• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Ken, good to see you back up on the RZ so quickly. Did you happen to stop and look at the "turn of concern" from your last excursion on Mines Rd?

Thanks Julian. My left knee is still sore but needed to get back out after crash repairs. I did kind of look for the turn of concern but confidence is a bit low and watching for the gouged asphalt and a chunk of clutch lever wasn't working out. I don't think I will find that magical spot. As I think about it more it's possible due to very good front brakes, I may have grabbed too much brake with my left hand off the bars waving and the front locked and washed out.

That's my latest theory.

A short ride into Mattole Rd. & forest,

I saw a white rabbit with top hat, dive into this tree, I can't fit to follow.

Still more wildflowers available, started back in Feb in Morro Bay.

Attachments

• IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 82
At the land of Yep

50085522667_6aeae5c7ff_c.jpg

The goal of this ride was to explore some of the roads at the end of 377 that had gates across them until recently. I was just up there on Friday, feeling the need to do some exploring.

This is where 377 starts, down by Arrowrock Reservoir.
SNaOxPF.jpg

This is the forest service map, showing the region to explore. Anything marked in orange is what I've already ridden. Okay, before and after photos. Everything out to Highway 21 is new today.
ROtW0i1.jpg
XC0xsvc.jpg

The first road was 202B, which I rode to the end, slightly past where the map showed that it ended. As you can see from the condition of the road, they get very little traffic through here.
0jW0pCC.jpg

End of the road.
ypp2WpI.jpg

Actually, somebody on a serious dirt bike could go further. I looked at it and decided it would be a bad idea to try taking an adventure bike through this little "ravine", which would have been coming from left to right getting across. If I didn't make it, I would have a difficult time getting the bike out of there.
tn66hIV.jpg

After coming back out I headed up 202C a little ways. It was a bit steep and I decided not worth going to the end. Next was 202. I could have gotten past this tree blocking most of the road, but decided, once again, that it was a good point to turn around.
F381TyR.jpg

Coming back out all the way to where I first entered, the next plan was to see if 240 and 240B went all the way out. This is where 240 becomes 240B. Not a bad road at all up along the ridge.
A1hZTQj.jpg

After riding a long ways, I came around a corner and saw roads and buildings down below. I was sure it would come out at the main road at this point.
VqSe8IU.jpg

This is where it comes out at Highway 21. I never would have guessed that you could get all the way up into the hills from here.
tF6th87.jpg

Mt Hamilton

cgN45dZ.jpg

San Antonio Valley Rd

mlXiQb2.jpg

Mines Rd

VyxOSAw.jpg

chKKKBy.jpg

Last edited:
Advanced Cycle Service.

The front tire had a leak but I couldn't find any nail holes. It turned out the inner tube had a leak on the side, apparently where it rubbed against a paper sticker left inside the tire. That's crazy!

ZFJj4Xu.jpg

KGvspId.jpg

This Shinko 705 rear tire had 4,017 miles on the 690SM. It looks like the Shinko 705 rear on my R1200GS will last around 4,500 miles. (The Pilot Road 4 was from another guy who got his tire changed before me this morning; he did a burn out right before the change.)

b1NSLpP.jpg

Bridgestone T31, my go-to tires now.

aMzconi.jpg

klFxzVb.jpg

Last edited:
Naturally, I headed up Mt Hamilton Rd to see how the new tires feel.

This brush fire looked pretty impressive from Alum Rock area.

hSOpuNP.jpg

The fire didn't look so bad from higher up and farther away.

CL5P6MR.jpg

Bridgestone T31s at 30 psi felt a little "dead" on this bike; the rear didn't feel as light as I expected. Compared to the Shinko 705 rear (150/70R17), the bike on T31 rear (160/60R17 - stock size) does seem to roll better, deeper, and stick better.

BTW, when I rode down Quimby Rd, a whole bunch of Lamborghinis were heading uphill - I counted 34 of them. So many rich people!

4QZFtOz.jpg

Last edited:
Nice exploring!! I love it.

The goal of this ride was to explore some of the roads at the end of 377 that had gates across them until recently. I was just up there on Friday, feeling the need to do some exploring.

