• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

post a *PIC* of your latest purchase (can be anything as long as you purchased it)

My Weber 3 burner is over 20 years old. Have replaced the grates and Flavorizer Bars. I found SS bars so should last many more years. :thumbup

The Weber I just got has the SS grates. I specifically wanted that. Of course it only came on the one that costs a small fortune. But I remember the grates on my last grill (Char-Broil) had the usual enameled cast iron setup. Didn’t last long.

Thinking about picking up a set of those flavorizer bars to keep on hand for when the time comes.

Just picked this bad boy up, quite an upgrade from my 2016 Superduke. :thumbup

Attachments

• 127575570_705354823729822_3613394688480877709_n.jpg
    127575570_705354823729822_3613394688480877709_n.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 39
What will the home owners insurance be like????

ya they're probably going to be through the roof. Worth looking into before you rebuild G. You may very well have trouble even finding anyone to insure it. I had a ton of trouble finding one when I was where I was, and mine never burned down. GL

Last edited:
Not surprising I suppose if insurance doesn’t touch homes in forests.
Get a bit ansie now at the thought of being surrounded by forest and the likelihood of being burned to death.

Not surprising I suppose if insurance doesn’t touch homes in forests.
Get a bit ansie now at the thought of being surrounded by forest and the likelihood of being burned to death.

Insurance will drop you so quick your head will spin. Same thing is happening here in the South due to hurricanes. Your house insurance is due to be renewed and then you find out you can't renew because that company is no longer insuring people in your area due to exposure from weather related events so now you are high and dry even though you have not filed a claim in 10 years.

I was non renewed by my insurance company for my mountain home because of the fire risk.

I had to go with the California Fair Plan for the fire insurance portion and my regular home owners insurance covered everything else.

Be prepared for probable $$$ shock on the Fair Plan - DO SHOP AROUND as there were significant price differences

I bought this a while back. Should be delivered this week. I've been sleeping on a recliner, the couch, my camping mat and a cot depending what strikes my mood. I'm looking forward to a big comfy bed with crisp, clean linens.

Attachments

• mattress.jpg
    mattress.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 27
Sleeping is good. Sleeping on a comfy mattress is even better.

Wow folks have been scoring some cool stuff! A quality grill is essential to a good home life!

What will the home owners insurance be like????

It won’t. Taking words once uttered by Beauregard California Fair Plan “ just like being uninsured only more expensive.”

We’ve installed and continue to build an exstensive fire fighting arsenal. This time next year we will probably have banked over 100k gallons of water stored underground with melt point triggers.
Had we owned this property as opposed to being in escrow when it burnt, the loss would have been prevented. When we choose to live in high risk areas it’s up to us to mitigate risk.

This time next year we will probably have banked over 100k gallons of water stored underground with melt point triggers.

What does this mean?

Do you have a pressurize, 100K gallon tank(s) underground and when a plug(?) melts the sprinkler goes off (outside I assume)?

You have this (the sprinklers, not the 100K tank) on your roof or something?

What does this mean?

Do you have a pressurize, 100K gallon tank(s) underground and when a plug(?) melts the sprinkler goes off (outside I assume)?

You have this (the sprinklers, not the 100K tank) on your roof or something?

Right now there is only the garage/shop standing. We converted some of our lift bags into water tanks and have partially buried them about 50’ above the home site. We are running 1 1/2” pipe in a trench roughly 3’ deep that will run the sprinkler system. They can be operated manually or via a heat triggered switch in the event we aren’t present. With these fires the only way you’re going to save your property is to fight the fire yourself. During the Lightning Complex fire we have a bunch of barfers that stayed and saved their homes.

Right now there is only the garage/shop standing. We converted some of our lift bags into water tanks and have partially buried them about 50’ above the home site. We are running 1 1/2” pipe in a trench roughly 3’ deep that will run the sprinkler system. They can be operated manually or via a heat triggered switch in the event we aren’t present. With these fires the only way you’re going to save your property is to fight the fire yourself. During the Lightning Complex fire we have a bunch of barfers that stayed and saved their homes.

So that plan then is on the new home to install a roof based sprinkler system, and one for the property surrounding the home?

The water pressure come from the 50 foot elevation of the buried bags (I assume a "lift bag" was a large air bladder used for lifting heavy things?).

According to this https://calculator.academy/water-pressure-elevation-calculator/#f1p1 50 feet should give about 21 PSI of water.

According to this https://hy-techroofdrains.com/water-flow-through-a-pipe/ with a 1.5" pipe and 21 PSI you should get about 80 gallons per minute, 4800 gallons per hour. Which suggests you have about 20 hr of water in the tank.

Is that flow rate enough? I guess as long as the water outlasts the nearby fire, even if very hot, its got to be better than nothing.

have you thought about bulldozing the surrounding trees to create a safe space around the house also?

Being in a hurricane zone I have taken out all trees within 50 feet of the house so that I don't have one crashing into my house during a storm. It sucks because my energy bill is high in summer due to no shade but I figure that is cheaper in the long run than paying outrageous deductibles to rebuild the house. I have seen too many oak trees on their side after a storm to risk that happening.

I can't even imagine wildfire life at least I have days of warning and tracking to let me know what is going to happen.

named storm deductibles suck that is why I am suspicious of the new trend of naming winter storms and think the insurance companies have a hand in it so they can raise the deductibles for winter storms also.

Back