• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Other obsessions?

That's awesome, Tim-That CX Guy! Any recommendations on a good rife for targets and possible home defense? (We live country-adjacent with coyotes and possible mountain lions). I figure, with a lever action and a shoulder strap, I could hold/fire and cycle the lever fairly easily and not have to worry about jamming (like I frequently do on my semi-auto 10-22)

I currently have a Ruger 10-22 and a 6" Colt Python inherited/gifted to me by my dad that I take to the range a few times a year. Been wanting something like a AR15 but decided that it's too much headache in CA... so I've been eyeing getting a Marlin 1894 Lever-Action .357 Magnum, so I can use the same rounds in the pistol and the rifle - I'd thought about going with bigger calibers (eg 30-30) but it just seem to be more practical to go with the option that unifies all my (cheap .38/.357) ammo between the revolver and rifle.
look at a keltec su-16.its a .223 in rifle form-cal legal and 1/2 the price of a mini-14.check out buds guns online.also rimfire rifles like ar-22 are legal in cali with all the trimmins.9mm isn't to expensive,you can get pistol and carbine to share ammo-check out hi-point 9mm carbine.

look at a keltec su-16.its a .223 in rifle form-cal legal and 1/2 the price of a mini-14
I have not used them hardly at all, and I understand they're eminently practical. But, I've never warmed to their "plasticy" feel.

I have not used them hardly at all, and I understand they're eminently practical. But, I've never warmed to their "plasticy" feel.
definately plasticy,but legal without a fin

That is a SICK pic! can't imagine the feeling....now you've got me thinking! Water is the universe's best kept playground.
Those are some cool hobbies.

You would for sure love kiting. Bay Area is a kiting Mecca. Tons of places all over, just a short drive, great wind season, friendly community, waves or no waves, endless progression, such a sick sport. Season is winding down now but could get some days in. Alameda crown beach is the best place to learn (and they give lessons).

Love to watch those guys at Waddell Creek. Sure does look fun. :thumbup

Tiny cars - After a trip to Italy in 2019 spent bombing up and down the Amalfi Coast in a rental 595 Turismo I spent the last four years building a barely-street-legal trackday toy out of an ABARTH 500. 2100 pounds, 300+ horsepower on E85. It's my first ever venture into cages as more than a means of transportation or hauling a trailer pulling something to a racetrack. It's been fun so far. Cages are a lot harder than bikes, everything is a bitch to get to and far apart.

Sim racing - (in VR) I hold an iRacing 'pro' license and get in a couple races a week in a private league. I also own and operate modded Assetto Corsa drift servers for some private online communities and spend a lot of time teaching people how to drift or running tandems.

Drifting IRL - Which lead to me buying a 2003 350Z earlier this year. I'm in the process of building into a comp-car for entry into Formula DRIFT Pro/AM next season.

3D printing / 3D scanning. Mostly because I make a lot of parts for the cars this way. Currently designing a true cold-air intake for the ABARTH because all the aftermarket solutions suck hot air into the turbo either from the engine bay or asphalt.

For me it’s been skiing and motorcycles all the way down. Where I grew up and lived for a few decades these tended to be nearly mutually exclusive due to the seasons. Now living here i still get a bit confused, especially in March and April when things warm up here in the Bay Area making for great riding, but the spring skiing is rocking up at Tahoe.

Later came cars (a specific German marque which has a passionate global following), and photography.

I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy a very moto-centric life. For over 50 years something moto-related has almost always been in mind one way or another. Mixed in with dogs and Hippie Chicks but I digress. I know there are others of like moto-mind here, but what other things do a noticeable size group of people get as obsessed about? Music comes to mind, but my narrow scope draws a bit of a blank otherwise.

I have more than enough:

1. Fly fishing gear
2. Guitars
3. Pendleton shirts

2 things that my unfortunate neurological thing have cost me, my daily sunrise 5 mile run, and skiing. I try not to think about that aspect of MS, but it totally claimed my personal superpowers; sprinting, skiing. Not being wheelchaired has to be enough. And I seriously doubt that at 72 years old I'd still be accepting 100meter challenges from the neighborhood kids.

