Layed her down.

with age comes experience and hopefully wisdom. and I'm saying that about the parking excuse! dang does everyone use that one 'cause I could've used it a long time ago :laughing

you might get some flack about what happened but it's to be expected from the sage's (we all btdt as newbs!). you didn't know any better. heck, the first dealer I visited nearly had me out the door on a new liter bike and I hadn't been riding for years! sell sell sell. so I got my trusty six - and still tipped it like an idiot on the first night :p LOL.

keep the good attitude up. stick around here. go to class. read motorcycle riding books. keep going but not pushing your luck and build up the smooth miles not necessarily the fast miles while you're learning to ride. heck you're still breaking it in for that matter. doc wong appears to have started a mentoring program that may be of interest.

good luck - take it slow. someone with just a few months experience recently lost their life on a bike like this.

now you know what's up.

Hey Vento,

I think that crashes are inevitable, although there are certainly exceptions. I think the point many are trying to get across is that if you choose to buy a gixxer as your first bike (and again, I damn near bought a Tele, too) you really REALLY need to take it easy.

I bought my first bike just a YEAR ago, although I'd ridden others before. Believe me, the temptation was there to buy the latest and greatest super sport. Instead I bought a brand new 9 year old model (ZX6E), rode it until I was dragging parts, took it to the track, and crashed it into a guard rail the very next weekend. Knowing I was only going to push harder (but on the track from now on) I bought a brand new GSX-R600 and started ordering parts to fix the Kawi (out-of-pocket, not through insurance)

Stepping up to the Sixxer after wrecking my Kawi put me right back to square one in terms of learning to ride the bike. The Zook is a very intimidating machine in any flavor -- 600, 750, 1000. Even "upgrading" from another 600 I was immediately taken aback by its power, handling, and braking.

Likely2Bairborn is riding a Sixxer as his first bike because he got an amazing deal on it. Ever since I first met him he has underlined his intention to tip-toe up the learning curve. Sounds like your unfortunate event has you in that position now.

Summary: you bought one hell of a machine for a first bike. No one's really passing judgment on you, but I think you're in a position in which you can expect to be clowned on just a little by those that constantly try to warn new riders away from such machinery.
Conclusion: now you can share your experience w/ newbies asking for advice. You have a first-hand story to share w/ them that you can now use to talk the next guy OUT of buying a Sixxer first, and steer them towards a used machine, as well.

Learn from the criticism, learn from the experience, and strive to be a better rider for however long you ride. You're totally welcome here, we all sympathize w/ you (at varying levels, obviously), and still look forward to seeing your battle-scarred Movistar on Tuesday. :D

Oh yeah - I almost forgot - based on what happened, or at least how you described it, I think that you'd benefit tremendously from learning the concept of counter steering. You could have easily made that turn, you just didn't know how.

theSteveCo said:
Oh yeah - I almost forgot - based on what happened, or at least how you described it, I think that you'd benefit tremendously from learning the concept of counter steering. You could have easily made that turn, you just didn't know how.

which they'll teach you in the MSF course. :D

ya, i bought the sixxer as my 1st bike and i regret not getting used as my 1st. it also cried out to me that i must ride it off the dealer's lot. bought it right after i got my license which i got after my MSF course. superbike 600 class is definitely not a starter bike.

they really should have a tier system like in europe or australia. anyone new to riding has to ride something w/ less than 250cc as their 1st bike for a yr. or 2 then move up gradually. they also should make better looking 250s here. the ninja while a great starter bike just doesn't have that eye candy that newbies want. if they somehow bring the NSR, TZ, RGVs (maybe an inline4 or smallish twin ver.) here that would be very cool and get more newbies to ride those instead cause let's face it, most newbies buy bikes like they're buying sportscars, for looks and to pose w/ rather than ride it to their limits safely on the track.

Mstingray said:
it's not the telefonica but i have a month old set of 2001 blue/white sixxer fairings (everything but the chain guard) that i want to get rid of. i'm not going to *give* them away, cause i *really* need the $ but i'll be happy to sell em for a discount (compared to dealer cost). at minimum, any dealer will have you wait a week for the parts to arrive (they all have them shipped from the same place).

I got a friend with an 02 GixSix that just went down today who might be interested in some of your parts.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys for all the input. I never really take anything on these internet boards very seriously and am not even in the slightest hurt by what some mystry guy on the internet says about me. But heck I can flame with the best of them if you know what I mean. Yah I prolly shouldve bought a used bike for the first time, but it was kinda of an impulse buy. When I saw the Tele I couldnt resist. Ohh well its one hell of an expensive mistake. But I really do live by the terms of live and learn. And believe me I did learn a few things that morning.