This is where 377 starts, down by Arrowrock Reservoir.
SNaOxPF.jpg

This is the forest service map, showing the region to explore. Anything marked in orange is what I've already ridden. Okay, before and after photos. Everything out to Highway 21 is new today.
ROtW0i1.jpg
XC0xsvc.jpg

The first road was 202B, which I rode to the end, slightly past where the map showed that it ended. As you can see from the condition of the road, they get very little traffic through here.
0jW0pCC.jpg

End of the road.
ypp2WpI.jpg

Actually, somebody on a serious dirt bike could go further. I looked at it and decided it would be a bad idea to try taking an adventure bike through this little "ravine", which would have been coming from left to right getting across. If I didn't make it, I would have a difficult time getting the bike out of there.
tn66hIV.jpg

After coming back out I headed up 202C a little ways. It was a bit steep and I decided not worth going to the end. Next was 202. I could have gotten past this tree blocking most of the road, but decided, once again, that it was a good point to turn around.
F381TyR.jpg

Coming back out all the way to where I first entered, the next plan was to see if 240 and 240B went all the way out. This is where 240 becomes 240B. Not a bad road at all up along the ridge.
A1hZTQj.jpg

After riding a long ways, I came around a corner and saw roads and buildings down below. I was sure it would come out at the main road at this point.
VqSe8IU.jpg

This is where it comes out at Highway 21. I never would have guessed that you could get all the way up into the hills from here.
tF6th87.jpg

Going up Calaveras early due to heat. 10 billion bicyclists were on this road.

JuxVtFoh.jpg

ukCf0bwh.jpg

The end of Marsh Road

SZbzXeWh.jpg

The reservoir from this end. Earlier pic was directly across from here.

hnmXXtth.jpg

Bugs Bunny

gJVAceIh.jpg

The other end of Calaveras Road

IgcNXm5h.jpg

h13GxlEh.jpg

KortdEeh.jpg

I was done with photos until I rode for a bit with the visor cracked open and got a direct left eye bug hit. So pulled over for a bit for eye functionality restoration.

owxCXH8h.jpg

Today's riding goal: Pilot Peak north of Idaho City.

Riding through the forest on the way up. The road started out easy and became much more difficult the closer that I got. Definitely not a newbie friendly road in the steeper sections.

T1TlF46.jpg

It's not all forest up there. Some meadows and some areas with lower shrubs.

GjVWPkr.jpg

That thing on the top of the hill that looks like a cabin is the goal. It's actually a bunch of solar panels.

t3mWnXJ.jpg

One stream crossing on the way in. No way around this one. Because the water doesn't move much, it looked like soft mud. No way to tell what was under there. I chose the right side because it looks shallower. There was a hole almost a foot deep half way through. Got my feet wet getting through that.

FDdJAI5.jpg

Here I am at the top with the sawtooth mountains in the background. The view was like this in all directions.

5YnPMRO.jpg

Heading back down the easier way, it's not all green forest. Apparently a fire went through here a few years ago.

p5rW932.jpg

When I'm in Idaho City at lunch time, a stop at Trudy's Kitchen is mandatory. They don't worry much about masks or social distancing in this town.

zHXkQg4.jpg

:applause

Today's riding goal: Pilot Peak north of Idaho City.

Riding through the forest on the way up. The road started out easy and became much more difficult the closer that I got. Definitely not a newbie friendly road in the steeper sections.

T1TlF46.jpg

It's not all forest up there. Some meadows and some areas with lower shrubs.

GjVWPkr.jpg

That thing on the top of the hill that looks like a cabin is the goal. It's actually a bunch of solar panels.

t3mWnXJ.jpg

One stream crossing on the way in. No way around this one. Because the water doesn't move much, it looked like soft mud. No way to tell what was under there. I chose the right side because it looks shallower. There was a hole almost a foot deep half way through. Got my feet wet getting through that.

FDdJAI5.jpg

Here I am at the top with the sawtooth mountains in the background. The view was like this in all directions.

5YnPMRO.jpg

Heading back down the easier way, it's not all green forest. Apparently a fire went through here a few years ago.

p5rW932.jpg

When I'm in Idaho City at lunch time, a stop at Trudy's Kitchen is mandatory. They don't worry much about masks or social distancing in this town.

zHXkQg4.jpg

Back