, but got a really bad cold in the middle and only got to train for 5 weeks. I still got the time I wanted which was 129.5 mins.

^ true, i do either 5 minutes of cardio warm-up (basically jog to the gym) or 5 minutes of stretching, i just didn't think much more than that was necessary for a non-cardio workout

combining strength and endurance training has definitely helped me for both more than just doing either

Last edited:
Calyel - thanks for chiming in with your expertise. I originally wanted to give myself at least 6-months of training before attempting a marathon, but running one in March would be cutting it really close.. I'll still try though. I will probably know where I stand 2 months from now.

I'm pretty robotic when it comes to my day to day routines, so it's tough to change my diet and my whole schedule all at once.

stan23 said:
Calyel - thanks for chiming in with your expertise. I originally wanted to give myself at least 6-months of training before attempting a marathon, but running one in March would be cutting it really close.. I'll still try though. I will probably know where I stand 2 months from now.

I'm pretty robotic when it comes to my day to day routines, so it's tough to change my diet and my whole schedule all at once.
The other option is to do an intermediate one working up to the big finale. Like do a Half Marathon in March, then do a full in June/July. Doing a Half will keep you motivated and keep you in check and also will tell you how much your improving. training for 6 months straight is quite difficult without something to look forward to in the middle.

cardinal03 said:
Injury question: my friend was running a half marathon, at mile 11 her knee began to hurt. Region is at about 3 o'clock on her knee, hurting around the knee cap and slightly under. She can't go to the doctor because she is silly and doesn't have health insurance (see my "Health Insurance for Poor People" thread).

Any thoughts/pain remedies? I've already told her to stay off it. It's bad enough that she can't run for more than ten minutes.

Stay off it. I have had knee injuries for thirty years and that recipe keeps me running. Even if I have to take a month or three off. TAKE IBUPROFEN

Back