• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

You can also get the best of both worlds and get a guitar that has coil splitting, with the pull of a knob it splits the humbucker coils so that you get a single coil tone.
Although some people will say that coil splitting isn't true single coil tone, it is still easily identifiable as single coil tone.

True, but by shorting a coil out you get a lot of the noise of a single coil. A more effective way to achieve a pseudo SC tone with a humbucker, without installing an actual SC in your guitar, is to switch them to parallel. Effectively, you then have the sound of two single coils side-by-side. Sounds a little stronger than cutting out one coil but not quite as "true" as a single coil. Think Angus Young.

Schteve, don't forget stacked humbuckers. I can think of one proponent of the DiMarzio YJM's... :teeth

yngwie_malmsteen_logopic.jpg

go with single coils if you want a good clean tone and don't play too much stuff requiring a lot of distortion IE hard rock, metal.

I think a good combo is a guitar that has a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the middle and in the neck position. I like having humbucker in the bridge for heavy metal, but I love the sound of a single coil in the neck with some light distortion, you can get a really cool eric clapton cream tone.

I wouldn't worry about swapping pickups on a guitar yet, first just figure out if you want single coils or humbucker.

You can also get the best of both worlds and get a guitar that has coil splitting, with the pull of a knob it splits the humbucker coils so that you get a single coil tone.
Although some people will say that coil splitting isn't true single coil tone, it is still easily identifiable as single coil tone.

Three words:

Paul Reed Smith.

Get a Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop C5 with a Bogner Head. :rofl

Anyone looking for a 4x12 cab? I have a Marshall JCM 800 lead slant cab I am looking to unload. It has celestions. The tolex is in decent shape. I have it on craigslist for $400 but I will cut a deal for BARFers. If you are interested, write me at

not.robot@yahoo.com

I've always used Sonar. i've got a bootleg copy and a good SN if you want it.

Anyone have an old drum machine laying around that you want to get rid of for a reasonable price?

Where is the best place I can get a quality guitar cable, shielded, with a nice outer covering? 30' would be fine.

I always hit up the mom&pop shops. I usually get all my cables, strings, etc.. from stores in Santa Cruz. I'm sure if you Yelp SF Music Shops, there will be one that carries great cables and decent prices.

FWIW, Monster is shit. I had 2 cables go bad on me and replaced them via warranty. I still don't use them.

You're lucky, I went through 2 and my guitarist when through 1 while we were touring. :x I'll just keep buying simple cables.

I use the standard guitar cables sold at my local music shop. 20' for $8 I don't buy into that whole monster cable bullshit at $50 or so a cable.

I just found myself a barely used Roland TD6V electronic drum kit for 700$!!!!
Comes with an extra mesh head Vdrum and a speaker amp to boot! This is from one of my brothers drum students and he doesn't play anymore, bad for him, great for me!

So stoked! No more pissing off my upstairs neighbors with my Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit! :teeth

Back