• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

CityBikeMike said:
Muddy Buddy was FUN :)

2886754-mb17.jpg

Mike,

I was just reading about the event and it looked like a blast! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hmmm.....what time Joel?

How far?

I was thinking of doing a 6-8miler on Christmas morning:)

What kinda pace per mile is a "C" pace?

:laughing

I actually slept in this morning. ;)

Up at 4:45am and in the pool at 5:15.
Swam for about 30 minutes and then a spin class right after.
My transition time sucked since I took a shower between the pool and bike. :laughing.

-ak-

^What no running?:laughing

I haven't swam in almost 2 months:wow...I will definitely get back into it within the next couple of weeks.

And now that the days are starting to get "longer" again, I will be at AP in the mornings after the holidays.

Atak Kat said:
I'm running this afternoon. :p

Did they finally get rid of that bite-happy seal?

I'm gonna squeeze in a run this afternoon before I head out this evening:p

I've been told that the sealion visits the lagoon from time to time.....but people are no longer 'on the menu':laughing

I took my new kicks for it's maiden run last night. I did a 4 miler, but my right knee started to bug me. I dunno if it's the shoes. The left leg felt very fresh.

The one thing I noticed is that I got 1/2 size bigger shoe, and it fits kinda loose.. like my heal lifts up from the shoe moreso than before. (it was recommended that I get 1/2 size bigger)

I'll run again tonight and see whats up.

stan23 said:
I took my new kicks for it's maiden run last night. I did a 4 miler, but my right knee started to bug me. I dunno if it's the shoes. The left leg felt very fresh.

The one thing I noticed is that I got 1/2 size bigger shoe, and it fits kinda loose.. like my heal lifts up from the shoe moreso than before. (it was recommended that I get 1/2 size bigger)

Stop at the first sign of tightness/pain in the knee. Don't try to tough it out like I did.

I wouldn't exactly call it pain or tightness. Just not as fresh as the left leg. I didn't want to risk it, so I stoped at 4 miles.

Tonight, i'm doing weights, so i'll give me legs a chance to rest.

m_asim said:
Stop at the first sign of tightness/pain in the knee. Don't try to tough it out like I did.
+1. A little ice on the knee right after the run helps too.

-ak-

stan23 said:

I am no professional so if someone knows better than feel free to chime in.

The 1/2 size bigger should not be the problem. In everyday shoes i wear a 10-10.5 and my running shoes are 11.5 and i do not have the problem of the heel lifting. It appears to me that you may have got sold on the newest, latest and greatest technology for a high price. How many different pairs of shoes did you try on? Did you go into the store and ask to try on the Asic's GT series and stay focused on them because everyone here recommends them? Your foot is different than somebody elses. I'm sure the Asic's GT series are top of the line shoes, however, they may not be for you.

When i first got fitted for running shoes i tried on about 12-15 different pairs of several different brand names and models. I walked in them, took a short jog in them and took my time asking questions and feeling the shoes out. I went with the shoe that fit my foot and category, additionally, the one that was the most comfortable. I ended up with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6. At the time it was by far the best shoe for me. Prior to these shoes i was getting weird little pains in my ankles, knees, etc. which have all gone away.

So how did your second run in them go?

SWETNGBLTS said:
I am no professional so if someone knows better than feel free to chime in.

The 1/2 size bigger should not be the problem. In everyday shoes i wear a 10-10.5 and my running shoes are 11.5 and i do not have the problem of the heel lifting. It appears to me that you may have got sold on the newest, latest and greatest technology for a high price. How many different pairs of shoes did you try on? Did you go into the store and ask to try on the Asic's GT series and stay focused on them because everyone here recommends them? Your foot is different than somebody elses. I'm sure the Asic's GT series are top of the line shoes, however, they may not be for you.

When i first got fitted for running shoes i tried on about 12-15 different pairs of several different brand names and models. I walked in them, took a short jog in them and took my time asking questions and feeling the shoes out. I went with the shoe that fit my foot and category, additionally, the one that was the most comfortable. I ended up with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6. At the time it was by far the best shoe for me. Prior to these shoes i was getting weird little pains in my ankles, knees, etc. which have all gone away.

So how did your second run in them go?

I went to a running store that sold no specific brand. The employee analyzed my run, and brought out 5 pairs of shoes for me, he had me run in each pair alternating with different shoes for my left and right foot for a more direct comparison.

I blindly choose the Asics, as they felt the best for me.

I did not know Mike and Roxy had Asics as well, until I revisited this thread.

My 2nd run faired better, but I will still keep looking for shoes as I know it is a trail and error process and I hear it's best to alternate your running shoes.

stan23 said:

My 2nd run faired better, but I will still keep looking for shoes as I know it is a trail and error process and I hear it's best to alternate your running shoes.

When you tried on the shoes was your heel lifting in them then? There's also different heel sizes on each shoe. Narrow, medium etc. Try a different sock, maybe that'll help. Good to hear that the second run went better. Keep pluggin away.

Anyone wanna go for a run New Years Eve/Day (Sunday or Monday)?

No preference.
Any time, any place, any distance.
I just want to get out, run, and have some fun. :)

-ak-

I'm not exactly sure how my training will pan out this weekend....

I'm running this evening after I get off work....6-8miler

tomorrow a 9-10miler in the morning....depending on how I feel when I get up...maybe more than 10, maybe less...we'll see...

Depending on how far I run tomorrow will determine Sunday's distance, IF I run at all...

I definitely wanna run on NY's morning......*crossing fingers* that I don't get too hammered the night before:laughing

Back