• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Hey guys, I know this isn't on topic with the current discussion, but I have some somewhat recent video of my band performing live and I was hoping I could get some feedback on the music. I have some videos posted on youtube if you guys don't mind checking them out...

The rest can be found at my youtube page www.youtube.com/users/aaroncohn
Thanks for watching
1958_headbanger.gif

[youtube]k4LRjGiQOR0[/youtube]

[youtube]cF0iLDIOpVI[/youtube]

I know his amp is a Peavey JSX, but I'm not sure about the other stuff :dunno

I know his amp is a Peavey JSX, but I'm not sure about the other stuff :dunno

yeah that is a bad ass amp, one of the best from peavey. I'm looking for a cheaper tube amp now that I got rid of my Laney amp for other instruments that I am selling on ebay. If I had the $$ to spare I'd get a JCM head, but I'm looking for a poor mans version.

I'm considering a Laney Pro tube, Peavey Windsor, or Crate stealth 50

yeah that is a bad ass amp, one of the best from peavey. I'm looking for a cheaper tube amp now that I got rid of my Laney amp for other instruments that I am selling on ebay. If I had the $$ to spare I'd get a JCM head, but I'm looking for a poor mans version.

I'm considering a Laney Pro tube, Peavey Windsor, or Crate stealth 50

Consider this.... :drool

BV150H-lg.jpg

Hey guys, could you take a listen to this stuff and see what you think?

http://www.myspace.com/parklaneband

Some of the riffs sound pretty cool. The high pitched vocals found in this genre is what I don't like, also the scooped tone.

It is good within its own genre.I bet someone into that type of music like atreyu or bullet for my valentine would like it. I personally am not a fan of it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, could you take a listen to this stuff and see what you think?

http://www.myspace.com/parklaneband

Listening to "The Fallen" now. Sounds excellent. Catchy leads, good vocals that aren't annoying like the overly emo types, and there are some good vocal harmonies. The writing is clean and well organized. The musicianship is good. I really dislike the type of acoustic lead-in at the beginning of that song, but the rest is excellent.

After writing the above, I've finished listening to "The Fallen" and I'm on to "Bring You Life." It's a nice blend of styles with some good screaming and a nice heavy guitar break. It's not very thrilling for me to listen to, but it's good quality music. I can't put much negative into it.

Now I'm listening to "Hourglass" and it's off to a fairly good start. Pretty cool intro and good chorus, nice dynamics with the volume of the next parts. I like the fact that it doesn't just repeat itself heavily like most mainstream rock. The changes are very smooth and seamless just as they should be with no great disparity between the riffs of the song, but it still manages to go from heavy to soft without seeming whimpy. The soloing shreds pretty hard and the mix of guitar tone with the vocals at the end of the solo is pretty effing sweet if I must say so. Overall I think this one's my favorite so far.

"Within the storm"... hmm, starts off pretty heavy with some drum action. I like it! And hey, there's some double bass in there! Now we're talking. The bass drum's a bit boomy for that style of playing, but it's acceptable. The guitar work reminds me of Trivium. Maybe a little too much. The vocals are a little too whiny for my taste, but the singer's right on every note, so it's fine. Interesting choice of notes on the final riff... much more interesting than the cliche sounding riffs from the rest of the song. Overall it's a bit too stuck in its genre for my taste. In retrospect, I realize my own band is pretty well stuck in a thoroughly explored and not extremely interesting genre of music, so I can't fault Park Lane for that, and they are great at what they're doing. I'd listen to them, but they definitely wouldn't be on my list of favored music. That's just me, though.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, guys. It's really good to know what people think. I'm working with these guys right now and I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible and get as many people to know about them as possible because they're doing a summer tour this year. I'd love to see (and would definitely head up) a BARF group to head out to a show and I know they'd love it, too.

:bump for a dying thread. :rip

BARF threads don't die. They get resuscitated. Even years later.

Say. After you guys give a performance or jam at night, how exhausted are you the next day?

I love the endorphin rush of being in the moment while playing music. I can hear the others acutely and, though I'm still learning how to improvise, can offer some colorations with my fiddle. The solo singing and praise afterwards though are what really get me high. Too much fun. But the bummer feeling the next day is so particularly a letdown. I've experienced this twice now. Never had it before.

If this super high/super low combo has happened to you, what have you done to reach an equilibrium of sorts?

I'm considering drinking lots of chamomile tea as the next day's antidote. Dunno how effective it'll be, as it's rather mild.

Say. After you guys give a performance or jam at night, how exhausted are you the next day?

If this super high/super low combo has happened to you, what have you done to reach an equilibrium of sorts?

When I started doing shows, yea the next day it was pretty killer. My neck, back, shoulders, and legs would be sore from jumping around on stage. A few times my voice even went away. I had no remedy for it, but STRETCHING is very important. We practiced 4 nights a week, and had shows on weekends ; so we had only 1 day off a week when it all started. Eventually you just got accustomed to it and your body works itself out. On tour we spent most of the days on the bus/van driving, and we couldn't wait to get to the venue to play. After a while you'll just get the high/high combo. You'll be excited that did a great show, and rather than noticing how sore you are; you don't care.. you just can't wait til the next show.

btw, the only little "ritual" I did before a show was stretched, and ate a Hershey's bar with almonds (for a sugar rush energy boost)

BARF threads don't die. They get resuscitated. Even years later.

I love the endorphin rush of being in the moment while playing music. I can hear the others acutely and, though I'm still learning how to improvise, can offer some colorations with my fiddle. The solo singing and praise afterwards though are what really get me high. Too much fun. But the bummer feeling the next day is so particularly a letdown. I've experienced this twice now. Never had it before.

I'm considering drinking lots of chamomile tea as the next day's antidote. Dunno how effective it'll be, as it's rather mild.

Some people shake it off and go about their day, some drink a 5th of Jack to get things started, others put a shotgun to their heads and pull the trigger.

:dunno

It has everything to do with the individual. When I was gigging twice a week and practicing another 3, I didn't feel much of anything for a while. I got a little robotic, and just played...quite often on autopilot...woke up, went to work and did the same thing the very next night.

I was on a natural high the rest of the afternoon/evening @ OFG's after we played a set last year. :party

Back