Let's build a carbon fender!

snoop GP said:
i need some help with finding out,
which type of carbon fiber to use?

i found this web site, but they have a few different type of CF

http://www.uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html

obviously the first question is what are you using it for/what are you making?

From what I could tell, it's all just different combinations of fabric weigth and weave style. (except for the tapes, which you probably don't want) Different weaves look different (duh), but they will also bend differently and allow to be elongated in different directions (trying to make a diamond out of a rectangle piece). Different weights of fiber will be more or less easy to bend around corners (think woven silk vs. woven straw) , look different ( "strands" are thicker) and will affect the number of layers you need to use to have a piece of a certain thickness (this can also affect the rigidity of the piece, depending on how you aproach cutting your layers). :nerd

i'm trying to make some heal guards like the ones people were doing on the CF seminar. Eventually i would make other items ( Exhaust shield, side tank covers) I just want to know what thickness should i get and also what weave design.

i like this look:

zeefrenchspy said:
obviously the first question is what are you using it for/what are you making?

From what I could tell, it's all just different combinations of fabric weigth and weave style. (except for the tapes, which you probably don't want) Different weaves look different (duh), but they will also bend differently and allow to be elongated in different directions (trying to make a diamond out of a rectangle piece). Different weights of fiber will be more or less easy to bend around corners (think woven silk vs. woven straw) , look different ( "strands" are thicker) and will affect the number of layers you need to use to have a piece of a certain thickness (this can also affect the rigidity of the piece, depending on how you aproach cutting your layers). :nerd

2970495-cf_piece.jpg

tygaboy said:
Crap... I got the 999R front end for the 748 project and was messing around with the front fender. It somehow found its way onto my SV project and I thought the shape really worked nicely with the lines of the bodywork. Only problem is it don't quite fit. What to do...? :confused
I know! Let's cut up this perfectly good fender and MAKE it fit! Then, just like we did with the SV tank, we'll have a plug that can be used to make a mold and then a carbon fender. Cool, let's do it.
Oh, and if you like the looks of this and you're running this same front end ('03 GSX-R 1000) or front ends that run the same fender, this 'about to be' fender will bolt right on to your bike, too.

So, first I cut the 'legs', extended them with popsicle stick and hot glue, filled it all with expanding foam, figured out the clearances and drilled the mounting hole locations to get the initial fitment...

2842511-pb230001.jpg

Hi Chris

Have you got anymore update pics on the fender you were doing from the 999 fender?

Seems the thread lots it's vision and got hijacked!

Would love to see the rest of the producation photos up to the finsihed article!

Cheers

Chris

snoop GP said:
i'm trying to make some heal guards like the ones people were doing on the CF seminar. Eventually i would make other items ( Exhaust shield, side tank covers) I just want to know what thickness should i get and also what weave design.
From the picture, it looks like plain weave, you're best bet is to PM tygaboy and ask him what weight fabric that is (probably 5oz). The overall thickness depends on how strong you need it to be, and also if you are vacuum baggin it or not. I think in that case, those where 3 layers CF, 1 layer fiberglass and the thickness came out good.

DougZ said:
OK, one set back already. I wanted to see see how the primer would sand down, and much to my surprise, its started coming off...it did sand sand a little , but then I noticed it coming off in places.

The mold is made from polyester resin, and the primer was Duplicolor high build scratch filling...any chance of thosetwo having a bonding issue?

you cleaned the mold before painting? the release compound is still there if you didn't.

antibling said:
you cleaned the mold before painting? the release compound is still there if you didn't.

Yep, that'd be true.
Molds, parts, whatever, painting is painting. Correct prep = good result.

xtasie99 said:
Cover the shipping and I'll send you some. I've got an overflowing walk-in freezer of expired and bad batches. Shoot me a pm.

Bryan

Zoiks! PM sent!

"Hey, Honey? OK with you if I toss all this frozen food?" :p

antibling said:

I think Chris told me over the phone, but again, what do I use to wash off the mold release and PVA?

Also, if the quality of the plug is perfect, eg, the stock hugger, once I make the mold, do I need to do the primering and repeated sanding?

I am actually regretting at this point, trying to paint the fender mold to make it better. It was pretty much perfect before I did the paint and primering, and not realizing about washing off the PVA/wax...my bad.

To buy the part, or to buy the stuff to make the part? I have been going back and forth with what do about this ever since I got my hands on some silver "CF" fabric, and been reading these posts. I am the type person that doesn't want to pay someone to do something I can do myself..ie, home repairs, taxes, bike work, etc.

The cost of buying the silver "CF" fender from oppracing.com is $195..with about $20 for shipping and insurance. $ 215 for that option.

Buying the west systems stuff goes as follows:
Resin: $32.95
hardener: $15.35
pumps: 11.15
vacuum kit: $ 191.25
Total: $250.70

Now the zinger is if I get the process down right, not only can I make my own parts,, but make others and sell them...ebay always has the same fender I am making, in regular CF going for $150..and they sell, a lot of them.

What to do, what to do......

DougZ said:
I think Chris told me over the phone, but again, what do I use to wash off the mold release and PVA?

Mold release wax goes on the mold. You don't wash it off. You want to keep the mold waxed. Over time, a well used mold doesn't really really even need to be rewaxed each use. I do it each time, just to be sure.
And the only stuff that comes off on the part you make is the PVA. It washes off with water.

DougZ said:
Also, if the quality of the plug is perfect, eg, the stock hugger, once I make the mold, do I need to do the primering and repeated sanding?
If the plug is perfect and your layup is perfect, the mold you make will be perfect and you can use it with no further prep other than mold release wax and PVA.

DougZ said:
To buy the part, or to buy the stuff to make the part?
Now the zinger is if I get the process down right, not only can I make my own parts,, but make others and sell them...ebay always has the same fender I am making, in regular CF going for $150..and they sell, a lot of them.

What to do, what to do......

Remember, it's basic business case stuff: IMO, if you're the new, unproven entry into a market, you need to differentiate in some "substantial" way - better, faster or cheaper - or why would anyone buy from you? Again, my perspective is that I wouldn't ever try to compete at a commodity level in a mature market. And when you can buy a fender from any of 1/2 a dozen suppliers, you're in a mature market.

xtasie99 said:
Cover the shipping and I'll send you some. I've got an overflowing walk-in freezer of expired and bad batches. Shoot me a pm.

Bryan

are you in a commercial setting or still in school? here at work we have to account for all the material for EPA regulations, can't give it away in an uncured state without paperwork. thigs are a little looser if it's already been donated to you i recon

tygaboy said:
Zoiks! PM sent!

"Hey, Honey? OK with you if I toss all this frozen food?" :p

don't forget to ask if you can "borrow" the oven ;)

Last edited:
antibling said:
are you in a commercial setting or still in school? here at work we have to account for all the material for EPA regulations, can't give it away in an uncured state without paperwork. thigs are a little looser if it's already been donated to you i recon

This is all at school. I have a freezer, and its full of stuff. We know more about whats going on than the faculty. EPA who? :laughing I dunno how we got most of it, but the most recent stuff is production screwups straight from the manuf. I think some of the older stuff is from Boeing.

Being a school is great- you don't have to deal with any of the BS that industry does, but you're official enough to get to play with some seriously cool shit. And you can beg and annoy companies, and they'll usually give in, since its for a "good cause" :angel

Back