FYI im 26yo and am not some punk kid. I got the hot doggin and showing off out of me a long time ago in my car. Which also cost me alot of money to learn my lessons on. In that case I went from a Hon-duhh to the current Vw I now own. If any of you guys went to HIN you might have seen my car there. Its a blue mk3 jetta with white 17" wheels, touring wing, and CF hood. I was the only third gen jetta there, and was parked in the Redwood Hall along with a bunch of other euro cars.

Ohh yah isnt CF the best??? I have frame sliders on order along with a CF rear hugger w/ chain guard.

Vento..It is all good. :D Follow the MSF and restraint and you'll be okay...My 18 year old son wanted a street bike real bad a year ago. I bought him a dirt bike and told him come back after you have fallen 10 times and can ride the snot out of the bike and we'll talk.. My first bike a Yamaha Mini Enduro..CZ 250...to a RD 350 at 15 -1/2 .. then back to dirt for my early 20's racing RM's and later 20's back to the street bikes and the AFM. I have been riding now for 35 years and my Track bike is a 600. Plenty of steam to get my Jollies..The throttle control all, but the others on the road so you have the power as you said.
My best advice for new riders is the same as for my son.
Starting in the dirt makes you a much better street rider. I still head out for the dirt stuff and fall down :eek , but the control of your mind when a little out of control on the bike is invaluable. It tranfers directly over to not being freaked out should you have a little INCIDENT on the street. Plus it is a blast!! :burnout
Enjoy the MSF keep da cool :eek:ld-cool and watch for the other guy.
He or she doesn't give a hoot about us :twofinger only getting to where there going or the phone call their making etc...
Ride smart!

Budman, I'm behind you all the way. My son is 13, and has been riding dirt for 3 years. He started racing YSRs last year, and he will probably do his first track day(novice school) next year on his moms ninja 250. My intent is not to make him racer boy, but to prepare him for when and if he decides to ride on the sreet.

superhawk2000 said:
Budman, I'm behind you all the way. My son is 13, and has been riding dirt for 3 years. He started racing YSRs last year, and he will probably do his first track day(novice school) next year on his moms ninja 250. My intent is not to make him racer boy, but to prepare him for when and if he decides to ride on the sreet.
Sounds Smart! :D Let me know when and where he'll be doing the YSR thing and maybe I can get there to watch..Would be cool :eek:ld-cool Anything that can make you better before hitting the public roads is a HUGE benefit..
have a good one Hawk! :burnout

theSteveCo said:
Hey Vento,

I think that crashes are inevitable, although there are certainly exceptions. I think the point many are trying to get across is that if you choose to buy a gixxer as your first bike (and again, I damn near bought a Tele, too) you really REALLY need to take it easy.

Likely2Bairborn is riding a Sixxer as his first bike because he got an amazing deal on it. Ever since I first met him he has underlined his intention to tip-toe up the learning curve. Sounds like your unfortunate event has you in that position now.

Summary: you bought one hell of a machine for a first bike. No one's really passing judgment on you, but I think you're in a position in which you can expect to be clowned on just a little by those that constantly try to warn new riders away from such machinery.
Conclusion: now you can share your experience w/ newbies asking for advice. You have a first-hand story to share w/ them that you can now use to talk the next guy OUT of buying a Sixxer first, and steer them towards a used machine, as well.

Learn from the criticism, learn from the experience, and strive to be a better rider for however long you ride. You're totally welcome here, we all sympathize w/ you (at varying levels, obviously), and still look forward to seeing your battle-scarred Movistar on Tuesday. :D

Getting clowned a lil sure not a problem... this is a turn I have practiced on and that morning I was in a rush and I took it with a lil more spped than I usually do. So yah I showed my inexperience by not being able to give enough countersteering to avoid the curb. Lesson learned. As far as giving advice I really dont think I should be givign advice to anyone, unless they wanna know how to go into a curb.. hehehhee

I love the bike... driving is car is now just so wierd to me. I actually drove into work this morning cus I need to do some work to it and it was soo strange sitting in it after not driving it for a couple of days. I have this strange feeling that my car milage wont be going up very much for the rest of the year.

Vento -

All the great words of wisdom have already been pretty much said twice if not three times. I too bought a brand new bike, only a SV, but still brand new and have laid it down. I don't regret it either, but if I went back, I'd have bought used also.

