In memories of Craig Hightower, 7/20/1961 - 8/14/2007

88tbone

Rather be riding
Moto(s)
cruisers make me sleepy
Name
Michele
A motorcyclist who was a great friend of mine was killed on his way to work this morning. The only thing I know right now is the accident involved an SUV. As too many of us know, losing a friend this way sux. Since it hasn't actually sunk in yet, the sadness hasn't hit yet and I'm at a loss for finding something to occupy myself with. Does the CHP delete info on fatalities from their accident log? I'm not finding anything on their traffic incident log.

Don't think any of you knew him as I don't think he was a member of this forum. I'm guessing it happened on 880 as the cyclist, Craig Hightower was an engineer for the FAA working at their Fremont site.

In addition to street riding, Craig enjoyed dirt riding, motorcycle racing, kayaking, travel, barbecuing, participating in breast cancer benefits and dining with friends. He was extremely close with his family, owns a house in Alameda as well as rental property in Arizona. He is survived by his parents, girlfriend Laurel, two cats and lots of friends. He was a member and past president of the SF Northstars and founded a group of motorcyclists who gathered weekly for dinner, jokes, bike talk and adventure. He was also active with the Motogirlies. Craig was one of my favorite riders, unafraid of popping wheelies with me on back. He will be sorely missed.

RIP 7/20/61 - 8/14/07

http://www.backroadsboogie.com/intro.htm

***Edit by Budman***
If you wish to pass a message directly to Craig's Parents please
go here: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=215250

CRAIG GBNF

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. SUVs are so hard to deal with in a collision. If colliding with a car, there is a chance one can jump over. SUVs are like trying to jump a building.

So sad another bro is down. He seemed like he lived life to the fullest.

:rose

RIP

:rip :rose

I am so sorry to read this. I remember reading his stuff in Streetbike. It's shocking really. My condolences to you and all others close to him.

Last edited:
They do not delete fatality info. However, as time goes on, incidents that are no longer active will drop off the site.

The best you can do is look under "Filed Incidents" and get to about 10-12 hours back (IIRC), but after that the info is gone.

And sorry to hear about your friend.

Re: Rider killed this morning in accident with SUV

88tbone said:
A motorcyclist who was a great friend of mine was killed on his way to work this morning. The only thing I know right now is the accident involved an SUV. As too many of us know, losing a friend this way sux. Since it hasn't actually sunk in yet, the sadness hasn't hit yet and I'm at a loss for finding something to occupy myself with. Does the CHP delete info on fatalities from their accident log? I'm not finding anything on their traffic incident log.

Don't think any of you knew him as I don't think he was a member of this forum. I'm guessing it happened on 880 as the cyclist, Craig Hightower was an engineer for the FAA working at their Fremont site.

In addition to street riding, Craig enjoyed dirt riding, motorcycle racing, kayaking, travel, barbecuing, participating in breast cancer benefits and dining with friends. He was extremely close with his family, owns a house in Alameda as well as rental property in Arizona. He is survived by his parents, a brother, sister and girlfriend, two cats and lots of friends. He was a member and past president of the SF Northstars and founded a group of motorcyclists who gathered weekly for dinner, jokes, bike talk and adventure. Craig was one of my favorite riders, unafraid of popping wheelies with me on back. He will be sorely missed.

http://www.backroadsboogie.com/intro.htm

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear that Craig is gone.

Didn't know him personally but I read his blog because of his enormous support of motogirlies. His comment on how he could hear from his backyard the noise made from motorcycles and cars drag racing, where the two young riders were killed last Thursday, was strikingly interesting.

:rip Craig. He seemed a great guy. And his love for motorcycles seemed profound.

these are the crash threads that terrify me. responsible areostich-wearing adults (did you see his mileage calculator? nearly 400,000 carefully tabulated miles!)...about as much experience as one can get (dirt, track, etc) and still falls prey to an SUV.

what a character...what a loss.

The Oakland Tribune has a blurb on how the Oakland police this morning closed the streets near the 880 Jackson Street onramp due to a fatal accident. Don't know but that's possibly where Craig would have accessed 880, driving down Seventh, between Jackson and Madison.

