• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

In memories of Craig Hightower, 7/20/1961 - 8/14/2007

thanks to everyone who has shared, whether they knew Craig or not. Sorry to have left out Motogirlies. Craig was definitely a big fan of you ladies.

thanks for the update, masameet. this could be Craig, minor detail is in the age. he celebrated his 46th b-day last month. really horrific. and something I doubt even the most bestest of all riders could have avoided. which is definitely the only way it coulda gone down. damn that SUV driver and that friggin' retaining wall. eff eff eff.

masameet said:
I guess the OPD is still trying to contact Craig's family, because the updated Oakland Tribune story doesn't identify him:

UPDATE: Motorcyclist dies in downtown Oakland accident
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Article Last Updated: 08/14/2007 01:03:11 PM PDT

OAKLAND - A man was killed Tuesday morning near Chinatown when the motorcycle he was riding was brushed by a SUV causing it to hit a parked car and eject him into a retaining wall, police said.

The name of the dead man, a 42-year-old Alameda resident, was not released pending notification of relatives.

The name of the SUV driver, who police said was a Coast Guard enlisted man, was not released.

The incident happened about 6 a.m. in the 100 block of Seventh Street, between Jackson and Madison streets.

Traffic Officer James Gordon said both vehicles had come out of the Posey Tube into Oakland from Alameda and were going eastbound on Seventh Street.

He said the Coast Guard member told police he was on his way to work at Government Island in Alameda and that police believe the motorcyclist was also on his way to work, but they are not sure where.

Gordon said the motorcyclist was in the extreme right lane which the SUV — a Chevrolet Equinox — was trying to get into.

He said the preliminary investigation indicates the SUV apparently brushed the motorcycle, making it hit a parked vehicle and jump a curb where the rider was ejected into a cinder block wall, causing fatal injuries.

The SUV driver was questioned and released pending further investigation.

NoGall said:
Michelle,

How do you feel about moving this thread to General? I am sure there are quite a few folks who know Craig on BARF. We could also edit the title to identify Craig. From the read of Laurel's email, his parents have been informed.

Let me know.

Hi NoGall,

yes, please do move this thread wherever appropriate and go ahead with the identification. Craig was definitely known and well-respected in the EB. His parents could be out of town, out of the country... I think it would be safe to assume they wouldn't be finding out via BARF.

thanks.

Michele

Damn this sucks. A friend who also knew Craig passed the accident scene on his way into work this morning and sent a mail out to his friends for everyone to be careful.
About an hour ago he found out it was Craig.

Craig was truly a Good Man.

johnk

If the SUV driver was in the wrong, there should be some hell to pay IMO. I am at a loss as to why or how someone should be blamed, it just doesn't seem right that a veteran rider should be taken out so suddenly and unexpectedly and that it be by a unattentive SUV driver. :mad

Rest In Peace..........

Big time bummer. I just heard from my brother. He knew Craig and my brother's wife was good friends with Craig.

Leaving this world is inevitable. But leaving it too soon is sad. We know it happens sometimes, but it still don't seem right.

Ride safe.

I didn't want to post this too soon, as I wasn't sure whether or not it was public knowledge that the accident was Craig's. He's going to be missed in many various circles. A very experienced rider, it only points out that no matter how much skill you have, sometimes it isn't enough.

The Wednesday motorcycle dinners are going to be a little somber for a while now.

Craig was central to both my introduction to riding and to racing. The whole thing is very shocking and I'll miss him greatly.

RIP.

I almost got squashed by a panel truck in the very same spot this morning... there but for the grace etc.

Wow...this one really hurts.
Posted by Nemo Brinker
Requiescat in pace, Craig...
Ditto

God dammit. Sounded like such a nice fella...Nobody pays attention anymore on the road, everyone drives as though their they own the streets, no signals, no looking... Its quite disconcerting to say the least.

RIP and condolences to his family.

This is shocking and very saddening to me. I knew Craig pretty well. He was one of the most skilled riders I've known, at all kinds of riding--dirt, street, racing, long-distance, you name it. I'll always remember the epic overnight, over-the-Sierras-to-Buckeye Hot Springs ride he organized for a group of us, and the wine-tasting day when he rented a van and volunteered to be the designated driver for another bunch of us, and the "pickle van" at Laguna Seca. He was always full of humor and generous with his accumulated knowledge.

Whoever is in the know, please post details of the arrangements here as they develop. I'm going to plan on attending. In fact, I think it would be great if everyone who's attending who's reading this would ride to his memorial service, so we can send him off with a parade of bikes. I think he'd like that.

He's riding a twisty road to the best hot spring in the universe right now. RIP, Craig. I'll miss you.

Godspeed Craig:rose

Seems he was well thought of and respected.

Best wishes to all of you that called him a friend....and to I am sure a devestated family.

:smoking

RIP

i'm a pretty new rider and never met or even heard of him before now but it sounds like he was a pretty caring person and a rider than almost anyone could have learned alot from. my condolences to his friends and family :(

AFM732 said:
Whoever is in the know, please post details of the arrangements here as they develop. I'm going to plan on attending. In fact, I think it would be great if everyone who's attending who's reading this would ride to his memorial service, so we can send him off with a parade of bikes. I think he'd like that.

Agreed. Craig's services need some leather^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hstitches at them. I was trying to figure out if I had contact information for you Denise, figured you'd want to know.

Last edited:
AFM732 said:

I never met Craig, though I was marginally aware of some of his writings. From the testimonials put forth in this thread alone, it's clear that this man was cherished by his friends and a huge asset to the moto community.

"Stranger" or not, I would be honored to take part in a memorial ride.

RIP, brother :rose

I never rode with Craig but my teammate and I went to his house in Alameda a few years ago to buy some old GSXR bikes 'n' bits....his freaking garage was like a first-gen GSXR parts warehouse, I was shocked.

Sigh. Rest in peace man.

Back