• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Hooli-I’ve never laid hands on a Solar, but the folks I know who have all say that They love em. Gotta hand it to Ola, turned a goofy YouTube deal into a seriously viable enterprise.

TZ- Careful with the Abasi stuff. If you can lay your hands on a Grover built USA instrument, great. But the spotty quality on Japanese(and now Indo I think?) builds scares me off. And that whole Falbo debacle...ugh. Can’t recommend his Fishman sig pups enough though. I sent a set to Kiesel with the wiring diagram I wanted for my ZM8 build and I just love em!

Korn- without geeking out on theory and only speaking to chord shapes...on a 7 the 7th string is a b which has the same relationship to an E as an E has to an A. So in some ways it’s not so different from a 6 relationship wise. Same with drop A tuning on 7 being similar to drop D on a 6.
On an 8 it’s again similar because the relationship of F# 8th string to the B 7th string is the same as the B to the E.
So if you play an Emaj “shape” on an 8 you get F#maj, and on a 7 you get Bmaj

As far as little tricks for tuning 7’s, here’s a fun one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5YXlRg9FE0

Or better yet, ignore my nonsense and just read The link TZ provided.:)

I've read that getting acclimated to a fan fret axe is actually pretty intuitive. Now, chording and bending on a fretboard outfitted with true temperment frets... Umm... :wtf

Renigx6.jpg

Last edited:
I’d say some music is more intonation critical than others. True Temperament seems to be filling a need and is probably most popular with modern guitarists where you find chording, arpeggiation, some counterpoint and bending via whammy bar, if at all.

Though I don’t think they’re using it, bands like Polyphia come to mind.

How do you like the Y2D? I have the original style SM model.

I only got the EBMM Steve Morse Y2D as it was on sale, but it helps that it has five pre-defined mic setups. I'm not that picky concerning experimenting with millions of pickup configs myself.

The Floyd Rose system on this guitar is one of the best I've ever had (and I have an Ibanez RG750), btw. But then the Y2D is more heavy than an SM.

Last edited:

Watched a few videos on it. I swear they're just making that shit up. :laughing

I mean, I can totally tell when a guitar is out of tune. Even just a hair. It's enough for me to hear and it drives me nuts. But intonation differences being fixed with squiggly frets? I dunno...

A guitar with standard frets will never be perfectly in tune in all positions. Compensated nuts attempt to help with this but can't correct every pitch on every string. Chord grips with wide spacing highlight the problem and so does playing with a keyboard.

Add distortion, chorus, etc. and the problem is masked. many guitar styles have a lot of wiggle room tuning wise. Play something clean, without effects with a lot of perfect intervals against any well tempered instrument and the issue is more apparent.

The reality is that anyone who thinks their standard fretted guitar is perfectly in tune also thinks their ears are better than they really are.

I know it isn't in tune perfectly...I just stopped trying to screw with it years ago. There's always been a happy medium for me and I suspect most players.

I’m super new to DAW and have been using plug-ins and the Kemper to record because it’s just so easy. But I’d like to start getting my tube amp in the mix without mic’ing and such.

Any experience and/or recommendations on a roughly $300ish loadbox/attenuator/DI that won’t color the sound?

I'm assuming you want to take output from your amp's speaker out, bypass the speaker and feed line level to your DAW where you can use different cabinet IRs. If so, you need a load box and a DI box. Palmer makes a decent combo, the PGA04. They come in a variety of resistances, most common would be 8 ohm.

The box does have filtered outputs for speaker simulation itself, but can send unfiltered line level so you can use cab IRs in your DAW.

Product review:

[YOUTUBE]_H5ggX4Eqf8[/YOUTUBE]

Thx! Appreciate the guidance...

I was completely unfamiliar with Palmer but it turns out, after following your suggestion down the rabbit hole, one of my fav artists used the PDI-03 extensively.

Seems like being able to dial in some unfiltered signal on the pga 04 would be a big plus. As would the passive aspect, and the fact I wouldn’t need yet another stupid app to run the thing.

For me, the primary use for a device like this is recording. But I wish it had an idiot proof attenuator easy button for live too. Loud just isn’t my thing anymore.:afm199

Christmas gift idea for anyone who wants to give the gift of deeper understanding: Vic Wooten’s “The Music Lesson”.

Much like music itself, Vic’s book is a gift that keeps on giving. My copy is worn, dog-eared with highlighting and notes scribbled in the margins.

Back