• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Music, post it up

Scratching my head how a punk band from the early 1980's can still sound so funky 30 years later.

[youtube]bEZzJXnZSrk[/youtube]

There were some great unheralded early 80's punk bands, I always got them mixed up with the Meat Puppets.

[Youtube]Fyt-RFesitI[/youtube]

[Youtube]jfDgyEoaLw0[/youtube]

Last edited:
There were some great unheralded early 80's punk bands

Sure thing. I've never quite understood how Black Flag, the most successful SoCal punk band of the early 1980's, toured and made a lil' bit of money...then turned around and used that money to help promote The Minutemen on the SST record label.

Is that wild or what? The Minutement just plain stand out from the crowd. Not because their lead singer died in 1985, it's because they were so good.

Last edited:
Sure thing. I've never quite understood how Black Flag, the most successful SoCal punk band of the early 1980's, toured and made a lil' bit of money...then turned around and used that money to help promote The Minutemen on the SST record label.

SST (solid state transmitters) was started as an electronics hobbiest business by a teenage Greg Ginn (Black Flag). He used the revenue to put out his albumns and bands he liked on SST records. Black Flag got popular because Mr. Ginn forced all signed bands to wear Black Flag shirts, see below.

[Youtube]6-BcGcuYviM[/youtube]

SST (solid state transmitters) was started as an electronics hobbiest business by a teenage Greg Ginn (Black Flag). He used the revenue to put out his albumns and bands he liked on SST records. Black Flag got popular because Mr. Ginn forced all signed bands to wear Black Flag shirts, see below.

Sure, in the 1980's I bought the Blasting Concept II CD. This is old news to me.

What I meant, wasn't it awesome that SST helped support so much talent? :thumbup

Totally agree!

Not on SST, but were on Alternative tentacles,

Phantom Limbs
[Youtube]GEgYFIBe_tg[/youtube]

Last edited:
[youtube]8SYEh2aHtvQ[/youtube]

I can not get this band out of my head.

[youtube]pXRviuL6vMY[/youtube]

[youtube]nky4me4NP70[/youtube]

I can not get this band out of my head.

That's how music rushes work, you get all up into a band and put them on heavy rotation. Exactly how I've been with The Minutemen lately, a rush of music I hadn't listened to much in the past. Making up for lost time.

[youtube]bGo1ZOfGNv0[/youtube]

That's how music rushes work, you get all up into a band and put them on heavy rotation. Exactly how I've been with The Minutemen lately, a rush of music I hadn't listened to much in the past. Making up for lost time.

[youtube]bGo1ZOfGNv0[/youtube]

I had this same issue with Mastodon. Knew about them for the longest time, finally decided to give them a listen and can't get enough of them

[youtube]BJb1-fDgqVQ[/youtube]

I probably threw cabbage at you kids back at The Farm.

I don't think I ever went to a show at The Farm (by Subterranean records right?). They might have stopped having them around when I got to SF in 92. These guys played there I'm sure.

Rich Kids on LSD

[Youtube]Be027j7JujI[/youtube]

I don't think I ever went to a show at The Farm (by Subterranean records right?). They might have stopped having them around when I got to SF in 92. These guys played there I'm sure.

Rich Kids on LSD

Funny story. I was living in Tahoe and I convinced my local bar owner to let RKL play. They were from Reno. He shut them down after half a song! My buddy ran a hotel down the street and they played the pool cabana. Ah, the good 'ol days!

[youtube]ucPB96VAxFE[/youtube]

I never went out to music much, but I did front the house band at the Moraga Barn, drinking 101 for the Saint Marys girls, the Cantina on Park in Oakland, and the Clayton Club, in..uh..Clayton. Had some fun as I recall, and still have my original teeth, so I guess we sounded ok.

Back