Attachments

• js_Alta.jpg
    js_Alta.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting topic........ I've always owned motorcycles since a very early age... and still own multiple ones today at 55. Couldn't imagine life without one, and tried many different motorcycling disciplines with various levels of commitment over the years. Never really considered my life moto centric, friendship circles probably evenly divided between riders and non riders. To my non moto friends, I am motorcyclist which I always find funny as my interests are far beyond that. To me, moto's have always been at least as much about socializing as the thrill of them.

Enjoyed the typical team sports as a kid, teen, and young adult while also riding. Played football, and even Lacrosse (though college.) Enjoyed fishing, hunting, shooting.... sailing, windsurfing, and skiing. Was an instructor for the latter two in my early twenties for a number of years, probably the only two things I was truly obsessed with. Still sail a lot, a bit of paddleboarding, and would like to get back into shape enough to windsurf at a reasonable level again.

Been playing volleyball most of my life, still competing and winning leagues right up to covid with the team I've captained for decades. To be far, I am an average player with a knack for getting the right players on my team. :teeth Like to get back to that, as well as try pickleball... as another poster mentioned or maybe pick up tennis again. Told myself I want to get back into sporting clays too. Never a lack of things I want to do. Time, money, and opportunity is always the limiting factor.

Played the APA pool league for many years, and still enjoy picking up a cue in the right dive bar.

Was into sports cars for years when I was younger, starting small with crappy British sports cars, moving on to Z's, and then some Porsches. Now if I want to go fast, which is rare, I get on a motorcycle or dirt bike (which is what I ride most often these days.) The Mini Cooper is merely transportation, fun, and easy to park when in the city. Just sold my well fitted out Land Rover..... and bought a new 4runner which I am very lightly building for camping and Baja trips. Fun learning about and getting into a new vehicle, and hopefully wrench on it less than the Land Rover. The British thing is hard to quit...... the Disco II being probably the vehicle I've loved the most, the 911 or Miata being a close second. :toothless

Always followed politics, the markets, economics, and news from an early age. Was part of my career in investments, and still do, a hour or two daily. Still enjoy discussing, even debating them today with the right folks.

Not really a collector, but do enjoy acquiring and lightly modding Seiko automatic watches. Then their are the Pendleton shirts and flannels..... maybe the Oregon influence on my life, and can't pass up a deal on a proper vintage wool one. Certainly have a collection of the vintage Orvis, USA made by Gokey, canvas and leather hunting bags and luggage. So maybe I am a collector too.... :facepalm

Anyways, lots of interests. Not even sure I've hit all of them, but Moto's are cool too. :thumbup More so, most people around Moto's are cool, which is why I enjoy just hanging around the campfire at Stonybarf events, maybe even more than riding.

Last edited:
Bachata - a Latin social dance similar to salsa, but slower, smoother, and more sensual.

Got so into it that I started my own dance company about three years ago, and have been teaching bachata full time since then.

Here's a recent video:

That’s impressive!

Bachata - a Latin social dance similar to salsa, but slower, smoother, and more sensual.

Got so into it that I started my own dance company about three years ago, and have been teaching bachata full time since then.

Here's a recent video:
OMG - this reminds me a bridal shower i went to a few years ago. we’re all drinking and having fun, and then someone changes the music and says ‘let’s dance’. a few of the women were colombian, and they jumped up immediately and started dancing. the rest of us were like - wtf?!?! they were crazy amazing. they kept trying to get the rest of us to join in, but there was no way. not one taker. we would have embarrassed ourselves. badly lol.

Guitars and Lego. I have kind of a problem with the latter. :laughing

:thumbup My nephew inherited my immense Lego collection. He's a senior in high school now, but we still build stuff on family vacations.

You guys wanna open a LegoBar™️? I'm totally in...I'm telling you, it'll be THE date place!

Back