• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

In memories of Craig Hightower, 7/20/1961 - 8/14/2007

All: On Sunday afternoon many individuals and representatives of local social riding clubs and motorcycles clubs showed to pay tribute to Craig Hightower in a very positive fashion. Motorgirlies, North Stars, Oakland Motorcycle Club, Wrecking Crew, South Bay Riders showed up and there were more smiles and laughs than tears--which is exactly what our friend Craig would have wanted.

The Slide show is still growing as people add more photographs, and comments. Craig's family is viewing this album as it is updated. It is a little more positive then it originally was layed out. Take a moment to share a thought and add a comment.

Again if you would like to add a picture of you and Craig out on the road in an adventure, please email me at Motovelo@sbcglobal.net

here is a link to a very positive lens on Craig's life...please leave your comments there so his family can enjoy a look in their loved ones life.

Ride safe out there everyone, most importantly have fun.

http://www.slide.com/r/PMyupSD_yz8P1O2JMHkORIpKMxZZxyF6?view=original

Last edited:
Farewell

3351113-craig.jpg

Valgar said:
Denise,

Didn't Craig come out for at least one of the ba.moto/rec.moto lunches at Alices?

I've long since lost any of the photos that were taken at those, but figure someone might still have them laying about.

Hm, I believe he did. I don't have a photo from that, though. Hopefully someone does!

Re: Emails to the Coast Guard...

can41 said:
Hi Folks-

Lastly, I had a bunch of stickers printed up a while ago that I have always given out to motorcyclists for free. They say,

"Watch for Motorcycles
There are no Fender Benders"

If anyone wants one and is riding around Rt 1 in Marin (I'm up on Panoramic by the Mountain Home Inn), please let me know. Furthermore, if there is anyone who can drop some off at Lanesplitters or the like and can come and get them, I have about 50 left to donate. Please put them on cars, however. I'd hate for them to end up in a drawer when they could save someone next time.

Cindy

Cindy,

If you have any stickers left, is there some way we can get them on Sat. 9/1? For those of us participating in the Memorial Ride who want to put them on our cages? Here's a link to the ride info. thank you.
--Michele

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214823&perpage=15&pagenumber=11

Craig's crash site

All,

I visited the crash site this morning and was deeply touched by the plaque someone had tooled and attached to the wall there. Whoever you are, this was truly a wonderful thing for you to do.

someone has also gathered up the flowers, candles, pictures and other tributary items into a large box.

Thank you to the people who continue to honor Craig and reflect on what he gave us as individuals and as a community.

-Michele
ba-eastbay Yahoo (dinner) group

Hi Michele-

You guys will be in my neck of the woods that day so I'm going to try to make it.
I didn't know Craig (that I know of) and I'm really sorry to have missed the chance.
But I'd like to meet his friends, for sure!

I'll bring the stickers with me and anyone who is game for putting them on their cages is welcome to them!
This is definatly a case of "the more the merrier"!

I'll be riding a light blue-silver BMW F650GS with a bright green/yellow vest and red helmet (redlining the dork-o-meter but at least people see me.)

Thanks Michele,
Cindy

Last edited:
If anyone has photos of Craig being Craig, as well as photos of the memorial (I know the first few days see the most in additions, and after that public works people generally start taking things away), I would like to get a small library together, both for publication in CityBike for follow-up stories on him and the accident investigation, and also to put together on a CD for those who want to remember him photographically. I was part of a small-scale version of this for Melinda Moore (Big Red), and also ran/run the website (in my sig). I'd like to make as many pics as possible made available to as many people as possible.

If you don't catch up with me on the ride (I'll be riding a matte black ratted Zephyr 550, red '7' on the tail, and I'll be wearing Kelly green Vansons with a yellow exclamation point on the left forearm, and an Arai Signet GT/R "Springer" replica ), please email me at espresso (underscore) doppio (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Wow, I remember that day. I rode with Craig, raced with Craig, and hung out with Craig. He was a grand and great guy and is still missed. I can't believe it's been this long. Many of us met via Steve Mitoma's "Performance and Design" shop. RIP to Steve as well.

I think of Craig often. He was my commute buddy, that Blackbird splitting through traffic like a surgeon’s scalpel.

I stopped posting a yearly tribute as I was made aware it was a painful reminder to some.

I sure hope there’s an afterlife; folks like Craig were far too alive to be gone for good.

Craig and I met a few times over the years, back in the Olden Days when ba.motorcycle and alt.sportbike and rec.motorcycle were how riders often connected.
He gave me some tips on website for my now defunct moto-rama.com site, when he was still keeping backroads boogie up.

He was a very positive guy, and a great ambassador of motorcyling in general. I found his passing to be hard to accept. The whole bad things happening to good people bitter irony.

I seem to recall he also frequented BARF. There should be some postings archived here, but I can't seem to find many.

Here's a little bit of ba.moto history re: Craig. https://groups.google.com/g/ba.motorcycles/c/1rIQsA2eGQU/m/T4CbCjsHo0IJ

Last edited:
Back