• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Nation-wide climate strike by students

+1 to both of ya. So many angles to improve on. Unfortunately, farming has a parallel to some other entity and to "attack" farming is to attack that entity, which means nothing is likely to change.
 
I'm pretty certain we still subsidize the meat and dairy industries? I think one huge contributor would be if we ate less meat and dairy, as far as climate change and general environmental harm.

Might as well add reducing corn subsidies and put that money into something more efficient. The production of ethanol, requires more energy to produce than you could possibly get out of it, last time I checked over a decade ago.

Yup. These subsidies are all bad and unless there is a positive replacement for these subsidies getting politicians to end them will be very difficult. Honestly, farming in general would be far, far more efficient by using hydroponics for the majority of them, and those farms can actually be stacked on multiple levels and use far less pesticide since they are indoors so you can just physically keep the bugs out. So you win on land use efficiency, pesticide cost efficiency, and soil use efficiency, plus you also have a lot more options on what you can grow and when.

The problem, as always, would be getting farmers to transfer over to using it.
 
I'm not sure you were watching the same video. There was a speed drop-off, but it was at more like 120 or 130. You can tune those motors to deliver power in a way that will put them into crazy speeds. Rimac is doing just that getting up to speeds in the of like 226 MPH.

Except for the very specific noise, there isn't much in terms of performance that an EV can't deliver but an normal engine can. On the other hand it took one of the biggest auto conglomerates over a billion dollars in money, and around a decade of dedicated time researching to make a reliable engine that delivers more than 1000 Horsepower in a supercar, in 2005. Only 11 years later Rimac, a comparatively tiny Croatian supercar manufacturer, was able to get an electric motor into the 1300 HP range in it's first production car.

Yeah, if you look to the RoA, the 0-60 is lit as fuck, but the 60-100 takes almost twice as long. :dunno Then there is the problems with heat and battery maintenance for EV at high rates of speed. No point in nitpicking details, but again, there is no clear case of EV outperforming ICE in every way. High Speed Endurance Racing Belongs to gasoline still. We were talking stock vehicles, and I know some guys are having fun doing some slow ass Cannonball Runs in EV now, but the tech just hasn't caught up there yet. Battery tech will probably need two more generations before it is better at that stuff.

If you regularly drive over 20+ MPH over the limit, ICE vs EV shouldn't be the biggest concern in your life. IMO.

:laughing

I reckon you don't drive much in the Yay Area.

:dunno
 
Last edited:
:laughing

I reckon you don't drive much in the Yay Area.

:dunno

I drove in the bay area for years and could probably count the number of times I went above 90 in my car on one hand.

A few more on the bike, but even then, not many.
 
I drove in the bay area for years and could probably count the number of times I went above 90 in my car on one hand.

A few more on the bike, but even then, not many.

Cruising speed for people on most freeways these days is 75-80mph. If you do not believe in driving in packs with people, 90mph is just necessary for passing. :dunno
 
Driving in packs of people is how you get away with going 80 in a 65, but passing because you don't believe in driving in packs of people is how you get a ticket for 90 in a 65.
 
I'm pretty certain we still subsidize the meat and dairy industries? I think one huge contributor would be if we ate less meat and dairy, as far as climate change and general environmental harm.

A fair amount of America believes that red meat is something that is okay to eat daily... it's not surprising so many die of heart disease at 60...

I'm a one steak a month kinda guy, I make a real special occasion out of it :teeth

EDIT: oh and salads, those are good for you too... "hAhA yOu eAt mY fOOds FooD" - goes the obese guy
 
Last edited:
Cruising speed for people on most freeways these days is 75-80mph. If you do not believe in driving in packs with people, 90mph is just necessary for passing. :dunno

Truth. BTW, it's very rare to see an EV lapping at trackdays session after session...much less lapping period. The weight is a lap time killer on a stock car.
 
I drove in the bay area for years and could probably count the number of times I went above 90 in my car on one hand.

A few more on the bike, but even then, not many.

x2

Since I live here almost all my driving is in the BA. Passing at 90+ is begging for a citation, as is cruising at 80+.
 
A fair amount of America believes that red meat is something that is okay to eat daily... it's not surprising so many die of heart disease at 60...

I'm a one steak a month kinda guy, I make a real special occasion out of it :teeth

EDIT: oh and salads, those are good for you too... "hAhA yOu eAt mY fOOds FooD" - goes the obese guy

I'd maybe go a bit further and say many people think we, as Americans, are ENTITLED to eat meat once or more meals a day.

I eat meal maybe 2 meals a week at this point, and typically chicken. Not holier-than-thou in any way, but having a vegan wife has been a positive influence...:laughing
 
A fair amount of America believes that red meat is something that is okay to eat daily... it's not surprising so many die of heart disease at 60...

I'm a one steak a month kinda guy, I make a real special occasion out of it :teeth

EDIT: oh and salads, those are good for you too... "hAhA yOu eAt mY fOOds FooD" - goes the obese guy

That does depend on the salad.

Some people make salads are lightly dressed with veggies, maybe a little bit of fruit and nuts. Those are great for you.

On the other hand, some people decide a salad is something heavily dressed, with chicken and ham and cheese and sometimes beef and all other manner of things.

Not so great for you.
 
F'reals. As long as it's not breaded and you're using at least a semi-translucent dressing, you're probably doing okay, imo.
 
I'm pretty certain we still subsidize the meat and dairy industries? I think one huge contributor would be if we ate less meat and dairy, as far as climate change and general environmental harm.

My SO's daughter has chosen to do this. She inspires us to eat less meat on a fairly regular basis when she visits from college. (We still eat dairy though :()
 
F'reals. As long as it's not breaded and you're using at least a semi-translucent dressing, you're probably doing okay, imo.

...at a salad farm next to I5.
 
...at a salad farm next to I5.

great point

Probably locally produced farmer's market would be the best option, right? Next would be the i5 route. worst would be imported from another state or country. It's annoying the local supers even offer shit from other countries, but apparently the overhead on growing locally costs more than growing and shipping halfway around the world.
 
Back
Top