• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

R.I.P. fellow barfer SERGEY VARAKSIN 07/30/2016

Hey guys, my name is Vlad. I just found out about this and joined BARF. I'm still in shock that he's gone. Sergey was an amazing friend and I will miss him. This guy was always up to do something, whether it's go for a ride, take a road trip, or just kick back and grab a beer. I don't know what else to say, just incredibly sad that he's gone. Here is a picture of us at a Laguna event last year:

12045748_765873636891152_7916955537913707315_o.jpg

Sorry for your loss Vlad - condolences to you, his family and his other friends.

It's a shame to meet you under these sad circumstances but I still feel a welcome to Barf is in order.
:newbie
Welcome aboard, Vlad.
I hope to see you around here often.
I'm sincerely sorry about the loss of your friend.

Vlad, my condolences and thank you for sharing the photo. We have a meet in SF each week on Wednesdays. Come to one and let us get you a beer. :)

I've been in touch with Sergey's mother, his friends, his employer, and the coroner's office, and trying to get a hold of the SF public administrator to figure out what to do with Sergey's assets.

Does anyone know if full coverage on motorcycle (assuming he had it) covers any of the expenses for funeral etc? I'm still waiting to hear back from Sergey's employer as to the level of insurance he had. Unfortunately his mom is retired and not well-off, nor does she have a visa/means/know the language to get to USA quickly.

What normally happens in these situations?

His mother called me this morning... This one really hits close to home. Guy is my age and I ride those roads a lot.

I have passed his mother's contact to the coroner and they will be in touch.

You’re a good person to reach out and help a family like that.

** Vlad - Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Last edited:
I've been in touch with Sergey's mother, his friends, his employer, and the coroner's office, and trying to get a hold of the SF public administrator to figure out what to do with Sergey's assets.

Does anyone know if full coverage on motorcycle (assuming he had it) covers any of the expenses for funeral etc? I'm still waiting to hear back from Sergey's employer as to the level of insurance he had. Unfortunately his mom is retired and not well-off, nor does she have a visa/means/know the language to get to USA quickly.

I don't know man... wish I could help you out with that. Really sad for his Mom to be in that position. :(

I got his email from Vlad, but that did not hook up to a barf ID. He could have signed up with a work email. I really don't know how to find that out at his point.

So sad. I think I would start with the Russian Consulate. I'm sure that Sergey's assets would be passed on to his direct family if he did not have a will stating otherwise. A lawyer would need to get involved.

There must be a way to appoint someone power of attorney to handle his affairs and make sure his assets are handled correctly.

Does anyone know how to help get this started?

RIP Sergey :rip

Like others have said, I'm sure we would have been friends.

The surge of support in this community around downed riders is truly remarkable. Thanks to everyone who has carried the burden of communicating with the family.

Vlad, I'm truly sorry to meet you because of this, but honestly a major accident on a ride I was on a month ago was the impetus that got me active in this community. I hope you stick around, I sure plan to.

Someone could always try a gofundme page. We may not raise a ton of money but we may raise enough to make the difference. :dunno

You can get into the US quite quickly if she can prove that she is in fact related to the deceased.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ApplyforEmergencyVisa.html

As far as insurance goes, it all really depends on the company, and the level of insurance he had. Add in a 401K, and life insurance and things get complicated quickly.

What really needs to happen is, a close family member needs to come to the US, or they need to appoint a power of attorney that can do all this for them. A lot of things are happening right now in the back ground, and they need to be dealt with quickly before it gets even more expensive. The rent on his apartment is due (where all his stuff is), his bank accounts may be frozen, his insurance payments aren't being met, the family is paying a storage fee for his body, and the motorcycle is most likely still in impound.

You're doing a great job so far, and I commend you for putting your time into the hands of strangers. The hard part is looming on the horizon though, and a family member needs to get involved locally, and quickly on whatever level they can.

This is such a sad thing all around. I couldn't even imagine.

I just want to say condolences to all who knew Sergey and thank you to anyone who has or can help his family handle these.matters.
I sincerely hope you can help put the pieces together to return him home without any additional burden on his family.

So sad. I think I would start with the Russian Consulate. I'm sure that Sergey's assets would be passed on to his direct family if he did not have a will stating otherwise. A lawyer would need to get involved.

There must be a way to appoint someone power of attorney to handle his affairs and make sure his assets are handled correctly.

Does anyone know how to help get this started?

My neighbor is an attorney, I'll ask him today if he has any suggestions.
As his mother, I'm pretty sure she can give someone power of attorney to act on her behalf, whether they're kin or not... but having someone here to handle things is going to be the important part.

Again, mrzuzzo, I want to commend you for taking such an active role in helping his family.
This is just so sad...
Tony won't be home until this evening, but I'll check with him and see what he says.

I'll try to show and hoist one in his honor. Thanks for posting this.

To be honest, I think donations for his family / mother in Russia would be way more appropriate than a skatepark in India ..

Back