• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

That is a great photo. I need to start getting more artistic.

Thanks! It helps to have such great material to work with, i.e. the amazing natural beauty of California (it’s not like I have a pretty bike :twofinger)

Last edited:
Here are a couple more from my ride yesterday. East side of Monitor Pass.

a200e37e09adea8f8bc47e5ac15925e6b19048cc41fb75ae6cf5080e0a814668.jpg

5d263f2cfd04372d81c10910ec00e4f7bd60ecc6fd638d50be31a002f5391632.jpg

Today's goal, check out the alternate route between Emmett and Horseshoe Bend on the other side of the river. This was an "exploring" ride.

The route between those two towns was as follows: Black Canyon, Plaza, Frozen Dog, Shale Rock, Gatfield, Old Emmett. My GPS wanted me to take other routes pretty much every time there was a turn in a different direction, but this is what I wanted and included the most dirt.

I headed out Eagle Road toward Pearl Rd, then took Jackass Gulch (JAG on the signs) toward Emmett. Saw a side road of interest, so decided to check out where it went. It wasn't too tough until it took a left turn straight up the hillside. Not something I want to try with this bike and these tires on it. Much later, while having lunch, there was something prickly on my leg - and it was moving. I had picked up a grasshopper while taking this photo and it waited more than an hour to go exploring.
EMe8eiC.jpg

The Payette River looks nice off of Plaza Rd.
5mL52ra.jpg

Shale Rock Rd had some nice views. This is a route more for the scenery than the great riding. You could easily take a bus through these roads.
FTg5ODk.jpg

Since I was out exploring, I decided to see where Johnson Creek Rd went. At this point I decided it wasn't much fun, so turned around. Checking the map later, it didn't go much further anyway.
yMiRYnQ.jpg

Still only about half-way to Horseshoe bend, but you can see everything from here. The highway on the other side of the river, the river, the train tracks, and the dirt road.
8lYL5ZT.jpg

Once to Horseshoe Bend I took Pearl Rd back. This is a pretty good dirt loop that isn't too hard, other than some of the gravel covered washboard downhill sections.

Idaho has weirdly named roads too.

FTFY

Ok, been some time since I've been up there and it's right in you neck of the woods, over in Caldwell there's:
"Chicken Dinner Rd."

Back here in Cali there's "Dead Cat Alley" in Woodland

(oh, and thanks for posting your "excursions". :thumbup )

Last edited:
FTFY

Ok, been some time since I've been up there and it's right in you neck of the woods, over in Caldwell there's:
"Chicken Dinner Rd."

Back here in Cali there's "Dead Cat Alley" in Woodland

(oh, and thanks for posting your "excursions". :thumbup )

I’ve been on Chicken Dinner Road! :laughing
How can you not turn onto it when you see the name?
PETA actually wants them to change the name, if you can believe that :rolleyes

Hwy 108 on the way to Sonora Pass, earlier today.

Thanks! It helps to have such great material to work with, i.e. the amazing natural beauty of California (it’s not like I have a pretty bike :twofinger)

Agreed with others that the pic on Hwy 108 is great, but I like the Monitor Pass photo with high clouds even more. As for the V-Strom, I never thought the first gen was bad looking; the new ones look pretty nice.

An old pictures, I love the Sierras.

Going Sunday. I will put post in group rides.:thumbup

That's a great shot in the Sierras, Bill! I see your group ride info for this Sunday; I can't make that, but I might steal your route info for a ride up there, hopefully, soon.

Mt Hamilton and San Antonio Valley Rd today. It was pretty warm all the way to Livermore, up to 96F near the Junction. Strangely, I don't recall approaching and riding past the Junction; I was kind of spaced out thinking about the possibility of riding Sonora/Monitor/Ebbetts Pass this Saturday.

8ZMGj8F.jpg

rc7yHSB.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed with others that the pic on Hwy 108 is great, but I like the Monitor Pass photo with high clouds even more. As for the V-Strom, I never thought the first gen was bad looking; the new ones look pretty nice.

Thanks for your kind words! I like your photos too. Re: V-Stroms, I had a 1st gen one, and used to pride myself on how ugly it was - I figure that made it theft-proof. Now they’ve done some major de-uglification - I like it. Here it is at Hauser Bridge earlier today.

50149993017_21acad4f05_k.jpg

Last edited:
Mines Road this morning

zc63Dikh.jpg

The Junction

aD9OnTeh.jpg

SAV Road going up

GEqSIUGh.jpg

2FaTFP6h.jpg

Lick Observatory Area

OxnoJEnh.jpg

nxMCspsh.jpg

The Junction a little after 12 noon

4Uy2Xaqh.jpg

Alpine Rd

qGCDTVn.jpg

Stage Rd

xNxMSzx.jpg

~5,100 mil at 34 psi. (I like the funny looking sad faces on this tire.) The left side's pretty worn and the profile is shot, so it wouldn't tip in naturally. It required a lot more effort on the bar for quick transitions going downhill on Alpine Rd, but still felt ok going uphill or on Skyline.

ShEv20F.jpg

Last edited:
Sonora Pass yesterday.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 255
Back