I met Craig when I first bought my bike and the salesperson recommended meeting up with the motogirlies. He was very friendly and a source of endless information about riding. He will be missed.

RIP Craig

:rip

this is absolutely tragic news....the community has lost one of the "greats".

words can't express what a tremendous loss the two wheel community has seen today.

My thoughts and prayers are with all near and dear to Craig.

I guess the OPD is still trying to contact Craig's family, because the updated Oakland Tribune story doesn't identify him:

UPDATE: Motorcyclist dies in downtown Oakland accident
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Article Last Updated: 08/14/2007 01:03:11 PM PDT

OAKLAND - A man was killed Tuesday morning near Chinatown when the motorcycle he was riding was brushed by a SUV causing it to hit a parked car and eject him into a retaining wall, police said.

The name of the dead man, a 42-year-old Alameda resident, was not released pending notification of relatives.

The name of the SUV driver, who police said was a Coast Guard enlisted man, was not released.

The incident happened about 6 a.m. in the 100 block of Seventh Street, between Jackson and Madison streets.

Traffic Officer James Gordon said both vehicles had come out of the Posey Tube into Oakland from Alameda and were going eastbound on Seventh Street.

He said the Coast Guard member told police he was on his way to work at Government Island in Alameda and that police believe the motorcyclist was also on his way to work, but they are not sure where.

Gordon said the motorcyclist was in the extreme right lane which the SUV — a Chevrolet Equinox — was trying to get into.

He said the preliminary investigation indicates the SUV apparently brushed the motorcycle, making it hit a parked vehicle and jump a curb where the rider was ejected into a cinder block wall, causing fatal injuries.

The SUV driver was questioned and released pending further investigation.

I've known Craig for over 6 years and have been on many rides with him. He is one of the most experienced riders I've ever met. I can't believe this could happen to him of all people. I just had dinner with him and some other friends last week at Lanesplitter in Berkeley. First time I'd seen him in close to a year. I can't believe it was the last time ever.

Craig was also one of the kindest and most giving people on this planet. There is nothing he wouldn't do to help someone in need. He loved his family, his friends and ESPECIALLY his cats. His passion for motorcycling and kayaking took him far and wide and he loved to write about his adventures on his Backroads Boogie website.

This world has lost one of the best. I am truly heartstricken and send my deepest regrets to those closest to him.

We love you, Craig. You are forever remembered.

Evelyn

masameet said:
He said the preliminary investigation indicates the SUV apparently brushed the motorcycle, making it hit a parked vehicle and jump a curb where the rider was ejected into a cinder block wall, causing fatal injuries.

That account is fucking nauseating.

I just love it when some cocksucker in a monster SUV merges in and on a bike and gives that "SORRY, I JUST DIDN'T SEE YOU ASSHOLE" look when the rider honks.

I drive a pickup truck for work, and I have NO problem seeing motorcycles.

There's just no fucking excuse for this.

10 years ago, this is the man that got me to say:

"I want to do what he does."

Now, I wish I could have attended the weekly dinner more often. There are no words to describe my sadness.

I wish you all the twisty and hot springs on the other side.

I want to do a memorial ride for Craig. Don't want it to be my first motogirlies event. But perhaps it is fitting, I don't know.

(Gosh, and I'm crying for him now and I didn't even know him. I'm going to miss his insights and the spirit that emanates from his writings.)

RIP fellow rider

I am truly sorry to have heard of this, i travelk the same roads the same times every morning, on my way to work in downtown Oakland.

It is very saddening to read this....

RIP :rip :angel

Paco
Hooligans Mc

Michelle,

How do you feel about moving this thread to General? I am sure there are quite a few folks who know Craig on BARF. We could also edit the title to identify Craig. From the read of Laurel's email, his parents have been informed.

Let me know.

I knew Craig since 1988 or 1989, rode with him on the Sunday Morning Ride, dual sport rides, and teamed with him in two AFM four-hour endurance races. I lost touch with him when I faded away from street riding following the deaths of three riders, two friends, in a single 1994 SMR incident caused by others' negligence.

Now that I'm back on a street bike after 12 years, and back to almost getting taken out by negligent twits, this happens to Craig, who had much more riding experience than I. Damn.

(Why is this thread in the LEO forum?)

Back