You know you should take the MSF course, but, you should also do some reading. A few great books I read were The MSF's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence, Street Strategies : A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists, and Proficient Motorcycling : The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well.

Check these out... all great books. Helped me alot.

Hey TedSki thanks for the info... going to borders or barnes and noble after I get outta work and check them out....

Hey ryanb thanks for the contructive critism....

No problem! I'm here to offer what I can.

You have no idea how my bike was setup do you???

"Setup"? How do you mean? Like, suspension-wise? Did you tweak it? Tire pressures? Bar-risers? Rear-sets? I mean, it's a bone-stock 2002 Telefonica replica Suzuki GSX-R600, right? What is there about the "setup" I'm not understanding?

So back the hell up.... and get a clue. I owned the bike for more than one day, and I did not throw the bike away. I scratched some plastic, big deal. I have the money and the time to afford new plastic.

Back up? You admitted it was an "impulse buy" to get the latest/greatest supersport 600 for your first bike. You do admit this was a mistake, dont you? EVERYONE HERE will say that a GSX-R600 is way too much bike for a newbie to motorcycling. All I said was that you made a poor decision, to say the least, in purchasing it for your very first motorcycle. You haven't taken the MSF course. Do you even have a valid class M license? Also, for posterities sake, just exactly how many days *did* you own it before you munched it?

Now here is some constructive critism for you. You are a bigger tool... as a matter of fact why dont we just call you Ace from now on out... and if your too slow to figure out what that means, let me spell it out for you Ace as in the Ace hardware store. Now why dont you stop being a drag on society and get a job you welfare, food stamp, living at home mommas boy. Im sick and tired of paying the amount of taxes I do supporting your dumb ass. Now go away.

?????? huh??? Yer not making sense. How am I a bigger tool? I'm a more experienced rider giving some rough criticism to you, for (trying to) riding a bike that is far, far beyond your skills at this point. Are you trying to interject some sort of bon bot or something with the Ace Hardware/Welfare/Momma's boy comment? You pay taxes to support me? WTF are you going on about?

Stick to the topic: You bought a bike way over your head, and it bit you due to your inexperience.

Ryan

umh, I thought Tool was a band.
I love their music and lyrics and all.

Since when did that word refer to something negative?

Melissa:rsrai

Melissa said:
umh, I thought Tool was a band.
I love their music and lyrics and all.

Since when did that word refer to something negative?

Melissa:rsrai

Didn't we cover this topic at Foster's Freeze today? :laughing :laughing

VentoGixxeRider said:
Hey TedSki thanks for the info... going to borders or barnes and noble after I get outta work and check them out....

If you want to save some cash I can loan you mine. I've read them twice each. That offer stands for anyone who shows up at Tuesday night Starbucks here in SJ -- just let me know beforehand so I can bring 'em.

theSteveCo said:

If you want to save some cash I can loan you mine. I've read them twice each. That offer stands for anyone who shows up at Tuesday night Starbucks here in SJ -- just let me know beforehand so I can bring 'em.

I'd be interested in barrowing one of those. I actually went to B&N today looking but couldnt find them

ryanb said:
EVERYONE HERE will say that a GSX-R600 is way too much bike for a newbie to motorcycling.

I don't know that I would go that far. It can be a handful if he's into the powerband, it took me a few months to take it that far on the first 600 I owned. Coming from automobiles, 10,000+ rpms just seemed so intimidating.

I tend to think more along the lines of it being a good idea for a new rider to buy a first bike that he or she wouldn't mind dropping a few times. For me, it would be a lot easier to stomach dropping a used EX500 / EX250 / F2 / FZR than a brand new Telefonica GSX-R600. Then again, if I were rolling in cash and surfing the techie wave to the point where $2500 / year insurance was acceptable, or $1000+ in plastic repairs for small low speed spills wasn't such a big deal, I might think differently.

But a trackday? For a new rider who is still developing basic control of handling a motorcycle on technical roads? I can't see that as a good idea. I'd start with a Doc Wong clinic and get lots of practice on public roads until I had a good handle on basic control of a sportbike, before venturing to the track.

I think it's preferable to aquaint yourself to the world of track riding by taking a track SCHOOL as opposed to an open track day for my first time. Establish some foundations in your riding skills through formal advanced performance riding training, develop on those foundations through open track days.

Heading to the track with no experience and no training is just a bad idea. Sure there are ambulances, no curbs, no oncoming traffic. Crashing still SUCKS. It's commonly accepted that speed magnifies and intensifies riding flaws. With a beginning rider, those flaws are already glaring. Magnifying those could really hurt.

Last edited:
Back