• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Even though I have a real nice house to live in, I gotta get out once in a while. Went down to the Snake River again, way south of where I live. Wanted to see if it was any easier on an XR650L than on a 790R.

I went down the easier route, but came back out on the more difficult one. Still managed to get stuck once and kill the engine in the super rocky section. Didn't let the bike fall over, though and was able to continue on once I picked a better line. You have to stay about five moves ahead working your way through big uphill rocks and if you get behind you can end up trying to go over a big rock instead of around it.

This is the dirt road that gets you to the easier route down to the river.
9RytVNO.jpg

There are farms down there, on the other side of the river.
6EhsNcC.jpg

Apparently roads to the farm houses too.
9Dvc6B6.jpg

The tumbleweeds are trying to cover up the road out there. Never seen them like this before.
9yDV5WB.jpg

I always wondered if anybody ever hits the cows in the open range area. Apparently they do once in a while. A good reason to go slower when there are cows near the road.
UCrAIct.jpg

Had to take the bike in for a service on the front wheel so I had to take the long way home.

Lincoln Blvd in The Presdio,

Random Log Cabin facade

Presidio Housing.. Not a bad location to live

Polo Fields,

Just another day up in the hills. Probably the last real ride for a while. It was a good one!

XKIRk2Oh.jpg

13o69T2h.jpg

JFWFijMh.jpg

FzApoWMh.jpg

jHBfbsIh.jpg

cjEBJZUh.jpg

8gT2CbMh.jpg

Memories :thumbup

Attachments

• DE16D132-4401-4EAC-838B-0C1057B074EC.jpg
    DE16D132-4401-4EAC-838B-0C1057B074EC.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 347
Hunting for wahtahhhh

Attachments

• 2FE1D0EB-B4E0-46F8-88E9-0F362C2D1A64.jpg
    2FE1D0EB-B4E0-46F8-88E9-0F362C2D1A64.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 60
More from my 3/15 ride. Looking at these pictures makes me miss riding up Mt Hamilton on a rainy day like today so much.

2y8Mpzu.jpg

PJvEkhq.jpg

BsxWY5i.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday. I'm probably bending the Social Distancing rules a bit too far with this ride, but I had to get out. With that out of my system, I can probably stay out of the dirt for a few weeks.

Yet another photo at the top of Wilson Peak, first time with this bike, though.
7pnFYMl.jpg

Heading down from the peak. It's rough, but not steep enough to be seriously difficult. A WeeStrom could make it up this road.
sDZcBaH.jpg

The whole purpose of this ride was to see where road 37154 goes, down the other side of the peak. I turned around when it got rough when I was here on my 790R, with another rider. Thought it might be easier on an XR650L.

The warning sign a ways up the road from where it gets difficult. Somebody wrote under the caution part "Not kidding" in silver marker.
86UCJ5a.jpg

This doesn't convey how steep and rough this section is. I walked down it a ways to find out how far the rough part was. I decided that I had about a 90% chance of making it down and maybe a 75% chance of making it back up if I had to. Later issues on a different road would drop that estimate to a 50-60% chance. If I got injured or broke something major, somebody would probably come past there - in a week or two - maybe. Not worth the risk. Time to turn around and go see where the other end of this road is.
W22ouC7.jpg

The other end of Road 37154. Another warning about continuing on the road. You can see it heading up into the steep rough part. I went up it until it started to look seriously difficult.
FUx6bHk.jpg

Went up the road a ways and decided it would be incredibly dumb to continue on alone. It's hard to show how steep this is. Where I'm standing to take the photo is steep and it just gets steeper and rougher.
pA12CCG.jpg

Crash testing the XR on a different side road. It held up well and was way easier to pick up than the 790R. This was not all that difficult of an uphill section, but I hit a rock wrong, got off my line, stopped forward motion and dumped it. I didn't manage to get off while still standing like I usually do.
WtdpSND.jpg

Twins in Hayfork for fuel. Simply the BEST 'out of the box' bike we have ever ridden. And the guy I rode with buys 2 new top shelf bikes each year.

Attachments

• 890 Duke R3.jpg
    890 Duke R3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 890 Duke R4.jpg
    890 Duke R4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 60
Up on top of Kneeland road, above Eureka.

Attachments

• 890 Duke R7.jpg
    890 Duke R7.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 51
I remember as a kid going by those barracks and they were active, soldiers everywhere in the old (Vietnam era) slim cut green uniforms. On weekends the training area that is now Preston Park housing was opened up to off road motos, it’s where I learned to ride.

Rode to work today... the SIP task force followed me and one was waiting in the parking lot for me when I rolled in the DW.

Man... the Officer in the SUV (not in the pic - the one that followed me) took a long look at me as I went into my office.. either that or he likes Ducati's. :teeth

2 more miles.. I am going to wear out my bike with this commute. :laughing

Attachments

• Duc 4.14.29.jpg
    Duc 4.14.29.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Duc.. 4.14.29.jpg
    Duc.. 4.14.29.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 82
Lots of roadwork going on Hwy 1 on the way to Big Sur since traffic is lighter and the marathon has been postponed, but I had to go to the Highlands.

Here’s a another shot of a serene spring day off Spindrift.

picture.php

Rode to work today... the SIP task force followed me and one was waiting in the parking lot for me when I rolled in the DW.

Man... the Officer in the SUV (not in the pic - the one that followed me) took a long look at me as I went into my office.. either that or he likes Ducati's. :teeth

2 more miles.. I am going to wear out my bike with this commute. :laughing

Haha I bet that felt good to know you weren't doing anything wrong

Back